Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone - yesterday I rode to Mt. Rainier - my first long ride and by the end of it I felt like the seat was made of concrete and I was riding an angry bee ! Regardless of it all - it was great fun - except for traffic - scalded my balls. I have asym Termis so no cats - still a cooker - I hate traffic!!! It will take me a bit to get used to long rides - this is first summer I have really rode for long hauls - Now I just need an R20 /25 rucksack.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
You need a Ducati comfort seat , if you can find one as they have ceased production , They are quite cheap and good.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
You need a Ducati comfort seat , if you can find one as they have ceased production , They are quite cheap and good.
+1 on the DP comfort seat. Best $149 bucks I spent on my 999 for ergo improvement aside from the FBF clip ons. It has to be the most supportive, comfy motorcycle seat I've ever sat on. Better than my ZRX and CBRXX.
Try Emailing Bursi Evo, Italy and also try Saarland Ducati, Germany. They still advertise them for sale. Otherwise go to Ducati.com and link on the dealer info and call everyone you can. Some dealer might have one left over in stock.
My 999 has an overbore kit and a Termignoni full 54mm exhaust and the exhaust heat never gets uncomfortable at all. I wear kevlar padded jeans and my legs and arse are fine.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I run with a Corbin seat. Firm but perfectly shaped and padded. My ass never hurts, just everything else :)

Try 14 hours on a 916. 600 miles on mixed roads with regular breaks. I was thinking of getting an Iron Butt (base award, 1000 miles in 24 hours) just to say I did that on the least appropriate bike possible, but to be honest at the end of 14 hours I was so spaced out I would not trust myself to do another 400 miles.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
cant you split lanes or is that a commuter faux pas up in the pnw?
From what I understand California is the only state that allows the lane spliting. The whole thing was explained to me once, its sort of a weird law that has something to do with allowing 2 vehicles to occupy the same lane, you cannot go x amount speed faster than the traffic (cant remember the speed, you cannot go back and forth between the lanes, you have to stay in one or the other and. There are a bunch of other rules that go with it, but it is nice... I think, or maybe its just hearsay that originally it had to do with air cooled engines on motorcycles and problems with them overheating.

·
Registered
32 Posts
remove seat cover, add medical grade gel pad with some seat cushion material on top of that...reseat cover and staple in place....voila...a thicker and more comfortable stock looking seat. Grand total...about 40 bucks.

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
From what I understand California is the only state that allows the lane spliting. The whole thing was explained to me once, its sort of a weird law that has something to do with allowing 2 vehicles to occupy the same lane, you cannot go x amount speed faster than the traffic (cant remember the speed, you cannot go back and forth between the lanes, you have to stay in one or the other and. There are a bunch of other rules that go with it, but it is nice... I think, or maybe its just hearsay that originally it had to do with air cooled engines on motorcycles and problems with them overheating.
There is nothing specifically written in the vehicle code regarding lane splitting. You are right, I believe CALIFORNIA is the only state in the union that allows it and thank god for that! I put California in capital letters for those back east or south who talk shit about our state, haha. I was in Portland some years back on business and sidetracked over to the Portland racetrack to check out a Ducati track event. Afterwards I noticed all the motorcyclists in commute traffic just sitting there, baking in the sun. Portland was unusually hot that day. I finally realized lane splitting is illegal there, it just didn't look right. I can't say enough about the benefits of lane splitting, its a motorcyclists life saver and I've contended I would hang up my keys if they ever made it illegal. There are many forces trying to do just that, mainly jealous car drivers with the attitude we are cutting in line. I don't see how any bike could handle stop and go commute traffic without blowing up sometimes, especially air cooled bikes like Harleys. No wonder once overheated there is a safety shut off sensor for one cylinder. Even our bikes are subject to heat damage, we all know our cooling systems aren't that good.

The accepted speed while splitting is no faster than 10mph of existing car traffic. However, we all know this is not always adhered to and this is where I get pissed at the riders who abuse the privilege. Everytime I see a yahoo flying through the lanes at what is not only an illegal but dangerous speed I feel like knocking the asshole off the bike with my car door. If the law is ever overturned it will because of the irresponsible immature showoffs. I'm sure the CHP motor officers nab them as much as they can, but the fines for blatant violations should be a minimum of $500 and up. That will send a message real quick. The worst case of excessive speeding while splitting I've witnessed was last year when some Nazi helmeted little dick passed my stopped location at an estimated 60-65mph! I kid you not. He was riding a Street Glide. I was hoping once traffic started moving I would have seen him on the ground ahead with multiple compound fractures, nose ripped off, fingers missing and his girly chaps wrapped around his assless jeans.

Yep, a different seat on any sportbike is a great help. I had the Sargent on my 916, but contended it was so thick it actually caused more wrist pressure. I midigated it a bit by installing some FBF clipon risers. Recently I installed a Corbin seat on my 999R only because I got a good price on it. I like the looks much more than the Sargent, being more flat, fitting into the seat saddle better with no colored piping or flag and the finish mimicing carbon fiber. Its a beautiful seat, but typical of Corbin its firm to the touch not to mention heavy as well. The firmness is by design and it will eventually conform to my skinny ass and its already showing potential in that direction. Another difference and why Corbin does this, its kind of a pain to install. Does not follow OE connection points like the Sargent does.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I have the time I am going to customize stock seat - replace with different leather etc. and extra padding - may not happen till fall but I think it's a great option that I'm going to do - the more I ride the 999 the more I like it that's for sure.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
250 miles today and it's getting easier to ride - body is adjusting to position - sure was fun - gotta clean the bug guts off - hope everyone has time for some nice twisty scenic rides ;)

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Try some FBF bars and speedy-moto triple clamps, 2 inches and a better bar angle work wonders.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I will only ride 60 to 70 miles at a time, not for comfort issues, the dang gas tank is so small at 70 miles I start looking for a gas station. So I have built in rest periods. It's very easy to run a 999 out of gas.

As for the seat, I have the stock seat, and after riding I have become use to it. No pain. I have had 999 model bikes for over 6 years now, and the current S I have (sporting OEM parts unlimited body work) i find very comfy. I do have heli-bars, which does make a huge difference in overall comfort.

Heat is handled by always wearing leathers, and ensuring the slip on joint is not leaking. I have one of those slip on connections wrapped in "tiger tape", which is a self-sealing heat wrap to ensure no hot exhaust is leaking. Even a small leak there will really cook you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
When I have the time I am going to customize stock seat - replace with different leather etc. and extra padding - may not happen till fall but I think it's a great option that I'm going to do - the more I ride the 999 the more I like it that's for sure.

Sunmark Upholstery in Bellevue did a great job wrapping my seat with gel pad and stitch leather. You may want to check them out.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to everyone for posting - great info - I already have speedy moto triple and still thinking about which company for risers - FBF / Heli ect. I will check out Sunmark - Thanks again - One more work day and then I have 4 off - cant wait to ride again - I may possibly have small leak - damn Termis -

:D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey everyone - yesterday I rode to Mt. Rainier - my first long ride and by the end of it I felt like the seat was made of concrete and I was riding an angry bee ! Regardless of it all - it was great fun - except for traffic - scalded my balls. I have asym Termis so no cats - still a cooker - I hate traffic!!! It will take me a bit to get used to long rides - this is first summer I have really rode for long hauls - Now I just need an R20 /25 rucksack.

As soon as the snow melts off, continue south a bit down to Mt. St. Helens and ride the windy ridge road. It's my favorite road in all of WA. It's on the east side of St. Helens on highway 25 south of Randle. If you really want to punish yourself continue down 25 to Cougar, get some lunch and gas, then turn around and do it again. The roads are better than Rainier's with less traffic. No matter what you do a 400+ mile day on a ducati is going to hurt, but man is it fun! Stop lights, and straight slow roads are just torture, simple as that. Going to Rainier via 410 on the east side is the only way to go. Approaching from the west is brutal.

I hate the ride down to the fun roads so much I've thought about putting the bike in the back of my pickup! I've even been eyeing up a multistrada for road rides and using my 749 just for track days.

·
i'll be here till my 85!
1,102 Posts
got some Ducabike 45MM risers

laying around...

did not install them as i cruise an MTS now...
999 is kept 'clean' :)

grtz

Koen

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 999 as well and enjoy similar sensations when on long rides (4 hours is insane) I'm wrapping my exhaust and getting a new seat to help out (hopefully). Good Luck

1 - 20 of 28 Posts