Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
That being said, who here has done valve adjustments on both 2V and 4V bikes? I have talked to some people who say that adjusting the valves on a 4v bike is an order of magnitude more complicated then on desmodues. I have done the 2v deal many times but it is the fear of an incredible increase in maintenance difficulty that is my primary reason for not considering a 4 vlv bike (although I would love a mid-90s 916!)

96SP

SP (I mean PS) I can never see getting rid of my SP!
Dont let fear of valve adjustments stop you from getting a 916...Ive done both 2v and 4v adjustments and, although the 4v is more time consuming its not especially difficult...the main difference is you need to pull the cam to change closer shims, then re-insert and re-measure your clearances, so if you get it wrong you may have to pull the cam a couple of times.
Get a Haynes or DesmoTimes book (preferably both) and follow the instructions.
Remember what FDR said.... "We have nothing to fear but the fear of desmoquattro valve adjustments itself !"

·
Registered
454 Posts
So it appears there isn't really a hatred between the 2V and 4V, well at least not on the Supersport forum, it'd be interesting to see the responses on the superbike forum to such a thread.

For me its more about dry clutch versus wet clutch for what is and isn't a real Duc ... :alien:

·
Registered
21 Posts
So it appears there isn't really a hatred between the 2V and 4V, well at least not on the Supersport forum, it'd be interesting to see the responses on the superbike forum to such a thread.

For me its more about dry clutch versus wet clutch for what is and isn't a real Duc ... :alien:
I can't say I hate any Duke's at all, 2V or 4V. I think we're all part of the Ducati family. I have often thought of selling my bike, but what would I replace it with ? She does everything I want, and just cannot justify replacing her with something newer and ( obviously ) more expensive, just to have something newer.
I think it's just time I started to improve her properly. Treated to newer suspension and maybe just a little more power........
But in my humble opinion, 900SS is the perfect streetbike. :p
I got a mate I ride with occasionally, with a ZX12R, and anything twisty I gotta keep pulling up to wait for him. 70 at the back, vs 161 !! Go figure.:think:

Cheers,
Darryl

·
Chilehead
6,979 Posts
Well, I would hate to see an SS powered by a 4V watercooled lump.

What is nice about the air-cooled 2V is that it is a lot lighter than a watercooled 4V, and always will be. The 848 is a little lighter than my 999R, but not much, but it is much heavier than my SS. If my SS weighed as much as an 848, I wouldn't see any point in owning it.

Tom

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Shadowmax,The real Ducatis all have two valves and WET clutches and Genuine Italian electrical systems. And lots of bevel gears and aluminum you can polish.

·
Registered
294 Posts
2V vs. 4V is similar to the old Porsche argument of V8 water cooled vs. flat four oil cooled. They're different and and designed to do the same thing.

I can buy what I want. I LOVE the 2V'ers! I plan to build a New Blue look alike with many of the similar features. I'm building it because that's half the fun! It will always have more soul, IMO, than a 4V. I plan to own a 1098R at some point as well!!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have a 2V hyper and a 4V Monster ..... I traded a 1098 in for the monster. I like both motors but man do I miss the dry clutch on my 1098. The clutch on the 1098 was louder than the exhaust. It routinely scared women and small children. The hyper isn't as loud for some reason.

I will say this. The air cooled 2V motor is routinely on the list of iconic/legendary designs. I found it pretty easy to work on. I wont touch a 4 valve model (yet). The performance of the Monster is insane. The Hyper asks you to be insane. I love em both.

I also truly must be a black sheep around here as I also have a Harley....Its also a 2v air cooled motor. Ive done a few big ass burnouts on that bike.....pretty funny stuff really !!!

·
Registered
6,545 Posts
‘96 SS 900 2v, and ‘07 S4RS Monster 4v. Love both. When I bought the SS it was the only Ducati I could afford. Up until then it was the best bike I ever owned, and may still be. The Monster is a fantastic bike, and the ergonomics are better for me . If I had to get rid of one it would be a very tough choice.

·
Registered
252 Posts
‘96 SS 900 2v, and ‘07 S4RS Monster 4v. Love both. When I bought the SS it was the only Ducati I could afford. Up until then it was the best bike I ever owned, and may still be. The Monster is a fantastic bike, and the ergonomics are better for me . If I had to get rid of one it would be a very tough choice.
Do not sell a bike !!! Sell a kidney first !!! I am still kicking myself over selling my 1098

·
Registered
763 Posts
I have been riding since the mid 1960's and I have ridden just about every engine type that's been made in the decades since then. Big Brit singles, parallel twins and triples both old and new. Boxer Bimmers. Japanese inline fours and V fours and two stroke twins and singles. So about everything other than an inline six and a square four. Or a Harley... For me, none of those configurations are as good for a street motorcycle as a 2 valve air cooled Duc L twin. I am fortunate to currently own an example of the granddad of the Duc twin, a bevel 750, the mid life model, the 900SS, and (if I ignore the Scrambler by Ducati's and the bored out 1100 DS version) the last of the breed a DS1000. All three are wonderful engines to ride and all three have very distinct and different personalities. I have found them to be simple, reliable and not nearly as maintenance intensive as most non-Duc people believe. They allow for a light and narrow machine that handles well and the engines make good torque everywhere in their broad power bands. And all three make enough power to be entertaining on the street but never intimidating. Now that I'm no longer a Pup the ergo's are maybe a bit taxing for me, especially on the Sport Classic, but I too would have a hard time divesting myself of any of the three bikes. But I will admit that I'd love to have a couple of weeks to have a go on a Panigale V4. The same weight and twice the power could be very entertaining.

·
Premium Member
3,984 Posts
I do not hate either as they both have their place in my garage. I must just be getting older and wiser to figure out what is important to me. when I was younger it was more about performance spec's and riding as much performance as you could get as hard as you were able. Over the years I simply find I do not enjoy that as much and prefer an experience more than reaching a number. most riders can not use 100hp to its potential so I always laugh when the bikes are pushing 180's at the back wheel (my dyno numbers) . yes it is great fun to open that throttle fully and hold it there but you will likely find you do not do that as much when you make that much power.

There are plenty of tracks I ride on that will have few places where a bike can hold full throttle for long and there are plenty of areas where a light bike might have a easier time in the corners. It will always be easier to make a less complex bike lighter without exotics . The technology is awesome on the 4-valvers so I do not want to have them stop evolving quite the opposite I hope they continue for many years to come. I just feel no need to own one as I do not enjoy the power enough to justify the costs and have no interest in the bikes to work on as they become more pain than pleasure.

To each his own I hope we get to keep them both as long as we can.

·
Registered
220 Posts
How can someone hate a Ducati? :surprise:

I prefer the 2V as they are (the ones I owned) the most street-friendly.
The 1997 900SS I own has plenty of power for what I use it for and I think these bikes are among the best looking bikes ever build.
That's why I own one.

I love the 4V bikes for their looks (the 916/996 is still in my top 3 of most beautiful bikes ever) and I admire the technical engineering that went into the development of these bikes.
But they're not my cup of tea. Too 'racy' for me.

No hatred here.
I don't even hate Japanese or Chinese bikes. I just don't like them.
:wink2:

·
Registered
566 Posts
Hate is quite a strong word.
I rather prefer the 2V Ducati motor over the 4V.
A project I'd like to complete is a water jacketed SS of some sort. Just..........because.

Dez
Nyc
I believe that has already been done. Several years ago on here someone in south of England (Cornwall with a pirate flag avatar) did that very thing. I don't remember his user name but the thread was superb, ST 4v water-cooled into a SS. Thanks for the reminder, I must look it up again.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Any chance you could send me a PM?? I have a question for you about fixing a broken side stand case lug and finding a good alum welder in our area.

If I could chime in on the 2 vs 4 dialogue I'd suggest that the least complex is what one needs when everything else is in order.

My list would start with the bevels (getting rid of the belt issues) but then move quickly to the 900 SS 2 valve carb bikes - dry clutch of course!!!

41 - 60 of 63 Posts