Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am currently heads down with finishing up my 999 1198 engine conversion and have just learned that the company 2Moto, in the UK, is gearing up to offer their carbon fiber airbox for 1098/1198 motor swaps in a 999. The new airbox seals against the bottom of the stock tank and uses a set of billet aluminum throttle body adapter plates and a pair of 959 velocity stacks. I have a pair of the TB adapter plates and they are spectacular quality.

If the airbox is anything like the quality of the adapter plates then we will now have a viable option for an airbox for this type of conversion over the crappy Bursi lower airbox or trying to make something one-off yourself. Trust me, I bought one of the Bursi lower airboxes and waited six months for it to arrive and I'm still tweaking the fiberglass to get it to fit. When I say tweaking, I mean practically redoing it. ?

Anyway, Felix from 2Moto, has informed me that his carbon fiber airbox will cost $1200 GBP each if we can get 5 orders together. I'm in so that means I need 4 other people to go in on this. I'm not sure if the airbox includes new air runners or if you need to use your stock units. I have a question out to Felix on that topic and will post his reply, once I have it.

Here is what his prototype airbox looks like, in case you haven't seen it before.

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Felix just got back to me on the air runners. Currently, the design it set up to work with the factory 999RS air runner design. Not sure where we could source those runners affordably or if they would work with standard 999 race bodywork. That being said, it sounds like he is going to look into making a batch that works with the standard air runners. I sent him a link to this thread so hopefully he will chime in soon with further details. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet, thanks for the link. I'm curious how those would mate up to a stock fitting set of race bodywork. I wonder how different the 999RS bodywork is? I currently have a pair of factory 749R supersport carbon fiber air runners. They fit the stock airbox and bodywork. Ideally, I would like to use what I have instead of buying new ones. I would think most would want to use their stock air runners to keep the cost down. It would be nice to have both options.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
The RS airtubes will not fit the stock bodywork, nor the race bodywork that can accept standard road air tubes. The inlet area is a different shape. In terms of the air tube attachment at the air box end, the RS tubes only use a single bolt, whereas the road tubes use 3 bolts. It's unlikely that our air box will have provision for both mounting methods. The plan currently is to use the 3-bolt road version mounting.

Other things to keep in mind:
1. We currently use a single throttle cable on the 1098/1198 throttle bodies. It might not be possible to use dual cables due to space constraints.
2. The current version does not have a provision for the ignition switch and it might not be possible to change the design to accommodate it.
3. The wiring for the TPS will need to be extended in order to reach the forward located TPS on the 1098/1198 throttle bodies.
4. It will make your bike significantly louder! :grin2:
5. You will most likely need to get your bike remapped.

2motoUK
http://www.facebook.com/2motoUK

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yup, just finalising costs. Hopefully have all the details by end of October. It will have a carbon bolt-on filler plate and screw-on filler cap. Keep in mind that this will require a donor tank.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Yup, just finalising costs. Hopefully have all the details by end of October. It will have a carbon bolt-on filler plate and screw-on filler cap. Keep in mind that this will require a donor tank.
Awesome! It looks like there's clearance for the OEM steering damper, and thanks to **** @ Bike Sport Developments, I no longer have the key/ignition unit. Any other fitment concerns?

I've got a tank ready to go.

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Guys, I'm out on this unless this airbox can be made to work with the factory two throttle cable setup. I suspect from the lack of updates from 2Moto, that they were not able to figure this out. Maybe they will figure this out in the future and I will revisit.

It was sad how much I had to modify the Bursi airbox to make it work. I did a lot of fiberglass work on it. :(. I also had to use air cleaner foam to make seals to seal the airbox around where the velocity stacks enter the airbox. Not ideal but the Uni filter foam should work until I can devise a better solution. The 2Moto velocity stack adaoters worked awesome with the Panigale 959 stacks and injector holders. You must use the 959 injectors with this setup.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What did you have to do to your Bursi airbox?

I have one and have had to do very little to make it work?
So there were many issues with mine as the throttle linkage and front cam did not have clearance on the bottom of the box, the angled frame cross brace cut out was not deep enough either.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Felix got back to me and said there were no updates due to lack of interest. We need 5 people to commit to the airbox before he would consider it. He did say it would be possible to make the box work with the stock dual throttle setup. That being said, I'm back in if 4 others are game too. I would really like to dump the Bursi box.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
I never offered any for sale as I just didn’t think there would be enough interest. When you tell a person a price of a one off they usually die in the arse (Aussie expression). I could invest a couple of K to mass produce but from what I have seen on the forum, nobody wants to spent the money for a top job. I have a very different attitude from most here who want to build specials. Mine have to have a factory look and finish and to that end I will spend the time to get it that way. Everyone has their own budget on these builds and I get it. The killer in our (999 conversation) is the box. You can if you choose not even worry about a box at all and configure a set of pod filter instead. If you need help doing this let me know (via this thread) and I can give you some pointer on how it’s done.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Thanks Spud but I’m still not happy with it. Don’t think I ever will be. Maybe I just like to piss around and make things. Wife loves it because it keeps me out of the house:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts