Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, my bike is at Moto Corsa for its 30K service so I thought I'd give an update on my impressions of my bike as we've gotten to know each other.

The list of mods is extensive, to say the least.
Termi 2:1 + DP ECU + PCIII w/custom map
TPO Beast-R Intake
FBF 1078cc high-comp big-bore kit
Lightened/knife-edged/polished/balanced crankshaft
DP race cams
DP Lightened flywheel
520 chain/sprocket conversion (currently running 15/42, prefer 15/41)
Ohlins radial mount caliper fork bottoms with 4p/4p Brembo calipers
Ohlins 25mm superbike fork internals + heavier springs
Ohlins replacement shock spring matched to my weight/riding style
1098 radial pump master cylinders
CRG billet shorty levers
STM Evolutione 10th Anniversary Limited Edition 48t Slipper Clutch
DP vented clutch cover
Vented right side engine case
1098S carbon fiber front fender
Clay Carrier carbon fiber hugger/chain guard
Marvic Penta mag wheels
Speedy Moto alternator cover
Speedy Moto clip-ons
Evolutione billet clutch slave cylinder
DP bar end mirror conversion
DP large tank bag/tank protector
DP billet oil pressure sensor cover
DP billet crankcase vent
DP billet front sprocket cover
Rizoma belt covers
Tail chop
Pro Bolt Reservoir Covers
Ducati Multistrada heated grips
COX Racing Group oil cooler guard

and I'm sure I'm forgetting some others, but you get the drift. I've put a great deal of time and effort into making this bike mine and one of a kind. It puts about 98hp and 77ftlbs of torque to the ground, probably more now that it's loosened up and driving far lighter wheels, plus the clutch is something like 2.2 pounds lighter than the one it replaced.

Every time I ride this bike, it puts a smile on my face and it reminds me that I am piloting a VERY special machine. The most recent upgrades were the wheels and the clutch and I cannot say enough good things about those upgrades. They transformed the bike, took it to an entirely new level of badass. Those of you that think you don't need a slipper clutch on the street, think again. It's like riding a two-stroke going into corners now. No worry about wheel hop whatsoever. Bang downshifts with impunity and select your gear based solely one the gear that you want to be in to get the best drive out of the corner. Between the slipper and the lighter wheels, I'm having to adjust my riding style to become accustomed to pulling power wheelies out of second gear corners. Cresting the rolling rises in the roads I ride used to produce wheelies of a few inches. The same gear, same speed now produces wheelies of about 18 inches. Hard drives out of corners has the front end dancing. Needless to say, I love this bike. The fact that I will never park next to another one that is exactly like it is icing on the cake.

Thank you, Ducati. Thank you, aftermarket. Thank you, Moto Corsa. This bike gets better and better with each and every mile.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
You are my [email protected] hero.

Can't wait to do some of the engine mods you have. Thanks for doing them first and providing the validation that - I can't let the madness stop just yet.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Great stuff! It's good to see that these bikes can last that long and still be fun. That's a testament to you and a great dealer who actually knows what they are doing with a Ducati. See you at 60k!!!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
28 Posts
How's your motor handling this heat?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How's your motor handling this heat?
No issues with it at all in the heat. I've been caught in traffic with it when the ambient temps were in the 100 degree F range and seen oil temps climb close to 300 degrees with no ill effects. As soon is it's moving, it cools back down quickly.

The beauty of this motor is that, size wise, it's the same as the 1100DS motors in Hypers and Multis, so it doesn't over work the bike's cooling capacity. It's just that its rotating parts are soooo much lighter than their stock counterparts, that it spins up very quickly, and it aids handling in ways that I did not expect. With the cams, intake, exhaust, and PC-III all working together, it's got a mid-range punch that simply amazing and it can make reasonably good top-end steam now. The lighter wheels and clutch, icing on the cake. They elevated this thing to a whole different level of bad ass bike. I love the feeling that I get cresting hills and there's that moment of weightlessness and my stomach feels like it momentarily comes up into my chest. Yee haw.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Every time I ride this bike, it puts a smile on my face and it reminds me that I am piloting a VERY special machine.
I only have DP ECU w/ air box lid and StainTunes, as well as 14/42 gearing... and I say the same thing :D

Very nice Bike Doc, well thought out and executed!

Gerry

·
Registered
421 Posts
Bike looks great, and has to be a gas to ride. My little GT is pretty pedestrian in comparison, and it makes me giggle every time I ride it...

·
Registered
28 Posts
No issues with it at all in the heat. I've been caught in traffic with it when the ambient temps were in the 100 degree F range and seen oil temps climb close to 300 degrees with no ill effects. As soon is it's moving, it cools back down quickly.

The beauty of this motor is that, size wise, it's the same as the 1100DS motors in Hypers and Multis, so it doesn't over work the bike's cooling capacity. It's just that its rotating parts are soooo much lighter than their stock counterparts, that it spins up very quickly, and it aids handling in ways that I did not expect. With the cams, intake, exhaust, and PC-III all working together, it's got a mid-range punch that simply amazing and it can make reasonably good top-end steam now. The lighter wheels and clutch, icing on the cake. They elevated this thing to a whole different level of bad ass bike. I love the feeling that I get cresting hills and there's that moment of weightlessness and my stomach feels like it momentarily comes up into my chest. Yee haw.
Do you find it is easier to turn because there is less rotating gyroscopic mass? i seem to have to work a little harder than I would expect on my stocker. Also, who did your machine work?

·
Mr. Excitement
233 Posts
DrD - Thanks for posting up... and believe me, I'm paying attention! I can only imagine how well that thing must go. A very special machine indeed.

RpM

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you find it is easier to turn because there is less rotating gyroscopic mass? i seem to have to work a little harder than I would expect on my stocker. Also, who did your machine work?
Yes, the reduction in rotating mass has a profound effect on handling, way more than I anticipated it would.

Moto Corsa has done virtually all of the work on my bike except the PC-III mapping/dyno tune. Eric Dorn at EDR Performance did that part, as Moto Corsa doesn't have a dyno.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Very nice!

Two questions -

What did you use for tail lights? (can you post a pic of the rear showing the lights?)
How much lighter were the marvics over the stock wheels?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm using a tailchop created by a guy who used to frequent the forum. He hasn't posted up for ages. I'm out of town right now. I'll try to find a pic of tjhe rear-end when I get home.
The best option that is similar to and actually better than mine is Wasp's tailchop. As for the wheels, this is the fourth set of wheels I've used. I don't remember what the originals weighed.

Very nice!

Two questions -

What did you use for tail lights? (can you post a pic of the rear showing the lights?)
How much lighter were the marvics over the stock wheels?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Thats not a DP clutch cover, but a De Pretto Moto one

1 - 17 of 17 Posts