Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Would you consider buying the new 2021 Multistrada V4 now that you know the details?

• Yes

• No

61 - 80 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi All, I put down a $1000 deposit on a Red V4S with Wire wheels.
I figure if I love it, as I hope, I will get a second set of 17" forged/cast wheels pure street and some track work. Should be a simple fit but more $$.
I have owned and loved the Ducati V-twins (and older singles) for the last 35 years. I currrently have a 2019 Panigale V4 for pure track work. The new V4 motor does what I want; better, smoother, and faster but still retains so much of the sounds and character of the V2 motors. I really liked my 848 track bikes (just sold), 899 and 959 but needed more rev range and power. The 1299 felt too big and raw for finite track work.
The counter-rotating V4 (and/or the CG packaging) does seem to help it hide its bulk and weight, which is beneficial on the track.
I am expecting with the large changes on the new V4 Multi, that it should also feel much lighter dynamically than the prior 1260/1200 V2's.
So I will hold my opinion on the 19" front wheel until I have riden it. It is spec'd as a 120F, so its clearly meant to carve corners.
I plan to use mine as 80% Supersport tourer, 8% track and 2% connecting gravel or dirt roads.
It will sound glorious with a property exhaust system.

Cheers,

William
Santa Cruz, Ca

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hi All, I put down a $1000 deposit on a Red V4S with Wire wheels.
I figure if I love it, as I hope, I will get a second set of 17" forged/cast wheels pure street and some track work. Should be a simple fit but more $$.
I have owned and loved the Ducati V-twins (and older singles) for the last 35 years. I currrently have a 2019 Panigale V4 for pure track work. The new V4 motor does what I want; better, smoother, and faster but still retains so much of the sounds and character of the V2 motors. I really liked my 848 track bikes (just sold), 899 and 959 but needed more rev range and power. The 1299 felt too big and raw for finite track work.
The counter-rotating V4 (and/or the CG packaging) does seem to help it hide its bulk and weight, which is beneficial on the track.
I am expecting with the large changes on the new V4 Multi, that it should also feel much lighter dynamically than the prior 1260/1200 V2's.
So I will hold my opinion on the 19" front wheel until I have riden it. It is spec'd as a 120F, so its clearly meant to carve corners.
I plan to use mine as 80% Supersport tourer, 8% track and 2% connecting gravel or dirt roads.
It will sound glorious with a property exhaust system.

Cheers,

William
Santa Cruz, Ca
Interesting to read this. Wouldn't putting a 17" front wheel on the V4 mess with all the electronics (ABS, traction control, speedometer, etc) and their accuracy or ability to work properly? It would seem to me that a bike designed with a 19" front wheel could not simply have it swapped to a 17" front wheel without some unforeseen mechanical/electrical issues.

Oh & BTW- I used to live in Monterey years ago and enjoyed riding my bike (Honda VFR) up to Santa Cruz. Great riding around the Bay!

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
I was allover the 2015 1200s touring DVT multi when it came out and a dealer near me happened to get one that he was not expecting, I got the termignoni slip-on, urban pack, pretty much everything. Styling, performance in the twistys was fantastic, in my opinion Skyhook is better than BMW ESA, and the Ducati adaptive fuel injection mapping is better than what I had on my 1200GS and what I have on my 1250GS but it was the most uncomfortable bike I ever owned. Max was 150 miles on my multi, at the time I think the owners of the DVT multi were pretty much split 50/50 on the comfort but for me it was really uncomfortable. I have most of the farkels on my GS, shift assist pro, race ABS besides standard ABS, no slip-on as there is no need. I still think the Ducati Multis( 1260 & V4 ) are the best styled bikes in the segment, but the overall rideability on the GS is just better. That being said, I have not yet ridden a V4 MTS and the mass centralization which is really good on the GS may be just as well or better on the V4 MTS. Let's face it, Ducati, KTM, and BMW have built some really great bikes in this segment, as this is a Ducati forum we all have a bit or more of a bias for the brand. I still own 2 ST's( ST3s ABS & ST4s ) which are as kick-and-a-half to ride but for everyday I use my 1250GS, just like I rode my 1200s touring when I had it. It comes down to what you suits you the best.

Reactions: JafoNJ

·
Registered
2018 Multistrada 1260S
3 Posts
My lovestory with the Multistrada when i actually tried one for the first time in 2017. Have had a weak spot for it since 2015-ish. The testride was a complete fullsize grin-experience, I was smiling for days after that.

I ordered one new 1260S and had it delivered in april 2018. Touring kit, sport kit and urban kit. I love the hell out of this bike. So far it has been everything I want in a motorcycle. I put about 8000km on it every season. I do one really long trip every august, this year i put 200km on the bike in 5 days. Besides riding every day possible, I also enjoy taking it to the track and grind some pegs. Both pegs and brake pedal has scuff marks from asphalt.

My wish for the 2021 Multistrada V4S was as simple as stuffing a V4 in the 1260 chassis and bump it up to 200-ish hp. Add the electronics with radar and such and ity would have been a killer bike!

I will not buy the new Multistrada in it's current configuration. I can still ride my 2018 for a year or two then swap it for a low mileage 2020. After that I'll just have to see what the competition has shown of new bikes.

That is, unless Ducati listens to us and launch the "Multistrada V4R".... with 17" front wheel, a little diet, lowered back to 1260S spec and at least a 190 rear tyre for play. 170 hp is ok, but it would be more fun tormenting "R" bikes with a little more grunt.

·
Registered
307 Posts
My lovestory with the Multistrada when i actually tried one for the first time in 2017...
My "love story" with Ducati started with the Diavel, but then over time "matured" to the all around capabilities of the Multistrada. Makes me think of these Ducati models a bit like women:

You love to date the Diavel. 😍😈​
But you want to marry the Multistrada. 🥰😇​

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
My "love story" with Ducati started with the Diavel, but then over time "matured" to the all around capabilities of the Multistrada. Makes me think of these Ducati models a bit like women:

but crave sex with your Panigale mistress
and your wife turns into a Monster
where you wind-up with Hyper whatever.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Episode 3 was both a let down and a hard on.
SuperSport was a non-event only increasing the displacement of the current SS939 to not lose power because of Euro 5.
No SuperSport V4. Therefore, keeping my 1260 Multi Pikes Peak for what seems like forever. Not a bad place to be actually.
Good news: Black Panigale V4 SP
Wow. Mega arousal. Let's see how much this unbelivableness costs?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Interesting to read this. Wouldn't putting a 17" front wheel on the V4 mess with all the electronics (ABS, traction control, speedometer, etc) and their accuracy or ability to work properly? It would seem to me that a bike designed with a 19" front wheel could not simply have it swapped to a 17" front wheel without some unforeseen mechanical/electrical issues.

Oh & BTW- I used to live in Monterey years ago and enjoyed riding my bike (Honda VFR) up to Santa Cruz. Great riding around the Bay!
Hello HooDoo,
I am expecting and hoping that the factory settings will allow for a tire diameter reading, as is on my Panigale V4. So if I fit different ratio tires (55/60/65) you go to setting, ride it in 2nd gear until it has the readings, then all of the ABS, traction control etc is set. If not it should be able to be adjusted at a Ducati controller, but that would less than ideal.
Another feature I love on the V4 motor is the refined smoothness, but with the right amount of gear and engine rumble like the earlier V2's. The larger displacement should provide an amazingly wide torque curve, yet not be cranky at low RPM, as the big twins.

Another aspect I am anticipating, as though I am sad for the loss of the steel tube trellis frame (to me an epitome classic feature of Ducati, more so the SSSA), is the new monocoque from is only the width of the engine (20mm more than 1260 V2) opposed to the prior trellis frame wrapping and attaching to the outside of the engine. It should make the bike and cockpit slimmer and less hard protrusions.

I do plan to run the V4 Multi hard at Laguna when I get the chance. I feel fortunate to be in the area.

Cheers,

William
Santa Cruz, Ca

·
Registered
307 Posts
Episode 3 was both a let down and a hard on.
SuperSport was a non-event only increasing the displacement of the current SS939 to not lose power because of Euro 5.
No SuperSport V4. Therefore, keeping my 1260 Multi Pikes Peak for what seems like forever. Not a bad place to be actually.
Good news: Black Panigale V4 SP
Wow. Mega arousal. Let's see how much this unbelivableness costs?
$37,000 for the V4 SP

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hello HooDoo,
I am expecting and hoping that the factory settings will allow for a tire diameter reading, as is on my Panigale V4. So if I git different ratio tires (55/60/65) you go to setting, ride it in 2nd gear until it has the readings and how all of the ABS, traction control etc is set. If not it should be able to be adjusted at a Ducati controller, but that would less than ideal.
Another feature I love on the V4 motor is the refined smoothness, but with the right amount of gear and engine rumble like the earlier V2's. The larger displacement should provide an amazingly wide torque curve, yet not be cranky at low RPM, as the big twins.

Another aspect I am anticipating, as though I am sad for the loss of the steel tube trellis frame (to me an epitome classic feature of Ducati, more so the SSSA), is the new monocoque from is only the width of the engine (20mm more than 1260 V2) opposed to the prior trellis frame wrapping and attaching to the outside of the engine. It should make the bike and cockpit slimmer and less hard protrusions.

I do plan to run the V4 Multi hard at Laguna when I get the chance. I feel fortunate to be in the area.

Cheers,

William
Santa Cruz, Ca
Nice! Love Laguna. Met Paul Newman there at a race way back in the day doing volunteer work at the track. I’ve driven that track hundreds of times (in video games haha) but would love to do it live on a Ducati. Thrilling for sure! 👍

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)

You must be aching to ride again following your long hiatus. What's your choice knowing Ducait's 2021 lineup so far?
Diavel, Multi ? Other?

·
Registered
307 Posts
You must be aching to ride again following your long hiatus. What's your choice knowing Ducait's 2021 lineup so far?
Diavel, Multi ? Other?
I talked to another dealer today. He seemed very confident that Ducati will nail the road-going performance of the V4 with its 19" front. He used the 950S (his own personal bike) as an example of a well planted, fun to ride bike even with its 19" front wheel. For all those Multi 950 owners out there, I'd love to hear feedback on that riding experience (road going dynamics) vs the 1260 if you've done both (engine performance aside). This dealer seemed to think that this V4 will not disappoint, and he's got 15+ years of riding & selling many Ducatis to inform his opinion.

As such, I'm leaning more heavily to the new V4 S. I'm likely days away from making a deposit on one. 🤑

·
Registered
371 Posts
I really don't understand all this deposit business. None of these are limited models, they'll make as many as they can sell. It's appropriate for a dealership to take a small deposit to reserve one of the first bikes for you, but that's really all it should be about: holding your place in line. $250, maybe $500 max. If you want to put down more, fine, but if any dealer required a $1000 deposit for a non-limited production motorcycle, I'd tell them they just lost my business. I'm putting down a deposit, not giving you a two month interest free loan.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I talked to another dealer today. He seemed very confident that Ducati will nail the road-going performance of the V4 with its 19" front. He used the 950S (his own personal bike) as an example of a well planted, fun to ride bike even with its 19" front wheel. For all those Multi 950 owners out there, I'd love to hear feedback on that riding experience (road going dynamics) vs the 1260 if you've done both (engine performance aside). This dealer seemed to think that this V4 will not disappoint, and he's got 15+ years of riding & selling many Ducatis to inform his opinion.

As such, I'm leaning more heavily to the new V4 S. I'm likely days away from making a deposit on one. 🤑
I have a Multi 950S, and had a 2014 Multi 1200S before her, so I can give my opinion. BUT I'm admittedly not a highly skilled rider.

Engine aside, there's nothing different in my opinion from one to the other. Everything I did with the 1200S I can do with the 950S, with the same level of effort, skill or perceived feeling. There are no roads and/or turns I have to do at a slower speed with the 950S vs what I did with the 1200S. The 950S is still very agile, nimble to drive around and change direction, easy to lean and to attack turn as I felt on the previous bike.

I've never been on a track day, so can't comment that specific situation.

But please take it as my opinion, and aware of the above disclaimer in bold. I'm not a ninja rider and I can safely say that my limits come earlier than the bike's.

Reactions: HoodooGuru

·
Registered
307 Posts
I really don't understand all this deposit business. None of these are limited models, they'll make as many as they can sell. It's appropriate for a dealership to take a small deposit to reserve one of the first bikes for you, but that's really all it should be about: holding your place in line. $250, maybe $500 max. If you want to put down more, fine, but if any dealer required a $1000 deposit for a non-limited production motorcycle, I'd tell them they just lost my business. I'm putting down a deposit, not giving you a two month interest free loan.
I totally agree. This deposit should merely be the way to secure your place in line for an order given that most dealers are being given limited units at launch, typically 3-4 per dealer from what I'm seeing (having talked to half dozen dealers now). So yes, max $500 down to secure an order and NOT any more which is indeed an interest free loan to the dealer.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have a Multi 950S, and had a 2014 Multi 1200S before her, so I can give my opinion. BUT I'm admittedly not a highly skilled rider.

Engine aside, there's nothing different in my opinion from one to the other. Everything I did with the 1200S I can do with the 950S, with the same level of effort, skill or perceived feeling. There are no roads and/or turns I have to do at a slower speed with the 950S vs what I did with the 1200S. The 950S is still very agile, nimble to drive around and change direction, easy to lean and to attack turn as I felt on the previous bike.

But please take it as my opinion, and aware of the above disclaimer in bold. I'm not a ninja rider and I can safely say that my limits come earlier than the bike's.
Good to know, thanks for sharing @fipenna You seem to echo what that dealer sale rep told me-- the new V4 will likely handle as well or better than the 950S. And as a new rider back into a bike, I also likely won't be pushing the limits of the bike's capabilities so the V4 with its 19" front may suit me just fine, especially when I try some of the fireroads & other off-road tracks around Utah and nearby states.

I do like the new dashboard and UI-- Ducati software engineers did their work to present the info and controls in the right way. Play with it here:

·
Registered
13 Posts

I'll second fipenna's views on the handling.
I have been motorcycling for the last 40 years. Presently own a 2018 1260s in the south of France and rent a 950's whenever I'm away on business in Mallorca to do the mountains.
Handling wise they both feel exactly the same. There is no perceivable difference in handling or braking.
In France I do a lot of miles with a friend who is out spoken on his views of, how good the 950 is. Unfortunately I have to quietly agree about the handling.
I hope this brings some clarity.
Mallorca, rentals.

Mons, looking down towards Cannes.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
I talked to another dealer today. He seemed very confident that Ducati will nail the road-going performance of the V4 with its 19" front. This dealer seemed to think that this V4 will not disappoint, and he's got 15+ years of riding & selling many Ducatis to inform his opinion.
Seriously, What would you expect him to say?
People refuse to understand a concept where their income is contingient to not understanding it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks to those who gave the feedback regarding the 19 inch front wheel on the 950 multi. I think a little (actually a lot) credit to the Ducati engineers have to be given their do. Yes, I get the 19 inch front wheel might be a nonstarter for some but the smallest adjustments and changes in the overall geometry of the chassis will be designed for that wheel and it should be as nimble planted and sporting as it could be with a 17 inch front wheel. My only beef is that the selection of more sporting and track-focused rubber is only available in 17 inch wheel sizes.
On numerous track days, I’ve seen a handful of talented riders take the BMW 1200GS with 19 inch front wheel and clean the clocks on many of the riders on full sportbikes with race rubber in A group, even fun to watch them barge over the rumble strips with a bigger wheel and longer suspension travel.
I have every confidence the new V4 Multi will even be more impressive. Once you’ve gone to that motor it is very difficult to go back to the V2. Ducati generates a large percentage of the revenue from the multi-Strada. This complete reengineering was an expensive undertaking. If they missed the mark that would be a tragic financial mistake.

As for the need to put down a deposit, it’s just a matter of supply and demand. There was no additional dealer markup, in fact I got a bit of a discount by depositing in advance. But lately, the supply of all sport luxury goods have been extremely limited (motorcycles/boats/mountain bikes/RVs/watercraft/side-by-side/most adult toys) and if you want one soon I would not wait to put down a deposit. In the state of California, legally deposits have to be refunded if you choose not to purchase (so low risk).

cheers,

William
Santa Cruz, Ca

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
I have every confidence the new V4 Multi will be even be more impressive. Once you’ve gone to that motor it is very difficult to go back to the V2.

...if you want one soon I would not wait to put down a deposit. In the state of California illegally has to be refunded if you choose not to purchase (so low risk).
cheers,

William
Santa Cruz, Ca
Will all due respect, confidence and $2 won't buy you a coffee at Starbucks. How can you make such a claim without having tried it? Your comment reads like a Ducati salesperson.
You just joined this tread without an introduction in the new member section which is proper etiquette.
At a minimum, we should tell us a bit about yourself what you're currently riding.

61 - 80 of 98 Posts