Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings folks, I have been lurking on this site for a few months now, gathering information as I bought an 04 ST3 a few months ago but just picked it up last week. I live in Whitehorse, Yukon and picked the bike up on Vancouver Island. I took 5 days to ride home, in a less than direct fashion. My previous bike was an '81 R100 RS. I wanted a bike in the same weight range and similar riding style - lean forward. I realized in a short time that those are about the only similarities. I toured through southern British Columbia through the Kootanies, Creston - Kaslo - New Denver - Nakusp (great twisties) up via Revelstoke, Kamloops, Prince George then up the Cassier (#37) to join up with the Alaska highway west of Watson Lake. The bike ran perfectly and handles great as the folks here have experienced. My last day was a 1200 kms. day, once on the Alaska Highway one can ride at a licence burning clip. The highway is in great shape and the bush is cut back considerably on both sides of the highway so you can see critters approaching. I am going to try and attach some pics of the bike. Unfortunately, because I rode in the rain 4 of the five days I did not take any travel pics - but all of it rain or shine was fun.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Let's see.... Welcome to the site! Your bike looks great! I've not been farther North than Jasper, AB, but I fancy riding through your town on the way to Fairbanks one of these days. Best wishes from Southern California.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Riding to Fairbanks is quite doable on an ST, while there is always some construction on the Alaska Highway it is a relatively easy ride. However, it is long no matter how you look at. Mid-June to mid-July is the time to travel up here, August is fall. Thanks for the welcome. I find this website very friendly and helpful.

Mike

·
Registered
18 Posts
whitehorse in the snow

Welcome to the site. Highly informative. I was in Whitehorse last January performing. No motorcycles on the road but a few die-hard bicycles at -30. Its a beautiful area and I'm sure the Duc will serve you well. Hope to get my 4s up in that area in the next year. Drive safely.

Bob

·
Still needs a life.
12,598 Posts
Welcome to the ST clubhouse. Please post up some photos of your area in the Rides forum when you get the opportunity to take some day trips.

·
Registered
439 Posts
welcome

Yukonduc, welcome from Down Under. :)

What a great privilege you had to ride your new ST3 all that way north through a fantastic part of the world!

I too have an ST3 and love the bike.

I had a great Triumph Sprint 1050 for about 15months from new, but although the ST3 is about 20% down on power and torque, I love that Duke engine at any revs and speed. Your red bike is a better colour of course than my silver machine. :cool:

I've been to Alaska twice, and Canada, but never the Yukon - some day perhaps...

Safe Riding,

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts