Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
With all due respect, what a hack job. Looks like they utilized a hand grinder to remove the extra material. WTF.

If I decide to drop the money to install SBK brakes on my bike, I'll find a qualified shop experienced with a mill to machine the extra material away. Maybe they're trying to show "How to install SBK brakes onto your SportClassic with tools you currently have in your garage". :)

Like I said previously, I don't want to offend anyone if that's your Sport1000, but imo that really looks bad aesthetically, not to mention what it may do to the integrity of the caliper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes, the proper way would be to buy the front calipers, disassemble them, have them milled, then have them recoated gold and reassembled. That is alot of work to not know if the calipers are going to work in the first place. I guess you have never seen a prototype?

My hat is off to them for at least trying it out to see if it would work, I know I would hate to spend $400. for the calipers and another $100. for the brake line only to find out that it would not work.

Mike



MH900e0652 said:
With all due respect, what a hack job. Looks like they utilized a hand grinder to remove the extra material. WTF.

If I decide to drop the money to install SBK brakes on my bike, I'll find a qualified shop experienced with a mill to machine the extra material away. Maybe they're trying to show "How to install SBK brakes onto your SportClassic with tools you currently have in your garage". :)

Like I said previously, I don't want to offend anyone if that's your Sport1000, but imo that really looks bad aesthetically, not to mention what it may do to the integrity of the caliper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
They should have just done some research. The reason we didnt get the 4-pistons was because of spoke clearance, I could have told you that months ago...found that out from my dealer.

I would agree with the hack job post from before.

2 reasons, in my opinion, why there is no need to go 4-piston.
-1. 2 pistons stop me just fine.
-2. that material was casted on those calipers for a reason. with the psi on the other side of that aluminum, i wouldnt hit with a grinder or a milling machine.

When people figure out that we all bought a visual motorcycle instead of a practical one, days will go a lot better.

I'm sure all the sport riders know about the wind force under the helmet at high speeds, or the un-balance on the right from the exhaust. Is it too agressive and uncomfortable? Possibly...but maybe Italians have longer arms than the rest of us...who knows.

The fact is it. We bought it for what it looks like. When we put our deposits down (and I am speaking of only those of us who waited 2 years for our preorder) all we had was pictures. There were no power ratings set, the suspension changed, hell...the exhaust is even different from the original pics.

We wanted it because its so damn sexy to look at. Spoked-wheels, solo seat, total retro feel.

Just my 2c

-phreek
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
310 Posts
Having spent most of last summer on a race bike at NHIS (Loudon), I definitely feel the brakes are not up to snuff. But I agree, grinding a brake assembly to get it to fit is NOT the way to go, even though I would like something that stops the Sport more quickly.

On the plus side, after 100 miles put on today, I'm up to about 320 miles or so, and I'm having a BLAST :D ! Fun bike, best handling bike out of the box that I've ever owned, and a real head-turner! Great choice, IMHO!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,120 Posts
ducremus said:
Having spent most of last summer on a race bike at NHIS (Loudon), I definitely feel the brakes are not up to snuff.

Fun bike, best handling bike out of the box that I've ever owned, and a real head-turner! Great choice, IMHO!
Yep, if I were taking it on a track I think I would want more brakes . . . but I'm not. I'm too old and too slow for that. :(

And I agree, the is the best handling "out of the box" bike that I have ever owned. (That includes a 748, a 998 and a Monster S4R!) I've never managed to get my chicken strips so narrow. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
310 Posts
Hey, you're never too old as long as you can ride! I didn't start track riding 'til I was fifty, and I had a blast. Learned a lot, was quicker than some but slower than most, survived the season without a crash, and now I'm done with that and focusing on riding fun but safe on the street. Now if only my Zards would get here ;) .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts
I've got to agree that the brakes are more up to the task at hand than I am, but if you really, REALLY want the bigger calipers, why couldn't you just grind down the spokes instead?



I'M KIDDING!:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
Reducs said:
I've got to agree that the brakes are more up to the task at hand than I am, but if you really, REALLY want the bigger calipers, why couldn't you just grind down the spokes instead?
SUPERB IDEA, let me get my hand grinder....BRB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
310 Posts
Dang! Why didn't I think of that? :think:


Seriously though, if I had never ridden a real race bike, I would never know what it's like to have REALLY good brakes and superb handling. Guess I'm spoiled, but once you know what the best is like, it's tough to be satisfied with less than, unless of course it costs to much $$, then second best is just fine with me :D.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
310 Posts
I may have to rethink my position on the brakes: during my very interesting ride today (mashed license plate), I tried pumping the front brake lever-worked like a charm! Mushy lever firmed up and stopping power increased dramatically. So it seems maybe I have air in the lines or something, and that's hopefully why the brakes seem so poor. I'll have the dealer check it out at the 600 mile service and see if that does the trick.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top