Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Multistrada V4S Radar & Travel Pack
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi to all V4 convicts (converts) - I bought my V4S just after it was released onto the dealers floors and have been busy running it in ready for a 1500km raid into NSW to ride what's left of all the best motorcycle roads in Aus.

So far so good (ignoring the engine recall for my particular VIN...... that's just luck of the draw and has been dealt with superbly by Ducati Aus). I have fitted some home made radiator screens and an oil cooler screen, a Givi quick release tank ring, and a 34 Ltr top case (because there is absolutely zero under seat storage). There is a nice little puncture repair kit (like the sort I have been using) and interestingly, the tool kit consists of 1 Allen key and 1 chain slack gauge.

Ducati obviously thinks most owners are nerds that should not be allowed near any tools...... but I have plenty of tools in my man cave........ my last bike was a KTM 1290 Super Duke GT - it had a proper tool kit ;)...... but no center stand!

So my 2nd V4S MS is loosening up nicely now with 780kms (the first version was recalled after 3 days & 955kms so I'm doing double duty running in again :LOL: ).......... There's a lot to like about the V4SMS........ The cruise control holds it's speed uphill and down...., and I find myself wondering what I would have done without the Radar and Blind Spot Alert tech. The suspension is excellent, the seat is comfy all day, the screen has no turbulence, the dash is superb, and the airconditioning duct's work so well I wonder where all the engine heat has gone? :unsure:

Gripes...... no TPMS on an alloy wheel road tourer ($286 for a front, and same again for the rear, rim sensor's... if/when stock arrives at Ducati Aus...) also, I like to run my low beam LED's in daylight (though Ducati state the DRL's are brighter. Aussie car drivers are blind and stupid.......), but the dash doesn't show a headlight on symbol for low beam.... it shows it for the DRL instead....... must be an Italian thing...... but that's ok ... I'm getting used to it.

So not many gripes, and fuel economy isn't bad even though for late stage running in the throttle has to be used with some vigor...... :devilish: ..... and there's plenty of that on tap!

Yesterday saw two Dave's, on two RED bikes, go for a ride out to Canungra (Gold Coast Hinterland) for :coffee: & SconesJam&Cream, then down Hinze's Raceway (an 80kph trial by sloth) to Tyalgum Pub for lunch, then out to Uki and over the range to Kyogle and through the Lyon's road (late afternoon autumn sun was a problem) to Beaudesert and home again to Brisbane through the traffic chaos in Springwood.......... 400kms of fun, until the Springwood bit at 5pm :D.

The V4S is a luxo touring bike that can do sport, whereas the KTM 1290 SDGT I traded was a fantastic sport bike that could do touring ........ so the center stand makes the Ducati the winner for me :love:....... and the RED paint;), and the 4 cylinders (y), and the amazing quality of finish and assembly :D.

The mirrors are excellent too,... did I mention the brakes?....... yes, autumn sun on dirty dusty 1 tonne tray back ute's tail lights = surprise emergency braking and swerve to avoid pain and suffering...... :(

Well done Ducati!...... you won me over at long last (y). The Audi Strada V4S is a fabulous bike!

PS Cracked the 1000kms on Saturday so it's booked in for the 1K service on Thursday (y)

Also, was fiddling around with the handlebars today (Sunday) trying to mount my 12ltr Givi quick release tank bag and discovered the bars can drop down past the 'road' mark and will slip under the tank bag easily.... also the brake reservoir can be unhooked from it's locating pin and supported by a zip tie so it is clear of the tank bag on full right lock. :D

Attachments

Reactions: motoman2

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hmmmm..... not many V4SMS 's on the forum yet :unsure:, or all out still running them in :LOL:..........

Oh well, I'll talk to myself........ :ROFLMAO:.

When I was last at the dealership I spotted a set of 'Michelin Road 5 Trail' tyres in the size & specs quoted in the V4SMS manual....... 120/70 ZR19 60W and 170/60 ZR17 72W.... - they look identical to the Road 5 sports touring hoops - but the mechanic thought they wouldn't be the load/speed rating needed for the V4SMS.

I've been researching the infernal web and as best as I can figure, they are the same specs and speed and load ratings as the stock Scorpion's.

Anyone else with the 19"F and narrow rear rim sizes on their MS (950, V4S...) thinking of a road only sporty tyre instead of a road/trail pattern? Know anything about the "new" Road 5 Trail tyres.... which look nothing like a "Trail" tyre?

(y)

Reactions: motoman2

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Dropped in to the dealership tyre counter and confirmed my info....... had a chat with the 'experts' and we all learned that indeed the Michelin Road 5 TRAIL tyres were correct spec for the V4SMS (y)

So If you wish to use Road 5 tyres instead of part road/trail then look under "Road 5 Trail" (I know, sounds strange...... but that's how Michelin have categorized them) (y)

Reactions: mlukason

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:devilish:....... was out for a ride this morning, finishing off the run in procedure with some 7k rpm hard acceleration runs. Great opportunity to hve some fun with typical holiday traffic (4wd towing caravans) as they slow down in double white line zones then amazingly speed up in overtaking zones........ :ROFLMAO:....... no contest on the V4SMS......... even at only 7k revs it flies (y)

Hasn't used a drop of oil either...... I checked it before the 1000km service, and same again after todays 400km sprint. Very pleased it is nothing like that other Italian engine (Aprilia 1200cc). I hate oil burning engines.

ANY V4 MS owners are most welcome to post their thoughts and pics here.

Reactions: scott and motoman2

·
Registered
Multistrada 1200s; 959; 1098; 790 Duke; DRZ400SM; SX-F 505; TZR250
3 Posts
Mate I am still on a 2015 1200S Multi but starting to seriously consider the V4SMS. Enjoyed reading your updates and looking forward to more as you spend more time on the bike.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers ADF,

I'll know a lot more after next weeks 2k km ride into Blue's territory...... but for now I am settling into the MS nicely.

Adjusting stuff is becoming 'automatic' and most of what I thought I might have issues with are now in the 'quite smart' folder.

I'll be educating myself on how to load the asymmetric Givi cases, which feel like they weigh 10kg ea empty, but are 5kg ea on the bathroom scales....... They are heavier (and sturdier) than the 3kg ea symmetric Shad cases that KTM supplied for the SDGT, but they are so easy to fit/remove, and they can wiggle side to side supposedly to help with high speed stability. Honestly Officer, I was just testing the stabilizers were operational for safety.........

Someone has put a lot of thought into this iteration of MS.

PS The 19" front wheel (& tyre) does not feel slow to turn either...... it might have when the tyre was still new and yet to settle in, but now it feels like a 17", except when it hits a pothole, it rolls over the top instead of taking a thump..... and the bars don't flinch or shake...... (y)

I'm liking the V4MS a lot........ the best is yet to come as it has only 1600kms and is still tight as a fish's arrrrr-uno what...... :D .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds great. Always nice to have you Queenslanders down in Blues territory.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aaaha....... found my saved pics, hiding on my phone instead of on my LT........... :D

So here's the big tart, in it's red dress, with lippy, all dressed up ready to go out....... 1st date..... :devilish:

Attachments

Reactions: ADF

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
OK, so I've made it back from my small gang of troublemakers annual ZIG ZAG raid on NSW ..........

BUT,

Not all of us made it back - on our bikes :devilish:

When we started off it was perfect for riding....... overcast so it wasn't too glare'y and cool but not cold. We enjoyed a good run from Beaudesert to Boonah (except for lots of roadworks), then up over Cunninghams Gap to Warwick for a wee-break :D. Apple Pie with Ice Cream was calling so we headed to Applethorpe (where else?)....... on the run in to the pie shop a Toyota RAV4 Hybrid driver overtook us (must have thought 7k over the limit was too slow...) and not 1km down the road a Police Kia Stinger Patrol car turned his blue & reds on and did a U turn and pulled the Toyota Driver over...... good timing, or it would have been us....... :cool:. Anyway, the apple pie was superb and we suited up and headed for Stanthorpe then westwards to Glenlyon via the Texas road, and on to Inverell for :coffee: at Freckles Boutique cafe.

Inverell was almost in our sights when, at just 40kms away, we were hit by a fast approaching storm with sideways driving rain.....and cold..... (no hail though). No time and no where to stop to suit up, we pressed on to town....... then we put our wets on and continued to Uralla for the night :ROFLMAO:, that's right isn't it, get saturated then put the plastics on .......... :rolleyes:

So there were wet jeans, gloves, boots, shirts everywhere in the rooms, with the aircon on 30C, trying to dry them out while we went out for a meal and a beer at the Top Pub...... desert was a delicious Chocolate Caramel Roulet (y) Yum!

The TV news had us down in the dumps about the weather...... rain, more rain, storms down south, so the Oxley assault was not going to happen :cry:...... we figured if we go north to Armidale then head east for Dorrigo we would at least get some corners in before it rained again........ :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:....... optimists to the end...... Oh well, we regrouped at Dorrigo after the lead rider failed to see the group turn off the "Waterfall Way", to, errr, look at a waterfall....... so I gave chase, which was a perfect time to open up the V4S and see what it had after 7k rpms (since it had 2,500kms up and the OM said I should open up the taps to complete the break in :devilish: )......... honestly officer, I didn't want to do it, but Ducati said I had too ;). I reckon It looked and sounded great as I blitzed past a 4wd towing a trailer at arrrrr, a good pace......;)

OK so down the damn damp traffic infested range to Bellingen for lunch at the Butter Factory tourist trap (actually a favorite for us - great :coffee: and excellent food)....... BUT........ another "BUT" :rolleyes:,....this time just as the lead 1200DVT and I pitched into the descent, the Harley rider found himself sideways with his rear brake locked on solid (it's a 2018 with ABS :eek:). He slid into the armco railings but was uninjured...... bike not rideable. Score one for team Red, nil for team Black.

The bike dealership at Coffs harbour is a HD/Ducati/KTM franchise so they came and picked up the pieces.... and also took the bike away for repair :giggle:. That meant we were staying at Coffs Harbour not Port Macquarie as we had hoped for the Oxley ascent that was never going to happen in the dry :censored:...... the motel had under cover parking and since it rained all night..... you get the picture..... worked out well in the end.

HD guys wife drove through the night from Brisbane to Coffs to take him home the next day..... oh the shame :eek:.

Luckily it stopped raining in the morning and we saw on the BOM radar that it was looking ok back the way we came so we had breakfast at Bellingen and hit the range up to Dorrigo in the dry (y). At least that put the 'Zig' into the 'Zag' for this trip. Light rain, wet roads to Ebor..... road works at Ebor meant we looked like we had been off-road.....

Ebor to Guyra was the go (a 'Zag') and at Guyra we saw the swirling clouds closing in again and decided to run for home........ defeated, but defiant.....

Lunch at Glenn Innes (The "Local" Cafe), fuel at Tenterfield, change to clear visor and a drink at Warwick (Macca's) at 4pm, then non stop to Brissvegas.... home by 7pm. The night ride was great as I was able to confirm I had managed to adjust my headlight aim correctly. I love those back lit switches! It was nice to ride line astern at night, following the sexy Ducati MS tail lights at 4 sec spacing so as not to put glare into the leading riders mirrors..... We got off the busy Warrego Hwy and came in via Springfield Lakes and the Logan Mwy, so at least we got some tight corners in the roundabouts and interchange spaghetti on ramps :LOL:.

Overall..... not such a great trip.... but it did prove the V4S to be a brilliant all weather machine - the cases were totally dry inside, the seat was good all day and into the night, the headlights, once set correctly, were good (and I even saw the cornering lights come on in, errr, corners).

Now with over 3,000kms (2,000 mls) the tank range is improving as the engine frees up more, so instead of struggling to make 300kms, it is heading to 380kms - I'll know when I refill the tank after I wash the grime off, but with 302kms on the odo at this minute, the dash still hasn't switched over to DTE countdown (previous rides had it showing 10/20/30 kms to go).

Every ride is an adventure......

(y)

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
G'day...... me again....... :D

Went for a ride last Sunday after washing all the :poop: off........ the fuel gauge switched to countdown just 500m from a servo so I filled up. I had 309kms and took 17ltrs, so I figure reserve is 4 ltrs useable......

Filling up requires patience towards the end, and bumping the handle bars to help get fuel past the air bubble until it stops dropping below the filler neck. That gives a properly full tank without being overfull with no room for fuel expansion.

So that's a confirmation at the pump for 18km/ltr average touring....... obviously sports riding will be worse, but at least this means the V4 can make 360kms or better if not busting the local limits (y)

PS Nearly fergot..... ;) ....... the cases get covered in said :poop: as the fender guard is too short, but at least they keep all the crud off the rider's...... BUT...... crud gets under the slides that lock the cases on and when it dries after washing, the latching mechanism becomes stiff and the plastic red locking levers bend a lot - so be careful not to break them - maybe rinse the slides thoroughly or try some Innox lubricant as I have just done....... and I thought my KTM (Shad) cases were a problem....... :rolleyes: Oh well, it's now a known cleaning thing :LOL:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:ROFLMAO:........ gotta laugh at myself on this one...........

I had noticed (on 2 occasions) my V4 had become mysteriously 'frozen' after bumping down off the center stand. So when my Harley mate crashed on the last trip due to suspected ABS failure, I was somewhat concerned my new V4S MS might also have a brake problem........

I booked in for a check over, but something told me to read the owners manual and I discovered it had 'Hill Hold control'.

Aaaaha...... could it be?...... So I raced out to the garage, unlocked the bike and tested the theory...... it was activating hill hold when I pulled the front brake on suddenly as the bike dropped off the center stand.

Cancelled the booking (didn't want the tech's laughing at me for being so silly).......... :D

Reactions: scott

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mate - still loving the updates. Dropped into Frasers at Concord today with my wife to have another look at the V4. Lining up a test ride for sometime next week.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Cheers ADF,

Don't forget to press the button with the shockie symbol to quickly adjust to Auto Leveling........ then the bike takes care of all that so 2 up isn't such a guessing game for spring preload.

Leave it in Touring for the test ride, with reduced power, as the motor is so tight it makes Sport feel very touchy and hard to get a smooth shift. I'm getting ready to try Sport again, now I've got over 3,400kms...... but the first attempt at 1000kms was just too difficult to enjoy. Mine should be ready for full power in the mid range now though :devilish:.

Also, if you buy one........ check the headlight aim ASAP....... mine were pointing aimlessly into the ground and were dangerous as nobody (cars trucks and my bike touring friends) could see me - several car drivers turned in front, but I didn't get all steamed up as I suspected my low beams were too low....... after 6-7 flat's of adjustment (now at 10 flats up) they are properly set for day and night riding (high beam shoots parallel to the road and low has that little bit of daytime sparkle/flicker to alert other drivers). I use the DRL in town, but prefer 2 bright lights out on the open roads ;).

(y)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
:D....... Ride yesterday (y)..... nice autumn weather, but can't say the same about my fellow road users :rolleyes:. Their ambition's were exceeding their abilities so we tried our best to find back roads and leave them to their braindead bullying.

We survived one psychopath's aggressive tailgating antic's (while we were trapped behind a slow nuisance driver - yes you - the numbskull in the Blue Faclon V8 'Pursuit' ute :mad:), managed to turn off and enjoy some quiet back roads I'd never been on before.

BMW1200RT handed me the lead after Kilcoy so I had a gr8 time with the V4S in the twistie's from the Somerset Dam road to Toogoolahwah...... it is becoming well known as it is quite scenic and challenging, but no doubt a few crashes will draw the attention of authorities and speed limits may come down, down, ;)...... but it was fine yesterday and we enjoyed some spirited (yet sensible) riding before morning tea at a main street cafe in Toogoolahwah. Hey there's a War Birds Airshow scheduled at Watts Bridge airfield on the 1st weekend in July...... google Brisbane Valley airshow for details and lets hope the Victorian's get their mutant CV19 outbreak under control...... :( ...... time to get the jab if you haven't done so already (I've had mine (y)).

We then headed to Esk with more stupid car driving drones taking risks overtaking on crests or needlessly tailgating at 100kph. Onwards to Peaks Crossing to inspect a site for the Historic Motorcycle Club's big annual show. All good there, so we had lunch at The Peaks Crossing Bistro (attached to the Ampol servo)...... nice people, nice tucker, I made a good call as the Pub was chocker's with HD's and farm ute's(y)

All in all a nice little 340km jaunt..... all the slow stuff through Ipswich City and the early back roads riding cut the V4's average economy down to 17k/ltr, but it was similar to what the 1290SDGT I had would have recorded on the same run. I pitted for fuel with 7kms showing on the DTE and it took 20Ltrs..... so there was likely another litre or maybe 1.5 left in the tank...... damn that airbubble..... it requires careful trickling to get the tank full (but not overfull)....

:unsure: maybe there is some scope to drill a relief hole in the filler neck at some future date, to allow for a smoother fill action (not to squeeze more fuel in)........

(y)

PS My BMW mate said I was still hard to see on the open hwy with my main low beams on, so i have wound them up another 3 flats on the hex adjusters..... that's a total of 10 flats so far...... i have joined the Ducati Club of QLD so I hope to test the adjustment on a night ride into the city for their club meeting on Wednesday. The DRL is good though, on an overcast day, but is not very bright on a harsh full sun day out of city traffic so I'm wanting to make my main beams (low) sparkle like 99% of oncoming bikes and all my Dycati MS companions but the design is totally different..... the LED's shoot straight down and the reflectors then bend the beam 90Deg out front..... so they have a very sharp cutoff and I might have to sacrifice night riding for day time sparkle........ I don't ride much at night anyway and I want to be seen for kms in the day time.........work in progress :LOL:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
:devilish:...... Ok... so I have a fancy Red Ducati in my garage ....after 43+ years of riding bikes.... I thought I should join the Ducati Owners Club of QLD...... I've known many of their members for decades, from tug-o-war games at drunken bike rallies, race track days, ride days and weekends away, even though I was always a non Ducati owner, they tolerated me.

So now I'm legit.... :cool:.

And now I'm one of clan Red, they have adopted my group of ageing relic's tried and proven formula for mid week rides........ We held the first ride today!........ and got rained on :ROFLMAO:!...... oh well, :poop: happens, but it was good fun and we managed to avoid the worst of the weekday worker traffic and got home before the school mums hit the wet roads and the Springwood bottleneck brought the M1 to a stop......

10 bikes turned up, most with silver hair (except me ... I'm the baby of the group.... only 63..... still on 'L' plates :ROFLMAO: :devilish: )

But I've got the nicest bike........ :p ....... well, they were all very nice bikes actually, and a great bunch of blokes, also the owner of the excellent "Choux Box Cafe" at Kingscliff is a dedicated Ducati enthusiast...... also with a V4SMS (full spec pack + wire wheels)..... (y)

Just gotta dial in better weather for our next sortie.

PS Didn't get a chance to ask if anyone noticed whether my headlights were up high enough to be bright and sparkly...... I've got them up 10 hex flats now.... they were 'good' last night on the run home from the club's monthly meeting, tested them on a quiet dark street, so I think they're set now.....

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
:D..... Been fiddling with the V4SMS......o_O.. already....:rolleyes:.....

I found the fork legs set at 1mm different heights above the clamps (8 & 7mm). While adjusting that issue I decided to raise them another 2mm..... to 10mm of tube through the clamps (not including the cap). I had previously leveled the rear sub frame so the side cases no longer sagged a noticeable 3mm down to the left o_O..... so it's all straight now, and....... no more handle bar wiggles :D .

Also, gone is that slightly vague steering I mostly noticed at slow take off's from traffic lights (eg in traffic)...... the bike feels pointed now...... but I wouldn't raise the forks if you are doing dirt work.

So check your fork heights are equal, especially if you have any wiggles or vagueness. The right fork leg hex nut adjuster was set at just over 5 turns in from full counter clockwise, as it is supposed to be.... I may wind a turn or two in as I get used to the bike or if I carry a passenger..... :unsure:..... no rush, it's fine as is for now.

I had a last minute brain-fart and removed the lower air scoops..... just for fun / looks...... but as expected, I didn't notice any difference while riding back roads on the weekend...... maybe at very high speeds they might help hold the V4 down, but it's our usual mild winter here so they are not needed for cooling, but next weekend while I'm out prowling with the DCOQ guys, I might get the chance to give it a good squirt or two and see if it's lost any high speed stability :devilish:....

Oh... PS....... after 4,600kms the engine feels nicely free, so I set it to Sport and that felt real nice. I also adjusted Touring mode to full power dynamic instead of using reduced power for the break in........ and that also feels real good!

No more clunky gear changes...... hot knife through butter...... Yahoooo :D

Also, what a pity Ducati hadn't put the oil sight glass on the left side (see the blank sight glass moulding in the below pic...). I park my V4SMS against a wall on the right side so i can't easily check the sight glass before a ride (I check it after a ride though, or when I move it out to do some maintenance etc).

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
G'day Dave, after a little info about the different models. I had a look at the new KTM super adventure s today and was impressed, but I really like the look of the V4 better. Ive rang a couple of dealers in relation to the different spec etc. Im after the V4s sport (like the paint scheme) which comes standard with Akro exhaust and carbon fender. Then I want the Travel and Radar pack. I Dont need the full pack because it only adds the exhaust and carbon fender which is already part of the sport trim level. Alas, the dealer tells me I can only get the travel pack or the full pack. It makes no sense to pay for the full pack when it already comes with aforementioned gear. Basically its an extra couple of grand for the paint scheme. Did you come across this when buying???

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Cheers Shake&Bake,

I had no choice........ the travel & radar pack was the "only" V4 MS in stock and my dealership was intending to make it their demo bike until I twisted their arm :D. They had no idea when more stock was due, so I jumped rather than wait - but now I've read about the V4 MS Pikes Peak (spy photo in last issue of AMCN) and if I had waited.....:unsure:..... it will likely be $45k........ but.......... ;)

I distinctly recall saying to the sales guys that I was keen, but didn't want the side cases (too small, too pricey, too heavy, I thought). They were calling their display bike a "Tech Pack", which was confusing as I knew it was the radar & travel pack...... but thought it may have had some other options added as a teaser (but it didn't). Anyway, I too would have preferred the 'Sport' paint scheme (I like the red side covers better than the V4S silver) and I would have lived without the Givi cases and just fitted a 40Ltr top case or found some soft luggage. I had thought of buying some aftermarket racks in 12 months time (when SWMotech & others got around to making them) and fitting my big 40Ltr Givi E41 side cases, but now I realize the rear radar would be compromised by the larger cases....... so lucky me, I ended up with the right bike, (the only bike :LOL:) and I somehow, unintentionally, jumped the queue........ and the sales guy reminds me of this every time I drop by........:LOL:

I like the look of the KTM 1290SAS on the road (seen a lot going the other way and they look smart)...... but parked on the sales floor they have that huge blunt butt ugly headlight (n). However they are significantly cheaper than the prima donna V4S, and with their new WP top of the range suspension and front radar CC, probably do everything as well as the Ducati....... I really liked my gen 1 SDGT, so I figure I would have also liked the SAS.

But Ducati got under my guard....... damn that RED paint........

PS..... keep in mind the Accra sports pack is not just a muffler...... it's the full system from under the donk to out the can and comes with the correct mapping. that Full model also gets the crash bars and aux lights..... only option is the wire wheels........ still, I would have been happy with just the 'Essential' V4s and add my own bits just like back in the 80's, but there was no choice until now - saw a base model V4 beside a V4S T&R at another dealership last week, so stocks must be filtering through.

Take a look at the Pikes Peak spy photo in AMCN (or on the web somewhere)..... it is coming but probably as a 22 model....... and start saving.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts