Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'06 749.

This poor bike has been in the shop half its life. It has the stalling issue and also runs ridiculously rich. Several trips to dealers over the past 3 years and still nothing. Now it's out of warranty and still running poorly. Apparently the TPS signal fluctuates on its own. So far the dealers have replaced...

Throttlebodys/tps
ECU
Fuel pump/filter
..many many hours of tuning

Now the dealer thinks it may either be the wiring harness or another set of throttlebodys. I'm trying to get Ducati to take care of it, wish me luck. Just want to ride it again.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I would bring the bike to fast by ferracci in Pa, scene your in NY shouldn't be that bad of a trip to get it there, just my $.02

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
I agree with the above, you need another dealer/service department. Not all Ducati dealers are on the same level of competence in their service department. Unfortunately yours sounds like they are on the lower end.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If my understanding of the law is correct, the dealer doesn't get to "solve" an ongoing problem by letting the warranty run out. You might contact Ducati directly about your problem. If that fails, contact you state Attorney General's consumer protection division.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well we all know that Ducati has made mechanics out of riders ever since they stopped making radios and started making bikes. So its probably time to take a fist full of money out of your pocket and get some tools and start working on getting your "certified" ducati mechanic "license".

Btw outside of running poorly my 05 749 has broken a trans and leaked pretty much every fluid you can put in it.

Ohh and good luck getting Ducati to ever do something ... They take out the "out of warranty" card and tell you to go f*** yourself. Ask me how I know !

Migrane

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
My 848 has 13,000 miles on it and its never leaked a drop of fluid, or had any issues besides eating up tires... ;)

My 749R is abused pretty much every weekend on the track. Redline is set to 12,000 RPM, I don't use the clutch very much when down shifting, putting lots of abuse on the tranny and I over rev it constantly. Yet, it doesn't give me any grief, worst thing I've had go wrong with it was a voltage regulator and a leaky water pump housing.

SO yes, these bike can be ridden without doing much work.

One thing I learned about Ducati's a long time ago is something I hope you've learned now: Don't touch it! The moment a dealer cracks open the bike, you're lost in a world of pain; here is why. When you go to the dealer, one of the usually fleet of mechanics does the work quickly because the dealer isn't getting much money to fix problems under warranty. So its not tested very well and you get it, find the problem hasn't changed and bring it back. When you bring it back, whatever was done previously needs to be UNDONE, but that never happens. Instead, more parts are changed out and original factory settings get lost very quickly. Eventually your bike is a hodgepodge of miscellaneous parts, some original, some replacement and it won't work! This is why warranty stuff is kinda useless unless your replacing a mirror or dash board. Warranty should be used for catastrophic failures, not tuning ones. If you had paid the shop to "tune" your bike properly, they would have and the bike would probably be OK. Its when you mix the warranty stuff in the middle that you start to get into issues.

The "stalling" issue is a simple one, it can't be fixed without adding an exhaust and a corresponding ECU or map change. So dealers try everything in their power to fix it, without forcing the customer to shell out any more money, but in reality money is the only solution to the problem.

Yes, I've become a Ducati mechanic from owning a Ducati, but I don't have to use the skills very much, my bikes just work.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
+1 to finding a new dealer/shop. The stalling issue is easily remedied by a competent tech. Sounds to me like someone may not be schooled up on the procedure. Has the dealer ever checked the cam timing, or changed the coils? I'd bet that the source of the problem is something retardedly silly that was overlooked in the process.

And, no, you do not need a full exhaust to cure the stalling issue. In fact, a full symetric exhaust usually magnifies the symptom.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is the 2nd dealer it's been to not including the one it was purchased from. The dealer is fine, they believe they can fix it, it's just getting Ducati Corp. to help. There are new rumblings about VW grabbing Duc again by the way.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
And, no, you do not need a full exhaust to cure the stalling issue. In fact, a full symetric exhaust usually magnifies the symptom.
Actually, when giving the bike MORE fuel at idle (which is the root of the issue) the stock exhaust will get full of un-burned fuel and eventually destroy the catalytic converters. So yes, your right... the mapping is more important then the exhaust, but you still need the exhaust so you can remove the cat's.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
369 Posts
VW buys Ducati? Oh man, that could be bad. What has MV Agusta done since HD bought them besides loose all their talent. I have no idea about the problems, but I would lay a dollar to a dime it is something small, stupid, and cheap. Hose off, electrical connection loose, something.

·
Registered
277 Posts
This is the 2nd dealer it's been to not including the one it was purchased from. The dealer is fine, they believe they can fix it, it's just getting Ducati Corp. to help. There are new rumblings about VW grabbing Duc again by the way.
Man that would be great if VW would buy Ducati and knock some sense in to those pasta eating mofos down there ...

My GTI has almost 100k miles on it an its flawless ... one water pump gone wrong and a door hinge out of adjustment !!! If the Ducati was half as good as my GTI i would be happy....

tye :) you are a funny guy !! count your blessings on the working ducatis ... and you got your mechanic license as well no matter how much you want to deny it ! I've seen your posts ;) :)

I hope my next one if I will ever get another Duc will be as painless as yours ... I lost a lot of riding time due to all the Duc issues I had.

Migrane

·
Registered
463 Posts
I am going to have to replace my harness this year. When I raise the kickstand and it smacks the side (I cut a piece of carbon so it is actually beating the hell out of it and not the fairing) my tach needle jumps 3K RPM. My head light goes out from time to time, someone jammed the upper harness into the main harness and bent a female pin that needs bent back from time to time.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chris, may want to look at a salvaged harness from a binned bike, new they're quite expensive. That's one thing VW has to learn as well...the coil wires are crap and part of the main harness. so DucatiNA called me and will be looking into what's needed to make the bike reliable..Fingers Crossed

·
Registered
187 Posts
parts?

If DNA doesn't do anything for you, I still have some of these parts from when I parted my 06 749S. Mine started out a stalling POS (with a full termi/ECU and PC3 dyno tuned) then the TB's were replaced twice and various other issues finally got sorted.
So my set of TB's, main wiring harness and coils are good. Just let me know if I can help out..

Michael

Chris, may want to look at a salvaged harness from a binned bike, new they're quite expensive. That's one thing VW has to learn as well...the coil wires are crap and part of the main harness. so DucatiNA called me and will be looking into what's needed to make the bike reliable..Fingers Crossed

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Michael,

i definitely appreciate that. let's see where this goes. I just want to ride, my 1983 goldwing just isn't cutting it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
VW buys Ducati? Oh man, that could be bad. What has MV Agusta done since HD bought them besides loose all their talent. I have no idea about the problems, but I would lay a dollar to a dime it is something small, stupid, and cheap. Hose off, electrical connection loose, something.
MV Agusta is releasing several new models. Next weekend I think.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts