Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Excellent Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a pretty massive project 900SS I am doing and when my mechanic and I were assembling the bike we realized that the front Rotobox wheel was for a 99+ M900 with the 25MM hollow axle. We are trying to see if we can get a new hub assembly from Rotobox or the correct wheel but are looking at other options.

The main issue is that I had my forks rebuilt by Traxxion Dynamics to retain the 20MM axle and 40mm Axial mount calipers as I am using Beringer brakes for this fork setup.

Secondary, the speedo drive pocket on the wheel is obviously for a 25MM fitment and the larger speedo drive.

My question is would it be possible to get different bearings for the wheel effectively making the 25mm current size smaller for the 20MM? I realize I'd have to create a new spacer for the internal spacer and possibly a couple more spacers to accommodate the new speedo drive and also replace the gears in the speedo drive to attain the right ratio.

Just looking for advice...:nerd:

Thanks,

Jared

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
The bearings are a challenge as the 20mm size is a wider bearing. There isn't really a lot of material on the shoulder to sink the bearing in with machining. Suitable bearings (sealed and suitable for the application don't exist.

Lots of guys use spacers. You can use a 25mm speedo drive and swap the gears over to make the ratio correct. You can fit a 25mm straight axle in the forks too. But as with spacers its not how the forks were designed to work and alignment can be problematic. But it has worked for guys on here.

Lots of threads on this topic. The search function will give you lots of results.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,367 Posts
Spacers can be fabricated to sleeve down the 25mm hollow axle size to the 20mm size, use the 25mm speedo drive as well. The correct bearings do not exist, I think I found some close but they were designed for conveyor belts and I would not trust them on a front wheel.

Best scenario is to simply get the correct wheel if they make it, they may not make one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts