Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tamburini's masterpiece, still looking and running great at 22 years...

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
very nice

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Yep, that's a beauty. It's still on my to-do list to get myself a 998 or 996.

PhilB

·
Smut peddler
1,145 Posts
I still contend that if they re-released the 916 generation bike it would sell. I know it isn't as capable as the new bikes, but it has a character that defined what modern sportbikes are. No matter how many times I see one, I will stop and look at it. Hope to have one in the garage someday.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I still contend that if they re-released the 916 generation bike it would sell. I know it isn't as capable as the new bikes, but it has a character that defined what modern sportbikes are. No matter how many times I see one, I will stop and look at it. Hope to have one in the garage someday.
I know what you’re saying but I wouldn’t be so quick to say it’s not capable. Maybe I don’t quite have the power of the new bikes but the 916 gen bikes are very capable. I lap pretty quickly on my 916 gen race bikes compared to the ultra modern bikes. Once properly set up, they handle as well as anything else out there for a mere track day hack like me.

i think they’re the sweet spot between handling, power, style, and modern analog simplicity.
32067504-4331-40C1-90AD-78AB2E791F25.jpeg
E5516995-6826-48D4-883B-A7C76442E0CF.jpeg
35C06A49-F125-4003-83FA-77AFA709A770.jpeg

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Oh, I believe they are more capable than 99% of what most of us plebs are capable of getting out of them. I'm just saying that today's bikes are even further beyond what most of us are capable of. Fantastic pics BTW, @Sherpa23F 😎
Absolutely right and more than that, the 916 gen bikes are set up so well (at least for my dimensions) that they're really easy to ride to a higher threshold than today's bikes.

Today's bikes are a whole different story. I rode a couple of 2020 V4's at the track and to get them to work right, you have to ride them so hard. Not only do they push the envelope so far but their performance window is so deep into that envelope that there are very few people who can make them work and even fewer places that allow them to work in that performance window. So by the time I'm comparing apples to apples, I'm faster on my 916 bikes on most tracks. If I had 150 rwhp on any of them, I might be even faster than what I would do on the new bikes if it's a track with a long straight. But I know that I corner faster on the 916 bikes for certain. So the long and short of it is that the 916 gen bikes are still beyond my own performance abilities in a lot of ways.

And thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Looks fantastic! I would love to see more photos. I am restoring a 2000 996s that does not look anywhere as nice as yours, but hopefully some day. Looks like you swapped out the original tail light and blinkers. Any other mods?

·
Premium Member
5,197 Posts
"I still contend that if they re-released the 916 generation bike it would sell."

I agree 100%
The problem is Ducati will not do that they will do a "retro" version and it will have a excellent motor with more power than you can either need or use. As well as not getting the proportions correct it will be a modern take on a classic. so much like a modern Harley is a approximation of a 1950's bike, a triumph twin is anything like a vintage triumph and a sport classic Ducati was a vision of a bevel Ducati. I have no faith that a new version of the 916 would be anything recognizable to those who love the original.

Basics of vintage and modern never seem to pan out as in they are almost always too big, they may be good bikes but they are not close to the same.

Enjoy the originals and if you want one do not wait too long I do not imagine the prices you see today will be around much longer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Looks fantastic! I would love to see more photos. I am restoring a 2000 996s that does not look anywhere as nice as yours, but hopefully some day. Looks like you swapped out the original tail light and blinkers. Any other mods?
Thanks. I'll try to remember the mods, as I've had the 996 for many years. I have not really done that much to it:
  • Termignonis (w/ ECU and air filter)
  • Rear turn signals deleted and integrated in brake light cubes
  • Corbin seat
  • Oberon clutch slave (helps with the pretty hard pull of the OEM clutch lever)
  • CNR shorty levers
  • Carbon fiber front mud guard
  • Fast by Ferracci wind screen
I think that's it. I did have a shop powder coat the wheels a light gloss black.

She's a dream on the track. Even with only about 115hp, she keeps up with any modern SBK up to about 110mph. And I'd argue handles better than most. I've had an RSV4, MV F41000, RC51 - and for me, the 996 is better on the track than these others. But I also prefer an all analogue bike. (I'm old.) ;)

Cheers,

Reactions: vanduc996

·
Registered
2000 996 biposta
15 Posts
i have a 2000 model 996 and i still love it as much as when i brought it home in 2000. They are wonderful bikes and for spirited street rides i havent ridden another bike that i wouls trade it for. Smiles for miles

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Tamburini's masterpiece,
I believe this is absolutely correct, the 916 truly is a mechanical masterpiece right up there with any other two or four wheeled options one could mention.
Time and relative ubiquity has lessened the impact somewhat, but cast your mind back to when the 916 landed in late '93... It was truly stunning in every respect. And unequaled by any other motorcycle since, impact wise, i mean
I consider myself privileged and honoured to have owned a 996 since 2003
IMG_0838.PNG

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That’s a beaut! Way back in 2003 I had the pleasure of finding a ‘99 996S with 1100 miles on it. That’s one I wish I had not let go.

But the current one does just fine. 😉

I believe this is absolutely correct, the 916 truly is a mechanical masterpiece right up there with any other two or four wheeled options one could mention.
Time and relative ubiquity has lessened the impact somewhat, but cast your mind back to when the 916 landed in late '93... It was truly stunning in every respect. And unequaled by any other motorcycle since, impact wise, i mean
I consider myself privileged and honoured to have owned a 996 since 2003
View attachment 1003155

·
Registered
611 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts