Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the pleasure of watching my odo turn over to 36,000 on this road yesterday. Photo was taken in April when we still had snow though. Recently had new Diablo Rosso II's, fresh Redline 20-50. She's all ready for summer-too bad it's been 110 here, but once in the high country very nice.
She's running strong as ever and still draws a crowd even at the Harley bars. A super clean survivor that gets a lot of love!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Congrats!

And you live in an amazing place for motorcycling.

Mountain Passes, 3 National Parks, countless foothill roads and riding weather year round. Ok, in the summers you need to get your ride in before 11am b/c that's when it get's to 100. But other than that, it's great!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I feel you on the weather, at least occasionally. We just finished up with a heat wave here in the SF Bay Area. Little over 100 degrees where I am during the day, with Sacramento Valley temps up to 110. Opted out of roasting my balls Saturday afternoon and went kayaking near the coast instead.

Anyhow, congrats, stay cool this summer and keep riding!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm curious to find out what mileage you get on those Rosso II's. I had a pair last year on my little Ninja 500 daily rider and ate through the rear in 3,600 miles, while getting 7,000 out of the front. Might seem alright for an SS, but is abysmal for the little Ninja. 50hp and 20-some odd foot pounds of torque at the rear wheel doesn't normally eat that much tire.
Don't get me wrong, it was an excellent performing tire, just wore out wicked fast.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We are blessed with some of the best roads/rides in California. Also some of the most under used and therefore poorly maintained roads. They recently repaved the 245 between Woodlake and Badger and it's amazing, one of my favorite rides. Make a loop out of it by returning down Dry Creek and although a fun ride, be prepared for a cow trail.
This is the second set of Rosso II's on her, the first set lasted 4K miles, I probably could have squeezed another 500mi out of them but why? They are my favorite shoes on this bike. I've gone the Sport Touring tire route twice (Roadsmart, Conti Motion) and while they lasted a few more miles the trade off wasn't worth it to me.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found a good deal on the II's and since I was already familiar with them I went that way. I'll probably give the III's a try next tire change. On the other hand, since 90% of my riding is mountain twisties and hardly any super-slab I might just go with the Corsas for fun. I'm not that concerned about longevity.

·
Registered
59 Posts
We are blessed with some of the best roads/rides in California. Also some of the most under used and therefore poorly maintained roads. They recently repaved the 245 between Woodlake and Badger and it's amazing, one of my favorite rides. Make a loop out of it by returning down Dry Creek and although a fun ride, be prepared for a cow trail.
This is the second set of Rosso II's on her, the first set lasted 4K miles, I probably could have squeezed another 500mi out of them but why? They are my favorite shoes on this bike. I've gone the Sport Touring tire route twice (Roadsmart, Conti Motion) and while they lasted a few more miles the trade off wasn't worth it to me.
I hear you on having excellent back roads here in California. I've got a ton of excellent roads just a few miles out from my house and only have to hit one traffic light.

I've got sport touring tires on my daily for longevity reasons, but when making the decision for tires on the SS, I went straight for grip and performance. Since the SS will be strictly for the back roads, I've got no reason to compromise on traction. I went with Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's and they are plenty tacky. I'll have to wait on longevity as this is my first time with the tire. The Rosso II's were my runner up choice, might go with those after I wear out the Pilot Powers to get a back to back comparison.

·
Registered
59 Posts
about to spin 35K on this '95 900SS/SP here on the East cost..

just love this little thing....ditto on drawing attention

(Hello, Saab...how's it goin'?) :wink2:
Well hey there, I recognize that SS :)

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
:yeah: That's what bikes are made for -- riding. Y'all should have plenty more miles ahead; my M900 Monster has just about the same drivetrain, and it has held up really well.

PhilB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts