Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2000 996S in 2006 with only 2500 miles on it. Only 400 miles later the bike wouldn't start. I narrowed it down and learned that the fuel pump wasn't being turned on by the ECU. (A friend with a 996 tried my computer and it didn't work). So I bought a used ECU on Ebay and the bike fired right up.

The bike has run perfectly for another 1500 miles but now it's starting to exhibit the same symptom. The fuel pump intermittently works, and when it doesn't if I tap the ECU sometimes will activate the fuel pump. I unplugged and cleaned the terminals and re-connected but it still is intermittent.

NOW, the bike sounds like its only running on one cylinder when it does run.

Is this also a symptom of a failing ECU??? I don't have access to another 996 now so I can't just remove and try on another bike. Any other way to check the ECU?

Thanks for any replies!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
dropped off at Desmoto Sport in SF today. Going to have them do the belts and valves and determine why it isn't running right.

I know,,,, I know,,,,,, I gave up too easily. Take pity on me!

·
Registered
7 Posts
dropped off at Desmoto Sport in SF today. Going to have them do the belts and valves and determine why it isn't running right.

I know,,,, I know,,,,,, I gave up too easily. Take pity on me!
Hello, what was the result here? Was it the ECU? If so, I think I have the same problem.

Thanks,

Richard

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello, what was the result here? Was it the ECU? If so, I think I have the same problem.

Thanks,

Richard
Yep. It was the ECU again. I haven't figured out what is causing it though and the mechanics are unsure as well. I've heard a couple of theories though:

Bad battery charger causing spikes in voltage
Poor ground somewhere
regulator/rectifier spiking voltage when running
overheating
extreme lean angles (Ok, I made this one up. . . )

I'm just going to run it and see what happens again. The first two lasted 3K miles each so that'll be another 3 years from now!!! (I've got other bikes that I ride more often)

If you come up with a possible solution, please pass it on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts