Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know alot of people go beyond the recommended mileage for these major services. But, seriously, how far beyond the rec. mileage can you go without risking real damage(I'm due for belt swap)? Typically I'm very particular about these things but I don't have 1K for the service at the moment(everything else is breaking right now)? Thanks for the input. oh, 2002 998

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When was the last time (mileage) it had the valves checked and belts replaced?
The belts were last changed almost exactly 3 years/12,000 miles ago, and the 18,000 mile service(valves) was done exactly on time.I'm at 24,134 miles now.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The belts were last changed almost exactly 3 years/12,000 miles ago, and the 18,000 mile service(valves) was done exactly on time.I'm at 24,134 miles now.
I'd say that the min, check the belts very carefully and make a decision. but you might consider doing the belt service yourself. There are tons of "how-to" guides on the subject.

If you have a local DOC club, there would probably be people willing to help you out and help perform the maintenance it needs for a much cheaper cost.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
If its stored properly and isn't in extreme weather conditions on a daily basis, you should be fine with running a bit over the recommended schedule. Checking the belts isn't gonna do very much, its almost the same process as replacing them and since thats VERY easy to do, ya might as well get someone local to you who knows how to do it, to help you change them.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If its stored properly and isn't in extreme weather conditions on a daily basis, you should be fine with running a bit over the recommended schedule. Checking the belts isn't gonna do very much, its almost the same process as replacing them and since thats VERY easy to do, ya might as well get someone local to you who knows how to do it, to help you change them.
When you say running a "bit over" does that mean just a couple hundred miles, or more. I had someone recently tell me you could safely go 1000-2000 over and be fine. But I thought sounded pretty off. Thanks for all the input everybody.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mileage doesn't mean anything... type usage does. If your cruising around town, you can run a few thousand over. If your doing a track day, I'd recommend changing them out.
That's what I wanted to know. I assume cruising around town can include fwy and canyon too?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts