Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Would you consider buying the new 2021 Multistrada V4 now that you know the details?

• Yes

• No

41 - 60 of 98 Posts

Registered
I guess I am in the minority as I put a deposit down before it was even officially announced. I have owned several Ducati's and liked them all. You should not buy something you "might" like. My 2016 MTS1200S is ready to trade. Maybe if I owned a newer 1260 it would be different. .

Registered
With this Wednesday's announcement, that means the only remaining models left for the two final World Premieres are:

Diavel
Hypermotard
Monster
Superleggera

With the 2021 Diavels already being sold by dealers, you'd think there wouldn't be anything to announce for that, leaving it with the Hypermotard, Monster, and Superleggera. I think for sure there's a Monster update coming in one of these announcements, so that leaves Hypermotard & Superleggera with the second announcement. Or, one announcement might not even be related to a current model such as a new Ducati Corse update or some non-product announcement on warranties/financing or some other service offering.

My largely uninformed guess... 馃

Registered
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
The Superlegerra V4 has already been done. Very little chance of seeing another.
However, What a Machine!
Superleggera V4.jpeg
What you're likely to see is a 2021 Black Ducati Panigale V4-SP

Looking forward to the SuperSport announcement.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Duckfoot22

Registered
I honestly think that the engine is a bit of a technical masterpiece... if it lives up to the claims. As much as I love my Desmo valves... if I were in the market for this bike I would want low maintenance and a smooth running engine. Better center of gravity, better handling bike, slightly more power, crazy maintenance intervals... It鈥檚 a win on paper but the 鈥淒ucatisti鈥 are pretty up in arms over it. Porsche fans lamented water cooling too. I think they鈥檝e innovated a ton, but it鈥檚 a risk. Reminds me a bit of the 999 when it came out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree re the smoothness. Besides the rear brake being absent from new on my 2014 GT the only other complaint I've had is the V2 feels like an agricultural farm implement at low revs and a pain in traffic. My previous bike, a 2010 Honda CB1000F was honey smooth and from 40kph would accelerate in 6th(!) gear without complaint or hesitation - really miss that tractability in the Multi. Oh, the rear brake actually worked too! If this new V4 is everything I read then it could be all my wishes come true. I wouldn't buy for the first few years of a new model Ducati though - I'm done with being a Duc beta-tester as most early Duc owners are. come 2023 it will be clear if it is screwed together properly this time - if so I will be a buyer.

Registered
I agree re the smoothness. Besides the rear brake being absent from new on my 2014 GT the only other complaint I've had is the V2 feels like an agricultural farm implement at low revs and a pain in traffic. Some label this 'rough round the edges' trait as character. I disagree. My previous bike, a 2010 Honda CB1000F was honey smooth and from 40kph would accelerate in 6th(!) gear without complaint or hesitation - really miss that tractability in the Multi. Oh, the rear brake actually worked too! I am, however, in love with the Ducati high end power/acceleration and handling - never had better than in the Multi, like heaven on a stick. If this new V4 is everything I read then it could be all my wishes come true. I wouldn't buy for the first few years of a new model Ducati though - I'm done with being a Duc beta-tester as most early Duc owners are. come 2023 it will be clear if it is screwed together properly this time - if so I will be a buyer.

Registered
So that鈥檚 what I鈥檓 afraid of with the 1200S I鈥檓 looking at. The 鈥渢ractor at low speed鈥 behavior... hopefully I can ride one before committing. If it鈥檚 as bad as some say I may opt for a 950.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
My 2013 1200S Touring is good for a while yet, despite the rear brake! Yes, my left hand gets tired working the clutch in slow traffic, but I recall a 1200 R9T I rented in California a few years ago being worse. The 1200 V-twin engine is full of character, and is a real party piece when you give it its head, despite its long legs (I barely use 5th, let alone 6th). Here in NZ, the 1200S is pretty much perfect for what I use it for.

The V4 is interesting with its improved electronics (over what I have), cruise control is nice, hill control would be fantastic, and if it has a rear brake ... but, at this stage, not enough to justify a change.

Not sure I understand the references above to no non-spoked wheel option ... the online configurator has red, black, red & whit options, with spoked and non-spoked options. I think once the bikes are acrually available, more options will be on offer. If I do another US tour, or when I do a Euro tour, I鈥檒l certainly buy one and ship it back. I鈥檒l then need to work out which to keep!

Registered
I put a Rapid Bike ECU piggy back on my 2016 Multistrada 1200S and it straightened out the low speed "fueling" so the bike is considerably more tractable at low speeds. People are saying that the V4 is much better across the entire RPM range. Here's hoping......

Registered
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
So that鈥檚 what I鈥檓 afraid of with the 1200S I鈥檓 looking at. The 鈥渢ractor at low speed鈥 behavior... hopefully I can ride one before committing. If it鈥檚 as bad as some say I may opt for a 950.
My 2013 1200S Touring is good for a while yet, despite the rear brake! Yes, my left hand gets tired working the clutch in slow traffic, but I recall a 1200 R9T I rented in California a few years ago being worse. The 1200 V-twin engine is full of character, and is a rear part piece when you give it its head, despite its long legs (I barely use 5th, let alone 6th). Here in NZ, the 1200S is pretty much perfect for what I use it for.
All Ducatis are geared too long. A 42T (+2R) will be a big improvement at snail speeds.
Thousands of posts on the topic can be found on these forums.

Registered
I'd definitely be interested in a test ride. I have the 950 and just love it for my purposes. True multi road bike. Road tours and unpaved dirt roads. From my perspective , I like the smaller 950ish engine size and ground clearance (not that I'm going on single track but still aesthetics for me, I like the better ground clearance on the 950), the back cylinders don't fire at idle and the claim its 'cooler' in the heat (need to test it in the Texas Summer!). I really like the 19" for my purposes - especially of broke roads, potholes, it just great. I've taken my to the track and its fine for me even on the stock Pirelli Scorpion II tires.

So in summary the appeal to me is more powerful, versatile engine and maintenance interval in the 950 engine dimension size. The tech is nice but not must have for me. Heavier is not a big plus, but its not a deal breaker for me (28 lbs). Still has trellis (for rear seat section), split double sided swing arm looks great (but i rather have a single sided).

But I NEED TO RIDE !!! :p

Premium Member
I bought a 2015 MTS 1200S Touring DVT when it first became available in May of 2015. I had it for three and a half months until I had an unfortunate incident with a deer and the bike was done. Long travel suspension sport tourer for sure and much faster than my 2007 ST3s ABS on which I have put 75k miles, a lot of it 2 up. Replaced the dvt multi with a 2016 1200GS triple black, much more comfortable for both one up and two up riding. The new V4 multi makes 170HP but only 92 ft lbs of torque impressive horsepower a bit low on the torque and since most riding in the twistys benefits from midrange torque I will take the 105 ft lbs and 136HP that my 125GS makes over the multi. Both my 1200GS and my 1250GS are better at low rpms than my multi 1200S DVT was. Not sure how the V4 multi will be with a 19 inch front and a 170/17 rear in the twistys but the GS is just fine. The Multi is still the better looking bike and the twins with 17 inch wheels are definitely sporty performers in the twistys. As for the dual sided swing arm, I think they should have gone for a single sided unit on the V4 multi, let's face it the multi is not a GP bike and who cares about a few extra pounds of weight on these touring/sport touring bikes that is already around 450+ lbs, these are not sport bikes after all.

Reactions: FRQ_FLYR

Registered
I cast my vote as a "no" for now. I have a 2018 1260S with all the bells and whistles which suits me fine. I am more a fan of cast 17inch wheels and do not expect to take this off road other than to navigate to a camp site or similar journey. The current setup of the V4 with the 19inch front tire is not directly in my zone and I expect several iterations from Ducati over the next few years to tune this bike to the market. Assuming these things happen, I would then look at the V4 maybe in 2023 or 2024. If nothing changes in their config, maybe I'll warm to the 19incher and take the plunge b/c I really like the platform and have had V4s in the past (multiple Interceptors and VFRs).

Registered
I've never found V4s all that enticing--owned several Honda VFRs and ridden a couple Aprilias.
Heard the Ducati V4 run, have not ridden one, so I will withold judgement until I ride one...it might be different enough to make me happy.
I like the idea of the longer service interval and could probably live with the 19 front wheel.
Considerably less enthusiastic about the loss of the trellis frame and SSSA.
For the time being, I'm pretty happy with my 45k mile 2012 1200S and will probably keep it another couple years.

Registered
Discussion Starter #55
I reached-out to many here in order to add some color to the survey. I discovered that those that voted "No" were a hard NO. There's a few hard "Yes" also but many of those that voted Yes were keeping their options open.

Reactions: FRQ_FLYR and Xyst

Registered
I reached-out to many here in order to add some color to the survey. I discovered that those that voted "No" were a hard NO. There's a few hard "Yes" also but many of those that voted Yes were keeping their options open.
I鈥檓 a Quite Possibly Yes until I get a chance to ride it back to back with a 1260. Then it may turn to a Hard Yes or F**k No.

Registered
I'm in the market.
The V4GT motor is a masterpiece.
I'm disappointed with the package they wrapped around it, it's a WTF moment for me.

No V4 Multi for me, now looks like a KTM.
My other bike is a 790 Duke very happy with it.
I have a 2020 KTM Superduke GT for sale, with orange wheels and extras. Selling to build a MotoAmerica Superstock Superbike. See cycletrader

Registered
Per other thread: I loved my 2014 Multi, but it was time to try something else. I also had an inkling it was going to be $25k+ (+10% tax) in a configuration I might want, so I took a different path and jumped to a new XR, saving myself some coin for farkles and other toys. What I absolutely did not anticipate was the V4 being such an ADV style bike, that really was a surprise.

41 - 60 of 98 Posts