Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a pair of 4 pad 998/999 calipers to put on my ST4s but when they arrived one pad out of the 8 was missing, does anyone have any spares lying around?

Thanks,

Craig

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
I actually have a set out of some calipers I picked up for the 916. Same Brembo pads, about 25% worn, maybe less. Some a bit more. These don't seem to wear evenly per pad. I can't imagine it would be inexpensive to ship, but if you want to cover the shipping, you can have them. I could get them out Monday morning.

I'll offer that I replaced them with a set of Vesrah pads that are fantastic. Vesrah PN is VD-986JL. They are inexpensive compared to EBC or other better known brands, although Vesrah are a pretty well known brand as well, just not ones we hear about very often around here. They go for the mid $40.00 USD on eBay for one caliper.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
You won't hear much about many lower priced parts on Ducati forums because The fan base equates price with quality and rejects parts based purely on a lower price.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
You won't hear much about many lower priced parts on Ducati forums because The fan base equates price with quality and rejects parts based purely on a lower price.
That's an invalid statement.

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I actually have a set out of some calipers I picked up for the 916. Same Brembo pads, about 25% worn, maybe less. Some a bit more. These don't seem to wear evenly per pad. I can't imagine it would be inexpensive to ship, but if you want to cover the shipping, you can have them. I could get them out Monday morning.

I'll offer that I replaced them with a set of Vesrah pads that are fantastic. Vesrah PN is VD-986JL. They are inexpensive compared to EBC or other better known brands, although Vesrah are a pretty well known brand as well, just not ones we hear about very often around here. They go for the mid $40.00 USD on eBay for one caliper.
Thanks Dan, just what I was hoping for, I will PM you.

Craig

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry to go a little off topic, but are these calipers a worthwhile upgrade for street riding?
Probably!

I am also adding 19 RCS RADIAL Master cylinder too, just awaiting its arrival from Italy. >:)
I have the same setup on my 998 and love their strength!

Craig

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cheers Craig,

I'll start looking for a pair then...
David
Hi,

When you posted I thought you were asking if this was overkill and yes it probably is, but I love my 998 brakes and want the ST4s to be equal to the task as it is heavier especially when loaded.

The calipers are not easy to come by but they show up from time to time. Gotham Cycles have them, but I paid a 1/4 of their asking price.
Shop Aprillia and KTM as they used the same calipers on some models.

Be warned you will need to change brake lines as well, as they fit differently, vertically rather than horizontally

Some people say they are equally strong as the later billet jobs but not the finesse of the later stuff. I don't care.

With my 998, I can 1 finger brake all day.

Good luck with your search.

Here's a photo

Craigs

Attachments

·
Tightly Clenched...
962 Posts
I did the same thing, bought them from a wrecked 999 to put on my S4 Monster as they were a major upgrade over the Monster's. Never installed them, sold the bike, callipers sat in a box for years. Turns out the same upgrade is popular with the Sport Classic guys, almost put them on my GT1000 with a kit...sold that...I've never actually got round to installing anything! lol

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did the same thing, bought them from a wrecked 999 to put on my S4 Monster as they were a major upgrade over the Monster's. Never installed them, sold the bike, callipers sat in a box for years. Turns out the same upgrade is popular with the Sport Classic guys, almost put them on my GT1000 with a kit...sold that...I've never actually got round to installing anything! lol
Not many people know about them and how good they are. Cunts like me have kept it quiet until I achieved my goals.

Craig

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
I've left my 998 brakes bog stock. They are that good that I just wouldn't change anything, not even for the bling. I think what makes them are the four pads. A lot of leading edges.

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
They do feel better at the lever. Four 34mm pistons pushing four individual pads evenly against the rotor vs. two 30mm and two 34mm pistons pushing two larger pads not so evenly against the rotor. I've read the large bridge / brace center top of the caliper eliminates caliper flex further improving the feel. Who knows? I road both the 916 and ST yesterday. ST with the original 2 pad calipers to pick up some stuff at the store, then the 916 with the 4P calipers later in the day for some back road fun. The difference in brake feel and power is very notable. Some of this is different pads, no doubt, but not the firm lever feel and feedback. Both bikes have the 998 style "star" rotors. ST has EBC HH sintered and the 916 has the sintered Vesrahs.

I did grab a set of the 4Ps for the ST from eBay. All this talk got me looking again and I found a set from an early Aprilla RSV 1000r, already have the lines as I have been considering doing this to the ST for a while. Nice thing about looking outside of Ducati for these, aside from being generally less expensive, is they will normally be gold colored rather than silver the 749/999 bikes came with. Not such a big deal, but I like the look better personally.

·
Premium Member
5,725 Posts
Sorry to go a little off topic, but are these calipers a worthwhile upgrade for street riding?
I can't really make a comparison as I've never ridden with anything but the 4 pad OEM calipers on the 748R... that being said, I never need to ride with anything more than two fingers on the brake lever. They are VERY impressive...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts