Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

Thoughts on the new Monster?

• Love It!

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Meh... It's okay

Votes: 19 41.3%
  • It's horrible... not a real monster

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • Waiting to see on the reviews

Votes: 6 13.0%
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts

I don’t understand the evolution of the foot pegs holders... 2018 version you could easily remove the passenger foot pegs and holder for a clean look

·
Premium Member
5,181 Posts
I think the thing we need to keep in mind is that Ducati is a business and they have no apparent choice but to tip over the cart and create new every few years. They can not continue to build the same thing no matter how it sells or is loved, in business you either move forward or die. Being around in the 999 era we saw plenty of 916 owners vow to never buy a Ducati again, most did.

The reason they do it is the competition media killed the 998 more than any sales drop, paid journalists simply get tired of seeing a similar bike show up every year. As time goes on they reward the "new" because well... its new, no different than most of us. Each corporate change you see a different Ducati come out and ideas on what models stay changes as well. Now that they are owned by an adult company who likes things likes profits more than the love of its consumers you do things that will create more profit.

Ducati has never been in as good a health as a company and are doing well on the world stage, this means NEW consumers so you no longer need old consumers. This new bike is not being marketed to old Ducati owners it is targeted at the newer owners who are comparing this bike to other current motorcycles (like youtube influencers ). Ducati needs to do this to survive so they will build this bike and no matter how great it is in 10 years they will start discontinuing parts for it and replace it with something else in about 5 years. Progress does not mean improved just movement, movement is inevitable.

Lol, Belter I think that may just prove we are all a bunch of whiny people who like to complain. We will someday also complain that the petrol powered vehicles were better that all the electrics we will be allowed to buy. If you look at what we are talking about it is pretty good in that we have the ability to buy and own a piece of new technology called the "new" or buy and own something old. Its our choice for now.

Alexc
I have not played with swapping injectors and measuring improvements , if any. I do not know if the different injectors will give real world improvements or much like the new models of motorcycles we are talking about just new. Much like there is no one building a motorcycle with a P8 ecu anymore no one is going to put old generation injectors in a new bike. The thing is you do not find owners of P8 ecus (916, 907) complaining that their bikes run poorly and I do not know that these bikes would do any better in power or driveability if suddenly equipped with shower injectors.

·
Registered
'06 S2R 1100 Custom, '12 SF 1040
506 Posts
I think the thing we need to keep in mind is that Ducati is a business and they have no apparent choice but to tip over the cart and create new every few years. They can not continue to build the same thing no matter how it sells or is loved, in business you either move forward or die. Being around in the 999 era we saw plenty of 916 owners vow to never buy a Ducati again, most did.

The reason they do it is the competition media killed the 998 more than any sales drop, paid journalists simply get tired of seeing a similar bike show up every year. As time goes on they reward the "new" because well... its new, no different than most of us. Each corporate change you see a different Ducati come out and ideas on what models stay changes as well. Now that they are owned by an adult company who likes things likes profits more than the love of its consumers you do things that will create more profit.

Ducati has never been in as good a health as a company and are doing well on the world stage, this means NEW consumers so you no longer need old consumers. This new bike is not being marketed to old Ducati owners it is targeted at the newer owners who are comparing this bike to other current motorcycles (like youtube influencers ). Ducati needs to do this to survive so they will build this bike and no matter how great it is in 10 years they will start discontinuing parts for it and replace it with something else in about 5 years. Progress does not mean improved just movement, movement is inevitable.

Alexc
I have not played with swapping injectors and measuring improvements , if any. I do not know if the different injectors will give real world improvements or much like the new models of motorcycles we are talking about just new. Much like there is no one building a motorcycle with a P8 ecu anymore no one is going to put old generation injectors in a new bike. The thing is you do not find owners of P8 ecus (916, 907) complaining that their bikes run poorly and I do not know that these bikes would do any better in power or driveability if suddenly equipped with shower injectors.
Oh man, the YouTube influencers are gonna be unbearable talking about these monsters!

Thanks for the response, I’m not looking for power, just smoother delivery.

It’s more of a “see if I can do it” type of thing since COVID and winter have me researching and learning as much as possible.

Adding a High flow fuel pump, 3.5 bar pressure regulator, and 12 hole shower injectors all at the same time will definitely be an interesting experience, I’ll definitely let the forum know.

Still working on a guide on how to switch from wet clutch to dry clutch for under $500, so it’s in the queue of content to add here 👍

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

Lol, Belter I think that may just prove we are all a bunch of whiny people who like to complain. We will someday also complain that the petrol powered vehicles were better that all the electrics we will be allowed to buy. If you look at what we are talking about it is pretty good in that we have the ability to buy and own a piece of new technology called the "new" or buy and own something old. Its our choice for now.

Alexc

Haha very fair points. I couldn't help but complain as the inner "purist" in me was throwing a fit about the new bike. Thankfully, there's plenty of older options out there to snag while we still have petrol left

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have an S4Rs and I love it, but it’s taken a fair bit of work to make it something I want to ride as much as look at.

Even now it has its limitations. By modern standards that ancient chassis design feels pretty soft to me - as in, pliant. I believe I feel it as imprecision in the steering at high speed. Doesn’t bother me because it’s a naked and I rarely corner at speeds where it matters, whereas the softness reduces fatigue and may even add road feel at low-medium speeds. And because it contributes to the sense that Im riding a hotrod - that the motor is really a bit much for the rest.

I don’t mind either that Ducati has hung onto Monster in naming a new bike that meets the same functional needs that mine meets. It’s their name for the bike that they have that does those things at any particular time.

Open question for me at this point is what the new bike will feel like to ride. Lots of people seem to like that engine so we can take that as good. The chassis geometry is very close to mine, with a slightly longer wheelbase (likely a good thing). If they have been able to preserve a fair bit of Ducati character while adding rigidity then it could be a very nice ride indeed.

I can remember that when the original Monster came out, it’s looks did nothing for me at all. Stupid little peanut tank, half an instrument panel, slow engine, sit-up-and-beg handlebar - a Ducati to go shopping on. Why bother? The new one will start to look good if it works well for people who actually ride it.

·
Premium Member
5,181 Posts
In my experience I find the companies that build things I want commonly "go broke" because they are often more passionate about building something great,unique or more enthusiast based vs mass marketing great. This also means they often are not run by businessmen watching that they are profitable and this leads them to run into money issues often. look at how many times Ducati was bankrupt or forced to be sold when they were small and building bikes that put them on the world stage. Same holds true for MV Augusta, husqvarna, Benelli etc.

If say Mv as a example if the company was bought up by Toyota they would be run by Toyota and start making decisions like Toyota makes. The machines would be good but due to the Toyota thought process of building and selling things they would stop being Mv as they are now a company who builds cool bikes on a shoe string budget for enthusiasts but will likely never get out of debt. I prefer these small company machines because I feel (my opinion) they have more blood sweat and tears into them as the builder is trying to create something special with sales as opposed to creating something for sales that might also be special.

These brands tend to suffer small or broke business woes and you simply need to understand things like they are LIKELY to go out of business at some point and parts availability will never be guarantied. You know like Ducati used to be, when I started looking at them Ducati's were not much different than royal Enfield is today . A odd brand no one had expectations of NOT having problems with a dealer network made up of old racers running the Dealership out of a pre-fab two bay garage. Magazines loved on the cover them but often hinted you would be best not buying one, most owners understood what they were buying.

I would be lying if I did not say I missed those days when it was more about the bikes and less about marble floors and selling t-shirts. You felt you were parts of the business with them instead of a customer and often you were the quality control guy or mechanic in the end...lol. Different experience and time marches on, more people today buy them and still enjoy the products without needing to worry about the company being there tomorrow. Bikes like this should make the future bright and that is a good thing for the company.

·
Premium Member
5,181 Posts
"By modern standards that ancient chassis design feels pretty soft to me - as in, pliant. I believe I feel it as imprecision in the steering at high speed."

As with any bike be sure to get your suspension set up for how you ride, that ancient chassis is likely not your issue unless you have loose motor mounts. Any Ducati made in the 90's (short of the paso) should be capable of being a bit of a scalpel with just springs and a bit of setup. Most Ducati's then and now come with poor spring rates no matter the suspension brand, you might look there if you have not.

Riding newer monsters will likely feel more harsh in the rear due to the loss of superbike type rear suspension in favor of a cantilever design. If your roads are not full of bumps you loose weight with the newer design as long as they have not added it elsewhere.

FE
The project looks good with that swingarm.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I will he resurrecting my old S4/1098 build. Most parts got sold but kept the frame.

It will be 1198 motor, 70mm Leo V, OZ Piegas, 1098rs swingarm, ttx test shock, 1098rs height adj and flat rocker. Also have a Microtec ECU, IMA yokes. 1098rs discs.

This was it in 1098 guise with 999 arm.
View attachment 999887
Oh man that's going to be awesome! Good luck with the project man, i'm jealous

·
Premium Member
5,181 Posts
Tectonic
Great photos I would call the 1st gen a
Autos - Cars blog: салон AC Cobra

Not really a race car but certainly a fun car with lots of appeal to your senses, classic fun.

What would that make the S2r?
Or 696 generation?

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I figure if Ducati calls it a Monster, it's a Monster. What else?
Yes, it's a new generation of Monster, feel free to have your favorite.

They say time marches on.
But imho, it hauls ass.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Tectonic

Not really a race car but certainly a fun car with lots of appeal to your senses, classic fun.

Or 696 generation?
That’s a great analogy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I figure if Ducati calls it a Monster, it's a Monster. What else?
Yes, it's a new generation of Monster, feel free to have your favorite.

They say time marches on.
But imho, it hauls ass.
The engine will definitely be a bright spot, no doubt. My gripes are more with the styling, though maybe I'm being overly critical. I look forward to getting to ride one and giving It a proper review!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Tectonic

Or 696 generation?

The S2R reminds me of an 80's air cooled porsche.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Definitely waiting for a demo ride to decide. In short looks/signature is important but the ride is much much more.

The long:
When I was riding a monster 750, my wife got a 696 when they came out (replacing her 620). After riding hers for about 5 minutes I decided to move to 1100ds even though I disliked the look to a moderate degree. The geometry, ride, weight and engine made the bike my perfect ride.

Even though she has moved onto though the 821/1200, that generation ride, geometry and weight was two steps in the wrong direction.

To me, on paper the new Monster is close to or better than the 1100ds.

The new look isn't terrible and if it rides like I think it should I will finally get to put a ton of hours/miles on a Monster similar to my 1100ds's with cornering ABS/TC.

·
Registered
2007 Monster S2R1000
18 Posts
21 - 40 of 53 Posts