Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this is a 1972 (non desmo) scrambler. It appears to have been flopped bending the forks and breaking one piece of the tree. It has a non-ducati front end to wheel it about.

I was told the motor/transmission were not seized when put in the shed a decade or two ago.

Most of the bits and pieces are missing. :(

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Looks like a good project, how is it not rusty though? You must live in warmer climes than I as although mine was say for 29 years in a barn is was in a worse condition than that for just sitting there. You seem to have most of a bike there, might I ask what displacement engine you have there? It says it on one of the covers on the head, on the left side I think.

Good luck with it, I can tell you now that the group of people here are a wealth of knowledge and people offer help all the time as I was new here not long ago and I'd have a lot of help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Kid,

I'm in S. Alberta, Canada. We used to have a good continental prairie winter (-40 crap) but that's changing with global warming (dips to -30 but doesn't last for 4-6 weeks like the cold snaps used to). Winter/summer... it tends to be very arid and dry, I've seen more stuff growing in the Arizona desert than grows here.

The motor is a 350 cc but it is a non-desmo unit.

Cheers!
REN

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like a 350 I just picked up....about the same shape too. that's what winter is for right?
Hell yeah! I'm not one for riding in cold weather so that gives me 8 months of the year to work on projects.

This is actually my brother's bike. He picked it up at a swap for parts for my '71 R/T but virtually nothing is compatible. He's a Norton fan and has no plans to restore this so I'll most likely be parting it out for him.

REN

·
Registered
85 HD, 87 Paso 750, 94 Bimota DB2, 94 GSXR750, 96 GSXR1100, 98 ST2, 00 R1, 01 M900, 02 748, 03 999
3,451 Posts
bending the forks
If only the fork tubes are bent and the rest look to be in good shape, you may consider contacting Forking by Frank to have some new fork tubes made...

http://www.frankmain.qpg.com/

I have not purchased anything by him, but I have been told he has excellent quality and reasonable prices.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If only the fork tubes are bent and the rest look to be in good shape, you may consider contacting Forking by Frank to have some new fork tubes made...

http://www.frankmain.qpg.com/

I have not purchased anything by him, but I have been told he has excellent quality and reasonable prices.
Interesting option and after reading New Kid's thread on his Monza resto I'm quite a bit more excited about the bike. Maybe, just maybe, I'll go project with it instead of parting it out. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Can I pick it up?

Hi there.

I'm also in Canada. Victoria BC, more precisely.
Timing might just work for both of us. I just blew up my 450 scrambler and was looking for a crankshaft and some other parts. I would be prepared to buy the whole 350 engine from you and put that in my bike if the price was right. I could get it picked up from your place.
maybe contact me directly at [email protected] and save the other folks our discussions.
I'm okay with rebuilding it but I'd like to know that it turns over. Can you ascertain that and provide me with any more info you have or maybe some close ups?
Thanks,
Sheldon

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'd be interested in the rest of the bike if Sheldon takes the engine, or the complete bike if he doesn't. I'm also in BC, but in White Rock.

Graham

·
Registered
157 Posts
350-450 cranks

350 narrow case cranks are different than wide case 350 cranks, don't think it would fit in a 450 case, but would be out of balance for a 450

·
Registered
16 Posts
iDatura, have you thought anymore about what you want to do with your Scrambler project? I'm still interested in it if you are looking for a new home for it.

Cheers
Graham

·
Registered
352 Posts
Almost nothing from a 350 will fit a 450.........

But the 350 stuff will fit a 250- SOME THINGS?

But the engines will swap- 450s frames are a bunch heavier with all the extra webbing and bracing-

even the sprocket carrier is different on a 450,(has 2 bearings in it, unlike the 250/350 carrier has 1)

350 was in most peoples oppinions the best of the singles, more powerful than a 250, and none of the vibration on the 450-

there were 2 main types of 450s - the small wrist-pin ones and the big........

·
Registered
352 Posts
Any of you guys have the compression release mechanism, cable or lever available?
I got a large quantity of NOS parts from a retired dealer, already sold the comp release stuff in March of this year-

Keep looking around- You'll find it!

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
project still ongoing

Hello there. I just thought I would drop a note here to say that I have recently acquired this project and therefore the rebuild carries on!

I haven't much time presently to do much but I am hoping that it will progress this winter. Much of the parts have been sourced by the previous owner but there are still some more to go. The major part left is the front forks and then the engine. I'll work on the forks and rolling chassis first and see how time is before moving on to the engine.

I'll post some pictures when I get a chance ..... I won;t be home for a few weeks yet.

cheers
Jim

·
Registered
256 Posts
Wow - mega thread revival! Good luck with the bike - keep us posted with pics.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts