Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
i'll be here till my 85!
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
playing around with base camp, the Garmin routing software,
i put together my Euro dream trip...

1 night later, out came a 25.000 km (14.000 miles?) trip seeing north, east, south and west of Europa. Trondheim, Nordkapp, Tallin, Riga, Auschwitz, Mostar, Thessaloniki, Palermo, Corsica, Pirynees, Gribaltar, Lisboa, Brittany france, Galway ireland, Thurso Scotland and back to Belgium..

It could be done in 3 months :)

now : would the Multi 1200 stand up to it or would it be better to trash and old KLR650 on this trip? Leaving home with 7K km and comin home 3 months later with 32K on it would give me a different bike, no?

give me you ideas and insights please!

(ps : it would give me quit some input in the 'where have you been'-threads!)

grtz

Koen...

·
El lobo solitario
103 Posts
If you have the ability to take off three months and the financial means to do so, why would you want to do the trip on a KLR? The KLR is a fine bike if you plan on doing extensive dirt road riding but if you're going to be on pavement most of the way, taking the Multi would be a much better choice in my opinion. I guess it just depends on how much fun you really want to have! Your Multi will do just fine in the end.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Can you post a screenshot of that route? I'm really curious exactly what you created. You didn't forget Switzerland, did you? :think:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Never, ever, has there been an easier choice of answers;
GO!!!!! DUCATI!
:D

·
Registered
77 Posts
the first thought in my head after reading just the title was 'do it.'

that's all I have to say. and yes - don't forget switzerland...! and I highly recommend the croatian coast.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I say do it. Thing is you might have to check the service and where you will do it. its at 15k miles and by the time you get back you will be way past that. so schedule a service stop during the trip.

·
i'll be here till my 85!
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i did forget it... :(

Can you post a screenshot of that route? I'm really curious exactly what you created. You didn't forget Switzerland, did you? :think:
but there are more than enough twisties... about a gazillion i guess..
:)

here's what i came up with...

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Glad to see that you are covering the best part of Ireland which is the entire west coast!

If you have the opportunity to do this trip then do it. Don't put it off. I had great plans for a 3 month trip around Europe followed a year later by a 3 month trip around the US after my retirement this year. However bad news regarding my health means I'll never get the opportunity now. If you have the opportunity then go and go as soon as you can.

If you know when you're coming to Ireland let me know and I'll be happy to provide information and assistance.

·
i'll be here till my 85!
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad to see that you are covering the best part of Ireland which is the entire west coast!

If you have the opportunity to do this trip then do it. Don't put it off. I had great plans for a 3 month trip around Europe followed a year later by a 3 month trip around the US after my retirement this year. However bad news regarding my health means I'll never get the opportunity now. If you have the opportunity then go and go as soon as you can.

If you know when you're coming to Ireland let me know and I'll be happy to provide information and assistance.
Damn, Gerby... that some good advice... hope nothing to serious to spoil all other things! I'l note you down in the visit list...
but i'm not gone just yet...

grtz and take care!

Koen

·
Registered
131 Posts
Mate you got the bucks, you got the time then there is no discussion, take the Multi, its what it all about. The KLR is a heavy under powered (albeit reliable) mode of transport. Your memories and enjoyment of this fab trip will be diminished on a KLR.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I totally agree, take the Multi.
I grew up on the west coast of Ireland and I will tour Ireland and europe on a Ducati at some point.
I would love to ride on the roads I used to ride my X5 200 on when I was 14 with a Diavel or Multi or SF.

You sir are a very lucky man. Enjoy your trip. Take lots of pictures and have a beer in Galway for me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
hi koen, 'jealous' wouldnt come close to describing how i feel!!
id do that in a heartbeat on the multicati!
actually id do it ona moped if that was the only option! :D
as others have said, do it if you can and do it as soon as u can, non of us know whats around the corner!
some of the best biking roads in europe are in the west of ireland, followed closely by corsica!
let us know where you are and when youre due in ireland and maybe could show you some of the good routes?!:D

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Man don't let the opportunity slip. Life is short.

The Norwegian coast looks interesting. May have to try that some day.

Careful getting into Ireland and UK (who have very fine twisty roads). They drive on the wrong side of the road, and if there's no traffic, or anything to remind you, you may end up head to head with a cage.

·
Registered
90 Posts
playing around with base camp, the Garmin routing software,
i put together my Euro dream trip...

1 night later, out came a 25.000 km (14.000 miles?) trip seeing north, east, south and west of Europa. Trondheim, Nordkapp, Tallin, Riga, Auschwitz, Mostar, Thessaloniki, Palermo, Corsica, Pirynees, Gribaltar, Lisboa, Brittany france, Galway ireland, Thurso Scotland and back to Belgium..

It could be done in 3 months :)

now : would the Multi 1200 stand up to it or would it be better to trash and old KLR650 on this trip? Leaving home with 7K km and comin home 3 months later with 32K on it would give me a different bike, no?

give me you ideas and insights please!

(ps : it would give me quit some input in the 'where have you been'-threads!)

grtz

Koen...

Hey kope!

I have a planned trip with a pillion where we'll do approx 10 000km starting 3Th July. approx 1 and ½ week left!

The start is from Sweden and end destination is lake of garda in Italy.
Riding through Germany inst any spectacular but Austria and Italy will be unforgotten. My pillion will be wearing a Go pro 2 camera during ride also :-D

My best recommendation is the alps. There is no need for a specific road really, everything there is worth seeing. My best equipment recommendation for such a trip is the Gopro camera! :-D. You would want to document such a magnificent trip.

Lake of garda in Italy is probably one of the most beautiful lakes, worth taking a bath in it and eating Italian food on the nice areas around the lake.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts