Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i ordered a voltage regulator for my 98 st2 with a 1 phase system and got a 3 phase vr. i did some searching and i can use it. the 3 phase has the following wires.
3 yellow
2 green
2 red/white
from the search
yellow, use any 2 attached to the 2 incoming stator wires and dead end the third.
the 2 green wires, combine to the one black [battery - terminal] or run directly to bat.
the 2 red/white wires, combine to the one red [40 amp fuse] or run directly to fuse

on the 1 phase vr there are 3 plugs, 1 stator, 1 bat, and i think the 3rd goes to the battery idiot light? is this correct? i have already installed a voltmeter so i do not need the idiot light. does this sound like a workable setup?

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
That's how I'd rig it if I ever had to try a 3 ph. RR to a single ph. pair of stator wires.
I was carrying a 3ph. RR "just in case", but never had to use it in the bike's 52,000 miles!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mine has been misbehaven with the battery light showing on even though the bat is charging. it started working normally after i installed the voltmeter, how did it know? its anyone guess what it might do next, hence the spare in stock theory. seemed to work for you 52k!

·
Registered
305 Posts
st 2 r/r 3 phase

hello
was it a ducati r/r/ 3 phase or did you go for the honda SH232 r/r 3phase set up
and do you think the 3 phase will do a better job
mike shannon st2

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the vr i odered was a ducati part number from the 98 parts list i had downloaded, turned out be 3 phase not a single part number. i have no idea how it will work but work it does, according to threads by one macduck person.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Basically, there are 4 diodes in the 2 wire RR. There are 6 inside the 3 wire. When you use 2 out of the 3 wires, you're using 4 out of the 6 diodes. Since the 3-wire RR is rated for 520W output, it MIGHT be able to handle the current needs from the 420W stator output. I would not push this set-up to 100%...

I have a hunch that trying to get 420W out of the 3-wire RR, using only 2 input wires, may fry it.But since the bike runs on less than 200W, you should do just fine. Just don't go and buy heated jackets/pants'glove/socks/ etc. for you and the mrs.

·
Registered
305 Posts
st stator and r/r

hello
yes it is a one phase r/r/ marked on the base
now as to the 3 phase not on full load that makes me think we dont seam to be getting round this st stator out put and its heat build up i have the up grade on mine did it my self it is only a oil way for to throw oil over the stator
mike shannon st2 uk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts