Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a set of adjustable 749r triple clamps coming to me. was wondering what to expect when they are installed on my 998 in race setting with 30mm offset selected. bike does have the 848 swing arm conversion and a 14/37 sprocket setting allowing for rear wheel to be set a little farther back on the adjustment. bike is used for both street and track use.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Triple clamps

Recently came upon another 996S and I know you have had experience with these.
What triple offset did you find worked the best on these superbikes? I see 28 and 30 degrees mentioned. My S has some adjustment in the head stock, but I am curious if there is still an advantage to be gained in handling by going for a whole new set of triples , and if so , which one.
What did you find?

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Slower steering. Harder to turn in. More work in transitions (flip flops or chicanes). AND THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING. Far far more feel as you put the thing down and at full lean. Comes at the price of loosing quick steering. You can’t have everything and it’s a price well worth paying.

·
Registered
314 Posts
1 i wouldn't get too fixated on the "race" setting for rake...all you are doing is losing trail, ie trail that was there at the std 24.5 setting by putting in the 30 offset triples you are merely putting back in the 6mm of trail ie back to 96mm you took out with the race setting.

2 most modern bikes are at 24 degrees a nice compromise on that a parallel insert would fix with your bike..( o ld racer trick from the 90s

3) james toseland ran a trail of up to 110 degrees racing....move that radiator!!!

·
Registered
314 Posts
;-)

double world superbike champion...on different makes of bike, the first with ducati who tried to do his legs in favour of....a frenchman!

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Bayliss ran 106-8 i think. When we were setting up Antony Gobert's bike he wanted about the same. James only won one world crown, Bayliss gave him the other by spending more time on his arse then on the bike:):)
A lot of people equate slow steering to slow bike, track day riders are notorious for this misunderstanding. They are harder work for sure but what you loose in flickability is more then made up in stability and feel and hence more speed. And most people don't know that a real race bike is not the nicest thing to ride.
To much trail on the street is a pain and hard work, you just don't do the speeds on the street to warrant big trail numbers. I've been more then happy with Ducati stock numbers for the street, they are a very good compromise.

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
For me on the track I found stock the best and anything down to 32mm, but Im just a quick amateur fart.
My input is the less offset you bring the more numb it gets, ie input back through the bars is less, and for me that means I cant ride fast as I need that information, for someone else its bloody good, just try it your self and see what you like better :)

·
Registered
314 Posts
yeah....:wink2: i suppose he gave another away to edwards too....0:)0:)

Bayliss ran 106-8 i think. When we were setting up Antony Gobert's bike he wanted about the same. James only won one world crown, Bayliss gave him the other by spending more time on his arse then on the bike:):)
A lot of people equate slow steering to slow bike, track day riders are notorious for this misunderstanding. They are harder work for sure but what you loose in flickability is more then made up in stability and feel and hence more speed. And most people don't know that a real race bike is not the nicest thing to ride.
To much trail on the street is a pain and hard work, you just don't do the speeds on the street to warrant big trail numbers. I've been more then happy with Ducati stock numbers for the street, they are a very good compromise.

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
Please do try out your selves instead of talking about persons and stuff you dont even know about ;) After all its your experience that matters, even if you know one or some of them, right?
If I had gone for RS stuff in the engine Id have less umph, but I tried stuff out and I know better after some 44 iterations, because Im not content with some machinery for a world champ is equal to what I need or can do with reasonable money. There are much better ways.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts