Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am changing my air filter (my first time by myself) on my ST3. I’ve got it figured out (not hard🤪). So for the first question..... The YouTube video I saw said that you should use K & N’s Airfilter Sealing Grease” which of course is nowhere to be found here in the sticks... Does anyone know if there is a substitution I can use instead?
Second question..... from what I have seen in my owner’s manual and YouTube videos there looks like there is a cover over the air filter as if the whole thing is enclosed. I have 2 pictures attached that show it is open. Is it supposed to be open like this on the ST3?

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
1/ don't bother.
2/ ducati performance open lid as part of an exhaust/ecu kit, or just the std one someone has cut up.

what filter was in there?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The filter I pulled out is a Ducati Performance filter. I don't know if it was original to the bike.

·
Registered
‘07 ST3s
411 Posts
I’d say you good to go !

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
The filter looks clean.
I'd blow some compressed air through it.
Just because I have an underemployed air compressor. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
I have a couple of those grease tubes laying around, they come with the package deal available on Amazon with the filter and sticky spray. Never used any, I think for some odd sized car applications shaped like a funnel the lube might be useful, but not on the big squares for our bikes. Your cover has been trimmed but the important edges are there to clamp it down securely.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all your replies and help. The filter you see in the pictures is the new one I put in.
OK so question number 3.........
Can I assume the air filter box that I have (which is open, not enclosed) is a performance "enhancement" .......box.....?
If not what is the difference between an open "box" which my picture shows and a closed "box".....?
Sorry for the elementary questions......

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Save your old Ducati Performance filter, it is washable and reusable if needed one day. An open air box will be noisier and probably flow more air, especially at wide open throttle like on a track. If you use a large tank bag you won't notice it as much. The electronics in the system will adjust for the open airbox but some people have their system programmed for more aggressive riding with an aftermarket exhaust when combined with that.
It will be fine, now on to adjusting your chain.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1. I did not know that the filter I had in there was a washable filter, learning as I go.....
2. More air better (enhanced) performance........ ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Save your old Ducati Performance filter, it is washable and reusable if needed one day. An open air box will be noisier and probably flow more air, especially at wide open throttle like on a track. If you use a large tank bag you won't notice it as much. The electronics in the system will adjust for the open airbox but some people have their system programmed for more aggressive riding with an aftermarket exhaust when combined with that.
It will be fine, now on to adjusting your chain.
We thought that we screwed up the ECU the other day....( See the old post...)
We sent it in to have it "remapped" and learned that it was remapped to a high performance map.
Hence, I assume that the "open" air filter box is part of the enhancement.......?

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Probably not aftermarket as they usually put a marker on it somewhere that does not say Ducati, post a picture of the exhaust cans. BTW, what did the "mappers" end up doing to the ECU?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I got the K&N Spray oil for my filter

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
Post a good picture of your bike so we have a better idea what you have now.

1. what have you done to it since you bought it?
2. why were you having it remapped?

open airbox + ecu performance map = more power but also much more intake noise when you open the throttle. If you would prefer less intake noise and a drop in power would not bother you want a closed airbox and to have the ecu tuned for the closed airbox.

Do not over clean performance airfilters as they allow more dirt through when cleanest. In the K&N instructions it explains this.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, I figured that they weren’t the originals. We bought the bike used from someone and didn’t know what he did to it. I haven’t done anything to it just an oil change, and front and back brakes UNDER SUPERVISION!!! 🤪
Otherwise nothing else. We sent the ECU in to have the performance map installed but was told it was already installed.

·
Administrator
12,973 Posts
I believe that already has the "Ducati Performance Kit" installed based on the pipes and the fact the ECU has an upgrade.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts