Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out on a casual ride last night and the bike just quit while riding. I pulled over and started to investigate to find the 20A engine management fuse (the one under the seat) on FIRE! I put it out. I am lucky it didn't take the whole bike down.

Damage done - melted the wiring around the fuse, exploded fuse, and got hot enough to melt the fuse into the fuse socket. :mad:

Any thoughts to why his occured? :think: According the Haynes manual, the fuse goes to 1)Engine management relays 2)rectifier, then to the battery and rest of bike.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problem.

Do you have the original style wet cell battery in the SPS? The cells can short out. I did the battery conversion from desmotimes.com on my SPS. The new battery makes it turn over fast on start up.

Also read this and this from the Halls of Wisdom.
Don't forget to read this on batteries.

Good luck

·
Registered
37 Posts
Out on a casual ride last night and the bike just quit while riding. I pulled over and started to investigate to find the 20A engine management fuse (the one under the seat) on FIRE! I put it out. I am lucky it didn't take the whole bike down.

Damage done - melted the wiring around the fuse, exploded fuse, and got hot enough to melt the fuse into the fuse socket. :mad:

Any thoughts to why his occured? :think: According the Haynes manual, the fuse goes to 1)Engine management relays 2)rectifier, then to the battery and rest of bike.

i have a 916 mono... and i think my fuse (15amp) supplies the ecu and fuel pump....
mine got hot all the time enough to melt the plastic but not blow the fuse..
changing the fuel pump also cured this.. my fuel pump must have been overworked...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry to hear about your problem.

Do you have the original style wet cell battery in the SPS? The cells can short out. I did the battery conversion from desmotimes.com on my SPS. The new battery makes it turn over fast on start up.

Also read this and this from the Halls of Wisdom.
Don't forget to read this on batteries.

Good luck
I have a new battery. Read the links, thanks. I will look into those. Checked the rectifier last night; seems to be checking ok.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
They run hot, mine melted the plastic of the fuse yet was still working. Make sure your fuel filter's clean as if blocked the pump works harder placing more strain on the circuit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts