Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Would you consider buying the new 2021 Multistrada V4 now that you know the details?

• Yes

Votes: 52 42.6%
  • No

Votes: 70 57.4%
181 - 200 of 213 Posts
Not across the board my golden friend.
The 1260 Pikes Peak with light Forged Marchesini wheels feels lighter and handles faster than the 1200 DVT. Light and stiffer wheels are the most significant handling upgrade you can make.
So you’re saying “stiffness” improves handling!?

Discussion starter · #182 · (Edited)
Yes but it's the torsional rigidity and the rim stiffness of the wheel.
I don't have the knowledge to explain it but perhaps this article can shed some light on the topic.
Honestly, this stuff is over my head.

Not across the board my golden friend.
The 1260 Pikes Peak with light Forged Marchesini wheels feels lighter and handles faster than the 1200 DVT. Light and stiffer wheels are the most significant handling upgrade you can make.
Congratulations on your real expensive ducati purchase! I was just making a point the 1200s DVT is good in it‘s own right as well. Wasn't asking for a debate. Cheers bro!

Of course, I don't have the skill set to appreciate it but that's beside the point.
No question the 1260 PP is a sweet ass machine but it wasn’t in my timing or budget plan.
That longer wheel base makes for slower handling feeling but more stable at higher speeds. Better for touring of you will.
Settled for a 14’ Tard SP this 2021.

The difference is I can add forged (or CF) wheels to my 2016, best of luck shortening your wheelbase ;)

Discussion starter · #188 ·
The difference is I can add forged (or CF) wheels to my 2016, best of luck shortening your wheelbase ;)
Of course you can upgrade the wheels and add an Ohlins suspension fore and aft.
It will only cost $6000 ;)

I'm happy with the skyhook on my S. I've ridden ohlins before (not on a PP) and while it was good, I wouldn't say it was night and day better than anything else.

edit I also bought my bike new for 15k CAD last fall, I'd bet you spent more than 21k CAD for your PP ;)

Discussion starter · #190 ·
When you combine the wheels and Ohlins it does add up to significant handling improvements.
If it's worth the price of admission is personal i suppose.
Wheels ,Ohlins, Termignoni carbon bits and livery...was for me and yes I spent more that 💰 21K.
I didn't have to buy a Ducati either. A Tracer GT at half the price would have done the job.
When you're dead...it's for a long time. ;)

I like the new bike, but after touring with some 1250 GS's at warp speed I am getting a GS at some point. If i had to pick a few defining traits it would be the telelever front end, off road ability, wind protection and comfort. Now before you go poo pooing my opinion, I have done the WA backcountry route on my non enduro '17, just added TKC 80's for the trip. So I know the multi will do it, but buzzing down unpaved dirt/gravel roads is just less of an issue on a GS. Those bikes are fast as hell in the slower corners too, that telelever is F magic. I drug parts several times and could not keep up at max effort riding. I should mention we travel 90-110mph steadily, in Mexico. Factor in better wind protection, another 1" of travel or so, and that sums it up for me.

Discussion starter · #193 ·
@esoteric Makes perfect sense. I'm strictly tarmac but if I were going long and far on dirt and gravel, the R 1250 GS would be on my short list if not at the top as I'd want a shaft drive for that application.
About the Contis: There's this thread which could use your opinion:

@esoteric Makes perfect sense. I'm strictly tarmac but if I were going long and far on dirt and gravel, the R 1250 GS would be on my short list if not at the top as I'd want a shaft drive for that application.
About the Contis: There's this thread which could use your opinion:
The TKC-80's are the best max effort offroad tire imo. Pretty squirrely on tarmac though, and rear would probably only last 1000 miles or so. The bonus is you get accustomed to high speed cornering on asphalt with those things, and going back to a street tire you feel like Superman! LOL. With the tkc's I managed to do the infamous "baby's head" trail, and did not drop bike the whole trip. I did bash centerstand many times, at slow speeds. I only had top case, and jacked my skyhook all the way up. The locals said DO NOT take cast wheels up there, but if you're cautious we proved it can be done. My buddy did drop his GS, I believe he was running Hidenau tires. We passed a GS800 that punched a hole in RH sidecase. They were JB welding it, and some Jeeps had oil. He had full engine protection on the bike, but the boulder went exactly in between them, and found it's mark. At one point a dozen people were lined up to watch us come up hill, they were shaking their heads lol but we did it! Felt pretty good. Had a frosty one up top, along with thousands of yellow jackets. Only 1 sting haha

Discussion starter · #195 · (Edited)
The TKC-80's are the best max effort offroad tire imo. Pretty squirrely on tarmac though, and rear would probably only last 1000 miles or so. The bonus is you get accustomed to high speed cornering on asphalt with those things, and going back to a street tire you feel like Superman! LOL. With the tkc's I managed to do the infamous "baby's head" trail, and did not drop bike the whole trip. I did bash centerstand many times, at slow speeds. I only had top case, and jacked my skyhook all the way up. The locals said DO NOT take cast wheels up there, but if you're cautious we proved it can be done. My buddy did drop his GS, I believe he was running Hidenau tires. We passed a GS800 that punched a hole in RH sidecase. They were JB welding it, and some Jeeps had oil. He had full engine protection on the bike, but the boulder went exactly in between them, and found it's mark. At one point a dozen people were lined up to watch us come up hill, they were shaking their heads lol but we did it! Felt pretty good. Had a frosty one up top, along with thousands of yellow jackets. Only 1 sting haha
Good info for the new Multistrada V4 buyers and their off-tarmac initiatives.

I've been through two sets of TKC80's and agree with the above. I have the same aggressive off-road style and had no problem with the Atlantic BDR on my '13 with cast wheels. Very hard to compare bikes with different riders IMO, but the KTM 1090 and GS1200 I was riding with were not measurably quicker in any way throughout the week....and I was always faster on the hard surfaces.....Only difference is that I got closer to 3k miles from the rear of both sets I've had.

Reactions: esoteric
I've been through two sets of TKC80's and agree with the above. I have the same aggressive off-road style and had no problem with the Atlantic BDR on my '13 with cast wheels. Very hard to compare bikes with different riders IMO, but the KTM 1090 and GS1200 I was riding with were not measurably quicker in any way throughout the week....and I was always faster on the hard surfaces.....Only difference is that I got closer to 3k miles from the rear of both sets I've had.
I would classify my off road riding as more of a trials type. There was no way to push any speed with cast wheels, limited clearance and boulders. Pretty much exclusively 1st gear. I picked my line very carefully. I also run 1 tooth small c/s sprocket. I didn't know the tkc 80's had a speed limit, duh. Chit I ran up to 120mph coming home, yikes! I was a bit quicker than them overall when they had their 1200 GS's, at slower corners they had me, higher speeds I had them, and in the straits I could put on several bike lengths. The 1250, coupled with me being 260 lbs and them 180, that thing is barking at my tire the whole time and they were able to make a pass at in slower corners, at will. In Mexico on gravel/dirt type roads they were long gone. I was on full street tires, and not willing to damage my bike. Of note they had hidenau tires, and that's some impressive street performance. We traded bikes for a bit and I cant believe how planted and confidence inspiring that telelever is. I thought my skills were lacking but again I drug parts on mine. Watching that bike go around 30 mph corners, almost appearing to be upright, leaving me in the dust. The bike is a winner. I have resisted the GS forever, and dabbled with an S1000XR between my '12 Multi and this '17. Once they do VVT on both cams, I'm in, ugly and all. I guess there is beauty in function. Good info on the tire life, I was just gauging based on the wear at the time.

Discussion starter · #199 ·
Problem with that would probably be the even thirstier motor on the SF. I believe this is what they tried to fix with the Multi V4 engine and seem to have failed.
Panniers notwithstanding, I would have thought that a fairing would actually improve fuel economy.

181 - 200 of 213 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.