Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im 5'6" with a 29 inch inseam. I wonder if I able to tiptoe the Streetfighter or 1098.

It would be helpful if anyone with similar sizes could help

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
I don’t think it will be comfortable when you stop and need to put a foot down. All depends on how much that’s going to bother you. I have a 30” inseam and I wouldn’t even consider it, but that’s me. I place a premium on being able to touch the ground when I stop. I bought a Monster and put the low seat on it.

·
Premium Member
2,442 Posts
Riding it and tip-toeing would be the easy part. DO you know how many times you have to back a bike up in the course of a day excluding at a race track? Now that just does not work well on tip toes, ask me how I know. :surprise:

·
Registered
375 Posts
I too am 5'6" with (on a good day) a 29" inside leg. I've been riding my 998 with a dollop of extra rear ride height and a 180/60 rear tyre for well over 10 years, no probs. I also ride an HM1100 which is much taller - sure a bit of tip-toe is called for every now and then, but it's not a problem.
If you're really worried, sit on the bike before you buy it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I too am 5'6" with (on a good day) a 29" inside leg. I've been riding my 998 with a dollop of extra rear ride height and a 180/60 rear tyre for well over 10 years, no probs. I also ride an HM1100 which is much taller - sure a bit of tip-toe is called for every now and then, but it's not a problem.
Good info, thanks. Whats the seat height on those 998 and HM1100?

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm 5'3" and i ride all sorts of bikes, experience has allowed me to ride multistradas and BMW GS1150's with no problem at all, granted, i wouldn't own one because they really are a stretch for a shortarse like me but height, or lack of it is not a hinderance if you know how to ride and have the confidence and common sense to think ahead.

I ride a 1098R which has a tall seat which combined with the reach to the bars means only the ball of one foot touches the ground, which foot? depends on the fall of the road, i don't kick my star from on the bike and i don't walk it backwards on board, you just have to know what you can reach and what you can't and ride accordingly.

I'm 50, i've always been short and i've always ridden big sports bikes, the fact that you're asking the question says to me that you're not confident and probably don't have much in the way of experience riding big bikes, you can choose a monster or a Diavel, (i have one and i've had three monsters as well) and gain more experience and confidence or you can jump in and buy the bike you want and just make it work, it's only ever an issue when you're stopped, and i can say your low speed skills will improve out of sight without the easy foot dab to bail you out too.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Just a different attitude I guess. I don’t see any reason to ride a bike I don’t fit. My Monster is a stretch, I’ve replaced the seat, dropped the front a little, and I wear thick boots. Thick soled riding boots with good traction really help, by the way.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'm 5'3" and i ride all sorts of bikes.... ....i've always ridden big sports bikes.... ....it's only ever an issue when you're stopped, and i can say your low speed skills will improve out of sight without the easy foot dab to bail you out too.
This post all the way... I´m 5´8" with short-arse legs (28" inside seam), but never have any problems on any bikes, even big crossers. Actually it makes superbikes & high pegs a nice fit! One foot down is enough & you just slide an arse-cheek over. As Loony says, low speed skills are top - one of my goals in traffic is both feet up as long as possible & roll it in oh-so slowly... Reversing bikes is a get-off (one hand on the bar, one hand on the seat), or park uphill & toe-drag, so reverse is easy:laugh:

·
Tightly Clenched...
957 Posts
I owned a 1098 Streetfighter and had to have the ride height adjusted all the way down to be able to touch the ground at a set of lights (one footing it). It's the seat shape that made everything awkward. I even bought a second hand seat with the idea of getting it reshaped to make touching the ground easier. Sold the bike before that happened. I currently have a Hyper and have never had the same issue. I'm a one arse-cheek foot down kinda guy. 178cm, 28 inch inside leg.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I'm 59, 5'6 with a 29" inseam. I've got a 1098R as well as a number of bikes which are taller and shorter than the 1098. I used to shy away from bikes where i could not touch toes on both sides at the same time, but learning to ride off road has made me comfortable with tall seat heights. My dirtbike is kick start only with a 37" seat height. I wish I had learned to better deal with tall seats heights years earlier than I did.

If you haven't learned to deal with tall seat heights, then it makes sense to shy away from them. If you want to learn to deal with them, I'd recommend learning to ride a dirtbike. There is a MSF off road beginner's riding course in my area which offers loaner bikes, just like the beginner road course. They teach you how to cross a telephone pole, how to deal with slick surfaces, how to slide the rear to steer and how to deal with not being able to touch both feet to the ground at the same time.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
IMO everyone would benefit from that one. For the record, yes, I know how to ride tall bikes, I just prefer not to. Same with tall women...

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
Generally most tend to say leathers are to be tighter than for comfort, I disagree.
Pick something that is comfortable, ie if you can reach the ground without the leathers you should with your leathers on.
Stop that silly idea leathers is a pain, as it shouldnt be!

Where does it come from? Someone enjoying it too much and then thinking Im not worthy, and need some extra pain? well you paid for it in one way or another already.
Im certainly using a roomy suit for above reason, crashed it several times and its still good with the odd patches, and my body.
I love tall bikes and the SPS, there are days in which I have trouble desciding between them ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm 5'3" and i ride all sorts of bikes, experience has allowed me to ride multistradas and BMW GS1150's with no problem at all, granted, i wouldn't own one because they really are a stretch for a shortarse like me but height, or lack of it is not a hinderance if you know how to ride and have the confidence and common sense to think ahead.

I ride a 1098R which has a tall seat which combined with the reach to the bars means only the ball of one foot touches the ground, which foot? depends on the fall of the road, i don't kick my star from on the bike and i don't walk it backwards on board, you just have to know what you can reach and what you can't and ride accordingly.

I'm 50, i've always been short and i've always ridden big sports bikes, the fact that you're asking the question says to me that you're not confident and probably don't have much in the way of experience riding big bikes, you can choose a monster or a Diavel, (i have one and i've had three monsters as well) and gain more experience and confidence or you can jump in and buy the bike you want and just make it work, it's only ever an issue when you're stopped, and i can say your low speed skills will improve out of sight without the easy foot dab to bail you out too.
Wow, great answer. Thankyou, youre dead on accurate.

Im quite young and just started on this hobby, I currently ride a Monster 795 which I modified to a Monster 796 and probably has all the same dimensions. I was wondering if youre 5'3" but has very long inseams? A family relative of mine has the same height but has a 30" inseam, he rides a 1098.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm 59, 5'6 with a 29" inseam. I've got a 1098R as well as a number of bikes which are taller and shorter than the 1098. I used to shy away from bikes where i could not touch toes on both sides at the same time, but learning to ride off road has made me comfortable with tall seat heights. My dirtbike is kick start only with a 37" seat height. I wish I had learned to better deal with tall seats heights years earlier than I did.

If you haven't learned to deal with tall seat heights, then it makes sense to shy away from them. If you want to learn to deal with them, I'd recommend learning to ride a dirtbike. There is a MSF off road beginner's riding course in my area which offers loaner bikes, just like the beginner road course. They teach you how to cross a telephone pole, how to deal with slick surfaces, how to slide the rear to steer and how to deal with not being able to touch both feet to the ground at the same time.
Yeah.. probably my main problem is that I dont have enough experience to adjust to every surface. I fell a few times on my M795(796) for stupid reasons. I just hope when I one day upgrade I could learn more on the Monster

·
Registered
381 Posts
Wow, great answer. Thankyou, youre dead on accurate.

Im quite young and just started on this hobby, I currently ride a Monster 795 which I modified to a Monster 796 and probably has all the same dimensions. I was wondering if youre 5'3" but has very long inseams? A family relative of mine has the same height but has a 30" inseam, he rides a 1098.
mine is about 28" so i'm officially a short arse!

If you're just starting out i would definitely recommend staying within your comfort zone, it's easy for me to say that i do it and have no issues but i've been riding road bikes for more than 33 years now, as well as MX as a kid and enduro as an adult. there will come a time when you will move onto a bike with a taller seat and you will be comfortable doing it but sure as there's crap in a cat if you do it too early on you will drop it. That's embarrassing as well as expensive, especially on a Ducati.

Remember we all started somewhere, riding bikes should be like learning a musical instrument, no one picks one up and is a maestro, playing is not something you can buy, you have to learn it for yourself to be good at it, anyone can go buy a Les Paul gold top but if they can't play then it's an ornament. Same with bikes, anyone can go buy a V4 Panigale but without the skills to use it it's useless to you. you will do much better riding a bike that is at your level of experience, when you get better get a better/faster/bike.

Too many with no experience just have to be seen on the best bikes and truth be known they get laughed at and disrespected much more than a new rider on an appropriate bike, don't be that guy.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The fact that you're asking the question says to me that you're not confident and probably don't have much in the way of experience riding big bikes, you can choose a monster or a Diavel, (i have one and i've had three monsters as well) and gain more experience and confidence or you can jump in and buy the bike you want and just make it work, it's only ever an issue when you're stopped, and i can say your low speed skills will improve out of sight without the easy foot dab to bail you out too.
What this guy said. Seat height doesn't factor into much once you learn a few tricks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mine is about 28" so i'm officially a short arse!

If you're just starting out i would definitely recommend staying within your comfort zone, it's easy for me to say that i do it and have no issues but i've been riding road bikes for more than 33 years now, as well as MX as a kid and enduro as an adult. there will come a time when you will move onto a bike with a taller seat and you will be comfortable doing it but sure as there's crap in a cat if you do it too early on you will drop it. That's embarrassing as well as expensive, especially on a Ducati.

Remember we all started somewhere, riding bikes should be like learning a musical instrument, no one picks one up and is a maestro, playing is not something you can buy, you have to learn it for yourself to be good at it, anyone can go buy a Les Paul gold top but if they can't play then it's an ornament. Same with bikes, anyone can go buy a V4 Panigale but without the skills to use it it's useless to you. you will do much better riding a bike that is at your level of experience, when you get better get a better/faster/bike.

Too many with no experience just have to be seen on the best bikes and truth be known they get laughed at and disrespected much more than a new rider on an appropriate bike, don't be that guy.
Thankyou, this is just the boost i need !

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm 5'5" with 29" seam. Also lightweight, too, at roughly 120lbs. My ride is 899 Panigale, and I have to tiptoe. Once the suspension sag was properly adjusted for my weight, it did help quite a bit, but no way I can flatfoot it. But it's not a lot of problem. I can't comfortably walk back and forth on the seat, so I just learned to hop off the bike to do those maneuvers. My biggest problem in relation to my height wasn't that, actually. I don't know about the Streetfighter with higher handlebar, but all Ducati superbikes seem to be made for more average sized person (duh, of course!), so finding a comfortable riding position was much more of a challenge for me than how well I can reach the ground. With a stock riding position, I'm way too stretched out, so my solution was moving the foot pegs up and forward, it made a world of difference. Like other said, it's got lot to do with how confident and comfortable you feel. It won't help any, but I saw this video a while ago during my insomnia...

·
Registered
914 Posts
Picking which foot to put down, and one cheek off the seat works, I have done it with my 29" inseam. Used to have a DRZ400S. Never dropped it due to the seat height. But I really like the low seat of my Monster. Getting both feet down flat or nearly so is confidence inspiring at low and no speed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts