Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
1. A lot of 2-valvers have deep seeded feelings of insecurity that manifest in hatred towards the 4-valvers they long for, but can't afford

2. A lot of 4-valvers are obnoxious snobs that have more money than skills, so to make up for it they're condescending to the 2-valvers

put another way: the 2-valvers often believe they're the true "Ducatisti" because their bike's roots go back to Stonehenge, while the 4-valvers believe they're the true Ducatisti because theirs are the ones that win all the races and make girls go gooey.

The truth is they're both right. If you own one, any one of any vintage, and you love it, then you know what it's all about and you're a true Ducatisti.

And just like military service automatically makes you a citizen, anyone who has ever performed a valve-job on a Ducati, is also the real-deal in my book! ;)
lol ... great post.

Best part is through the corners everything evens itself out and you can't just buy a win with a 4 valver ...

·
Registered
536 Posts
1. A lot of 2-valvers have deep seeded feelings of insecurity that manifest in hatred towards the 4-valvers they long for, but can't afford

2. A lot of 4-valvers are obnoxious snobs that have more money than skills, so to make up for it they're condescending to the 2-valvers
I own one of each (2V and 4V) so i guess that makes me an "obnoxious snob with deep seeded feelings of insecurity that manifest in hatred"....

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I own one of each (2V and 4V) so i guess that makes me an "obnoxious snob with deep seeded feelings of insecurity that manifest in hatred"....
Well that's what I've been telling people about you for years...

I KID! I kid...

(I've also got both, plus a water cooled fuel injected two valve so maybe I have an identity crisis too?) :p

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
My riding is all recreational corner carving. I found the SS to be a bit lacking. Power delivery was a bit sluggish, and there wasn't enough of it.

With the 999 I am experiencing Nirvana. The bike is a dream in its element.
The power and delivery, handling, brakes...everything was a revelation for me.

However, I still lust for an older 900SS to sit alongside my 999. To me, the 900SS is the epitome of a sporty road bike, and they are oh-so-pretty! For mellow solo rides through the countryside, the 900SS would be my choice. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the 2v bikes can't hustle...I just prefer my 4v when things really speed up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Right now, I'm hating both of em.......but thats only due to my 900ss being unrideable due to a crash and gonna be that way for awhile.

To me, they are both serve a purpose. There's a place in my garage for both, like a 1098s, soon I hope. On the street, the 900 does everything I need and quite well. If I get a 1098, its gonna be a track only bike. It's just a waste to use something like that on the street.

Oh.....corvairs rule.....

·
Registered
400 Posts
you own Trabants ??
I wish; I would love to have one of those.

My garage (and driveway) are currently home to a '68 Porsche 912 (currently undergoing a transformation into a 911), a '70 Beetle, a '71 Super Beetle, a '72 Porsche 911 hot rod, and a '79 Porsche 911 SC. Air cooled, baby! The only automotive anomly in the family is my wife's Soob Outback, but at least it's a boxer motor...

Anyway, I would love to have a watercooled Duc of some sort in addition to my '93 900 SS. Right now, though, I'm still learning to ride. After 32 years on Harleys of every description, Ducati performance - even in the old two valve air cooled mode - is way, way more than I can use.

Incidently, the Porsche world is plagued with this same argument, or rift, or whatever you call it. "Real" Porsches are air cooled, and the motor is in the back, thank you very much. Everyone "knows" that, right? Of course the newer water cooled 911's are superior in every measure of performance to the old air cooled. Technology just marches on...

I get the feeling the same relationship exists for the same reasons in the Duc world. Air cooled is nostalgic, hearkening to a simpler time. It is, in all reality, perfectly adequate for the vast majority of us. We will never be able to use all of the available performance even on an air cooled machine; certainly never on the street, and most of us not on the track, either. So the increased performance available through water cooling becomes moot for most of us. Most of us can only really use the level of performance that was already achieved during the air cooled era.

Anyway, I say ride/drive whatever tickles your fancy. It's all just for fun, remember? They are all good. We all have how fun in subtly different ways; different machines speak to us. The variety makes it fun. We would all rue the day everyone shows up on whatever we are riding...

·
Registered
662 Posts
My garage (and driveway) are currently home to a '68 Porsche 912 (currently undergoing a transformation into a 911), a '70 Beetle, a '71 Super Beetle, a '72 Porsche 911 hot rod, and a '79 Porsche 911 SC. Air cooled, baby!....The variety makes it fun. We would all rue the day everyone shows up on whatever we are riding...
Right on Higgy.....simpler machinery has focus of purpose the newer ones can't match. Not a cup holder in the lot I bet.

Still wouldn't complain if somone gave me the keys to a GT-R but I do admire the simplicity of well designed purpose built machinery.

·
I have a button.. BITCHES!
8,971 Posts
The first car that I bought-with the parents $600 gift-was a 69 VW bug. To learn to drive on, and for the first six months of my driving to school, was a 65 corvair. It was a 2 door hardtop that had this goofy-assed automatic shifter that was a 3 inch lever that stuck out from the dash area kinda above the radio. That's an A-effin-M radio. It also had dual one-barrel carbs that were set apart from each other on the far side of the motor. WHICH, by the way.....was in the BACK....of the car. It was SUHHHHHHHH..........weat!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I wish; I would love to have one of those.

My garage (and driveway) are currently home to a '68 Porsche 912 (currently undergoing a transformation into a 911), a '70 Beetle, a '71 Super Beetle, a '72 Porsche 911 hot rod, and a '79 Porsche 911 SC. Air cooled, baby! The only automotive anomly in the family is my wife's Soob Outback, but at least it's a boxer motor...

Incidently, the Porsche world is plagued with this same argument, or rift, or whatever you call it. "Real" Porsches are air cooled, and the motor is in the back, thank you very much. Everyone "knows" that, right? Of course the newer water cooled 911's are superior in every measure of performance to the old air cooled. Technology just marches on...

Anyway, I say ride/drive whatever tickles your fancy. It's all just for fun, remember? They are all good. We all have how fun in subtly different ways; different machines speak to us. The variety makes it fun. We would all rue the day everyone shows up on whatever we are riding...
Higgy, very well said. Of course I would agree, I had a '68 912, (stock and a 4 speed), and a '72 911s in silver that is the only car I ever owned that I truely had a hard time selling. I'm not really a car guy at heart though.

I mentioned once to my son I would like to have another Porsche, but didn't have the dollars
and space, but if I sold a bike or two I could swing it, on both counts. And when he asked which ones I would be able to sell, I had no answer, which was the answer I guess. But I digress..whatever makes you grin idiotically inside your helmet early in the morning on your favorite back road is the one to have.

·
Registered
70 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
I love the 900SS for its simplicity.

Seems to be a common thread here, Ive noticed there are a fair amount of two stroke owners here as well.

·
Registered
127 Posts
4v vs 2v v adjustment

...... anyone who has ever performed a valve-job on a Ducati, is also the real-deal in my book! ;)
That being said, who here has done valve adjustments on both 2V and 4V bikes? I have talked to some people who say that adjusting the valves on a 4v bike is an order of magnitude more complicated then on desmodues. I have done the 2v deal many times but it is the fear of an incredible increase in maintenance difficulty that is my primary reason for not considering a 4 vlv bike (although I would love a mid-90s 916!)

96SP

SP (I mean PS) I can never see getting rid of my SP!

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
I ride a 2000 M/G V-11 Sport and a '05 999s. :eek:

That's air/2v/shaft and water/4v/chain and both Italian..... do I need help???:crazy:

21 - 40 of 63 Posts