Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Evoluzione license plate relocator: NOT a great solution, IMHO. Actually got about 340 miles before an unseen frost heave caused this mishap. Could have been worse I guess. Anyone have any other easy solutions? Not sure if I can salvage this mess :( .

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hmmmm...

Having just put mine on this Tuesday, this isn't a post I wanted to see. :(

I'm gonna ride home slowly and take a look tomorrow at what might be done. Thanks for posting, that must not have sounded very good!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've tried a couple of different solutions. Started with this bracket:
www.dpcars.net/ps/bracket.htm
The bracket itself puts the plate a bit lower, but the recommendations on suspension preload were spot on (there were rubber marks on the plate otherwise).
I switched to the Evoluzione bracket because it provides some more clearance, but kept the light cluster mounted directly to the frame per the original setup. This keeps it further aft of the rear wheel. I was surprised to see no mention of preload adjustment in Evoluzione's instructions; this looks like it could have been a real disaster. They need to either adjust the design, call for stiffer settings, or recall the bracket, IMHO.

·
ROF
686 Posts
ducremus said:
Evoluzione license plate relocator: NOT a great solution, IMHO. Actually got about 340 miles before an unseen frost heave caused this mishap. Could have been worse I guess. Anyone have any other easy solutions? Not sure if I can salvage this mess :( .
I am really surprised that you didn't tear the turn signals off the bike given the aluminum relocator bracket mounts via the turn signal bolts. I just can't believe that Evoluzione would produce something that was NOT tested. Is there anyway one could incorrectly mount the bracket? I have one of the Evluzione brackets sitting right here and I can imagin installing it incorrectly. The insturctions are pretty clear.

My Solution for cleaning up the rear end of my PS is NOT cheap since I used about $250 US of off the shelf parts and made my own bracket assembly. Since I am not that great at math, I also made a mock up out of cardboard of my swing arm, rear shock and tire to check my clearances. I also put a tie wrap on the rear shock and have been able to drive it all the way to the stop without hitting anything.

·
Registered
197 Posts
crap...my kit is arriving monday and i am now having serious doubts... :(

hopefully a more functional yet elegant off the shelf solution comes along soon.

am considering the upside down trick as described...

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've tried a couple of different solutions also. Started with this bracket:
The bracket itself puts the plate a bit lower, but the recommendations on suspension preload helped but I also had rubber marks on the plate.

I since have installed the Evoluzione kit and have the 3 1/2 clearance which is about 1/2" greater than prior solution and appears greater than the distance required prior to hitting the hard stop on the shock.

I can compress my tail section with my suspension settings to the hard stop and still have 1/2" clearance although I wish it was greater I do not see how the plate could hit beyond the hard stop. Let me know if I am missing something here.

To date I keep a tie wrap on my shock as an indicator of how much travel I am seeing on my rides and I have never hit the hard stop, this is with intentionally riding on some very aggressive roads.

The only thing I am not sure of is what happens to the geometry of the suspension when going through arressive turns.

Plan to do some riding this weekend, don't know if I should go back to stock fender.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A couple of thoughts:

I'm sure I mounted it correctly. Once you realize what they're trying to have you do (instructions/pics were not that great), there's really only one thing you can do.

I was also very surprised that there was no damage to the lights, but on initial inspection, they seem OK.

Even if this didn't happen, the whole setup was a bit odd in that it made the bike seem stubby, and also exposed the whole back end to anything and everything that the rear tire would pick up and splatter. The bracket and mounting shown in the link provided above seems to correct some of these deficiencies, but I don't like the idea of drilling holes in the subframe. And the bracket seems very pricey at $115.

Right now I'm just hoping I can save my plate. Pretty scrunched up under there! :think:

·
Registered
375 Posts
Ok, up to 4.25"

Disclaimer: I make no claim at being an artisan, but for the time being I'm trying this.

I had to be up at the crack of dawn today (before noon) so I hit the local Ace Hardware and looked around. Got some longer bolts and a package of furniture leg bumpers and cobbled this up. I'd prefer black, but for now...

This gave me 4" as-is, and with a little tug up on the plate I got to 4.25" without it looking to tweaked. The top of the plate is touching the stoplight housing, which isn't the best if you're ever going to go back to stock (since it will then be the top and quite visible, depending on how much rubbing there is.)

I'll run like this for awhile and see what happens. BTW, $1.99 for the bumpers.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
ducremus said:
http://pwp.surfglobal.net/ducremus/crunch1.jpg
Evoluzione license plate relocator: NOT a great solution, IMHO. Actually got about 340 miles before an unseen frost heave caused this mishap. Could have been worse I guess. Anyone have any other easy solutions? Not sure if I can salvage this mess :( .[/QUOTE]

That doesn't look good! I was afraid of that when I installed mine a few weeks back.

[url]http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=3174[/url]

I haven't been able to go on a spirited ride on my favorite mountain roads to check out if there is rubbing, as we've had frequent rain in SoCal lately. But regardless, I wouldn't want to experience what you did on a pothole.
I'm also not going to alter the rear suspension preload and ride height just for the bracket. This thing handles sweet as it is!

So, I'm going back to the stock rear fender and wait for the Clay Carrier solution. Anyone interested in an Evoluzione bracket in like new condition? PM me....

bill

·
Registered
25 Posts
EVO relocater

Redrilled the plate to move it higher and reset my rear shock (way to soft from the factory) haven't seen anything yet. (Fingers crossed)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I custom made some black standoffs and installed them between the plate and the bracket and gained clearance simular to reducs 4 1/4" tis is without the plate tug.

If you look at the angle now I think the plate would deflect upward instead of digging into the tire, hope the local police do not have an issue, I do not think it is to sever??????

Also thought the factory settings were to soft and now happy with clearance and settings.

Wish I had a greater understanding of total overall travel for the sport classic as noted earlier compressing the tail section to the hard stop will not cause contact with new set-up.

In the overall equation do we have to compensate for for any additional travel from the swing arm beyond the hard stop?

·
Registered
375 Posts
I custom made some black standoffs...
I guess beige (bisquit?) furniture bumpers aren't good enough for some people! ;)

Post some pics when you get a chance and what you used. Also, what method are you using to compress the rear to full stop? I finally got around to looking at preload after this thread hit (no pun intended) and cranked .75 to a full inch down on the spring. I'm only about 180 lbs.! Who was this thing calibrated for?

I agree that the angle is pretty severe, but it is visible and probably more so than some of the verticle, but low brackets on customs.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I spent some time this AM putting all back to stock, at least until a real good solution comes along. I agree that messing with your preload to satisfy a plate height is not a great idea, although it does remind me that I do need to check it, even though it's handled so well from day one.

So, anyone interested in a slightly used Evolutione fender/plate kit? Slightly damaged but real cheap? :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have about 200 miles on my PS1000 after the license plate relocate and no problems here :) I think that the Ohlins may be the difference. I'm a tad over 200#'s with gear and ride it on a wide variety of roads. Sorry to hear about your mishap though. Have you contacted the manufacturer about this?

·
ROF
686 Posts
clay said:
I have about 200 miles on my PS1000 after the license plate relocate and no problems here :) I think that the Ohlins may be the difference. I'm a tad over 200#'s with gear and ride it on a wide variety of roads. Sorry to hear about your mishap though. Have you contacted the manufacturer about this?
Hey Clay,

I sent the manufacturer the link to this tread when it started... but this was after closing on Friday (Yesterday)

As I mentioned before in this thread, with my design I have taken a tie wrap on the rear shock all the way to the limit without hitting anything.....

·
Registered
375 Posts
Update

Ok, so I put about 150 miles on the bike after putting on the bumpers and increasing the preload. So far, so good. The ride has firmed up, but not harsh, and I did the zip-tie trick which shows about a half inch from bottomed. I had it on some of the roughest roads I've been on with it, so I'm going to leave the preload where it's at for now.

So, if you've put any kind of license plate relocator, add some distance between the plate and the tire and adjust your preload!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Imola72 said:
I've tried a couple of different solutions. Started with this bracket:
The bracket itself puts the plate a bit lower, but the recommendations on suspension preload were spot on (there were rubber marks on the plate otherwise).
I switched to the Evoluzione bracket because it provides some more clearance, but kept the light cluster mounted directly to the frame per the original setup. This keeps it further aft of the rear wheel. I was surprised to see no mention of preload adjustment in Evoluzione's instructions; this looks like it could have been a real disaster. They need to either adjust the design, call for stiffer settings, or recall the bracket, IMHO.
I seems TOTALY INSANE for anyone to market a license plate bracket for a sport bike and even MENTION any thoughts of adjusting your frickin SUSPENSION settings to accomodate!

Suspension settings are to accomodate YOU, the rider weight and riding style, NOT to make clearance for BLING!

I would stay away from any product that recommends throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

·
Registered
218 Posts
SScowboy said:
I seems TOTALY INSANE for anyone to market a license plate bracket for a sport bike and even MENTION any thoughts of adjusting your frickin SUSPENSION settings to accomodate!

Suspension settings are to accomodate YOU, the rider weight and riding style, NOT to make clearance for BLING!

I would stay away from any product that recommends throwing out the baby with the bathwater.
Agreed. Preload suspension settings are used to set the correct sag for your weight, not so a license plate won't hit your rear tire.

·
Registered
25 Posts
EVO relocater

Now to bring us back on track, I'm glad I looked into the suspension set-up and no matter what brought me here it was way to soft for my weight, about 65mm to soft. Now I can feel to road and how the bike moves with it. Stock set-up will not account for all riders weights and riding styles and it sad that most people will never touch the adjustable suspension.

A big help for me for the set-up:
http://www.gostar-racing.com/club/motorcycle_suspension_set-up.htm

1 - 20 of 35 Posts