Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

Thoughts on the new Monster?

• Love It!

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Meh... It's okay

Votes: 19 41.3%
  • It's horrible... not a real monster

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • Waiting to see on the reviews

Votes: 6 13.0%
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2001 S4, 2000 750ie Sport
473 Posts
I'll wait until I see/ hear one in real life before I decide if I like it or not.
The "new" monster has divided opinions on what makes a real monster and most of the arguments can be equally applied to monsters made in the last decade.
"Its not a monster if it has a radiator"
Nonsense. The radiator on the S4/S4R/S4RS fills the front out and makes those models look beefier than any air cooled model and who wouldn't want a monster with a superbike engine?
"Its not a monster without a trellis frame"
That means the recent models are only half a monster as the trellis has been absent from the back half for a while now.
If we're looking at appearances why not look at swing arms, exhausts and and the front on view?
Should a monster have a cast alloy swing arm or some spaghetti monstrosity?
Neither are anything like the original monster.
Shouldn't a "real" monster have low slung exhausts like the original?
How about a round headlight?
Don't even get me started on the goofy looking clusters and bikini fairings on some of the later offerings.
The less said about plastic fuel tanks with air holes in them the better.
I may cop some flack for my opinion but a the last "real" monster was made in the early 2000s and was air cooled but the best monster was the S4 due to it having ALL of the original styling with the added bonus of the iconic 916 engine.
It was good enough for Foggy and its good enough for me.
That's my opinion.
Feel free to waste your time trying to change it.
2002-ducati-monster-s4-fogarty-edition-for-sale.jpg
You know I'm right.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll wait until I see/ hear one in real life before I decide if I like it or not.
The "new" monster has divided opinions on what makes a real monster and most of the arguments can be equally applied to monsters made in the last decade.
"Its not a monster if it has a radiator"
Nonsense. The radiator on the S4/S4R/S4RS fills the front out and makes those models look beefier than any air cooled model and who wouldn't want a monster with a superbike engine?
"Its not a monster without a trellis frame"
That means the recent models are only half a monster as the trellis has been absent from the back half for a while now.
If we're looking at appearances why not look at swing arms, exhausts and and the front on view?
Should a monster have a cast alloy swing arm or some spaghetti monstrosity?
Neither are anything like the original monster.
Shouldn't a "real" monster have low slung exhausts like the original?
How about a round headlight?
Don't even get me started on the goofy looking clusters and bikini fairings on some of the later offerings.
The less said about plastic fuel tanks with air holes in them the better.
I may cop some flack for my opinion but a the last "real" monster was made in the early 2000s and was air cooled but the best monster was the S4 due to it having ALL of the original styling with the added bonus of the iconic 916 engine.
It was good enough for Foggy and its good enough for me.
That's my opinion.
Feel free to waste your time trying to change it. View attachment 999835 You know I'm right.

Haha you bring up some fantastic points. I'm also a massive fan of the S4 line, so you won't hear any arguments from me!

·
Registered
2001 S4, 2000 750ie Sport
473 Posts
As technology advances so does machinery.
There's probably guys on this forum that would say ducati lost their true spirit with the introduction of disk brakes and electric stIarters.
Sometimes manufacturers need to retire a product name they have used for decades.
Look at how the Aussie Holden fans reacted to a front wheel drive Commodore.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Whats to stop Ducati from slipping a retro Monster into the Scam line up? Some of them are pretty close anyway.

·
Premium Member
5,197 Posts
Making Superman a black woman means it is no longer superman to me, that does not mean it is not great though.

I agree Just move on from the name , they only keep it because they think it may bring a few sales since they are not able to think up a better name. I am sure it is a fine motorcycle but I am a old purist who liked the original version best for its simplicity, the amount of power it made was never the point. A SIMPLE bare bones motorcycle that was a good mix of power and weight (for the time) yet very owner serviceable and extremely customizeable.

I also agree the foggy was a great bike but the issue with the water pumpers is you needed to bury the water bits to pretend they did not exist, at the point the motor is covered up why not buy a faired bike? There is a long line of monsters at this point and I do like many of them while disliking some as well, too soon to tell on this one. None were perfect but that's what the owner was supposed to do make it their own and create something close to perfection for them.

I look forward to seeing what new owners will create with this bike as its starting point.

·
Premium Member
5,197 Posts
There is a ass for every seat so although a particular model may not be to my taste maybe I am the weird one, not my place to dictate what is good or bad when it comes to looks I only have one persons opinion. Now when you get into more hard data such as weight , power, parts count, labor times for basic jobs those can be compared without (hopefully) bias. When you call something progress it is a directional thing and is full of bias. Lighter weight can be good or bad, more power can be good or bad. Rider aids can be good for beginners or bad for mechanics, everything in between.

·
Smut peddler
1,145 Posts
I'm sure it's a great bike. But there are a lot of great bikes. What has always separated a Ducati from every other brand to me, is that you never mistook it for anything else. They set the standards for styling that every other brand followed. Take the decals off that one, put it in a line up of all the jap brands, bet no one would know. Apparently Ducati has hired displaced Yamaha designers. Sad.

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Multistrada 950, 2018 Desert Sled
119 Posts
I've ridden the last generation of monsters and I'm a fan of the 1200. I have the 950 MTS, and love the engine. The trellis frame is "prettier" but monocoque is more modern in my opinion.
Question for the forum: was the original monster a mash up of the Ducati parts bin? If so, is this one still a mash up of the modern parts bin? Evolution of the part bin so to speak.

·
Registered
'06 S2R 1100 Custom, '12 SF 1040
506 Posts
There’s an argument for keeping the original styling with the trellis frame and there is an argument for having some updated parts bin characteristics.

Having a frame and intake derived from a panigale is similar to using an 888 trellis frame.
Simplifying the design was the original lightweight, minimalist concept of the monster, just an engine, frame, seat, and wheels.

This seems like a simplified, parts bin bike in a way, which is why I’m ok with it. The original round headlight always looked slightly out of place, a bit too far forward to me, so I’ve always been ok with the headlight redesigns.

The Dr. Frankenstein engineers at Ducati called it the Monster for a reason. If the era changes, the parts(or at least influence) that they take out of the bin will inevitably change, which is why this seems like the first real monster since the s4rs.

Yes, the tank/intake could look better, but it’s gonna suck in a lot of air.
Yes, the exhaust is uglier than the 821/1200, but simplification has always been the core of what the monster is, and it saves a lot of weight.

The tail and subframe are beautiful. The headlight is fine for my taste. The weight specs make me drool. You could easily cut 20 lbs off Ducati’s claimed number, and that makes it sound like it would be the most fun on the street out of Ducati’s current lineup.

Keep in mind, I don’t pay attention to the scramblers, because those are just triumphs with a v twin, and the 797 was a mess in my opinion, both on specs and the fact that it had a horrible fit in Ducati’s lineup.

All this is just my opinion, but at the end of the day, I think you can count on Frankenstein when it comes to building his Monster.

·
Premium Member
5,197 Posts
Yes the OG monster was a parts bin but due to the small size of Ducati at the time this was necessary.

early monster

Superbike swingarm and rear suspension
Superbike forks (also shared with the supersport)
superbike and supersport wheels
supersport motor
supersport carbs

Unique parts

instruments
tank
frame
seat
controls

If the new bike is a similar parts bin then yes by definition it should have the same name. I do feel on looks I am with jackie treehorn on this as it looks like it would blend in . It used to be when i wasd at the race track in the pits you could spot a Ducati by the distinct looks much was due to the trellis, now the panigales (which are great bikes) just disappear into the mix of everything else. I do like the idea of the the superlight minimalist frame, too bad it just looks like another bracket holding things on. Maybe if they made it a different color or raw aluminum then it would make me happier or I would just say yuck paint that thing black it is ugly. I expect we will find out soon enough.

Alexc
Yes I am with you on the weight I cannot wait to get one to the local track to check wet weight, keep in mind the lighter they start the harder it is to lose weight so what will the Cat and muffler weigh when it gets swapped? I do think this should have good performance but it will need to be pretty special to get me off my 93 that is probably not far off from this one in weight but with 10-20% less power. The other bits to compare like ride comfort and light effectiveness will be determined at some point in the future.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Yes the OG monster was a parts bin but due to the small size of Ducati at the time this was necessary.

early monster

Superbike swingarm and rear suspension
Superbike forks (also shared with the supersport)
superbike and supersport wheels
supersport motor
supersport carbs

Unique parts

instruments
tank
frame
seat
controls

If the new bike is a similar parts bin then yes by definition it should have the same name. I do feel on looks I am with jackie treehorn on this as it looks like it would blend in . It used to be when i wasd at the race track in the pits you could spot a Ducati by the distinct looks much was due to the trellis, now the panigales (which are great bikes) just disappear into the mix of everything else. I do like the idea of the the superlight minimalist frame, too bad it just looks like another bracket holding things on. Maybe if they made it a different color or raw aluminum then it would make me happier or I would just say yuck paint that thing black it is ugly. I expect we will find out soon enough.

Alexc
Yes I am with you on the weight I cannot wait to get one to the local track to check wet weight, keep in mind the lighter they start the harder it is to lose weight so what will the Cat and muffler weigh when it gets swapped? I do think this should have good performance but it will need to be pretty special to get me off my 93 that is probably not far off from this one in weight but with 10-20% less power. The other bits to compare like ride comfort and light effectiveness will be determined at some point in the future.
You're right, but I think they had the frankenbike in the back of their mind. They even mentioned the panigale derived frame/intake which i think is fantastic. The tail even looks panigale inspired. That said, I hate that it wouldn't look like a ducati if you took the logos off and painted it green, so I agree with you on that.

I would do an extreme tail chop, switch to a lightweight dry slipper clutch, drop the evap cannister, drop the cat, maybe make custom 2-1 or 2-1-2 pipes with a lightweight "silencer", maybe take some weight off the flywheel, drop the exhaust flap, and remove every piece of plastic doesnt affect intake volume. With the low weight, you could even drop a front rotor/caliper which would add up to about 5-6 lbs. Lightweight camshaft pulleys too. And thats not even with opening the cases for a lightened crank.

I would also remove any sensors I dont plan on using, like the 02 sensor, dash oil temp sensor, etc, but idk if you can do that on the newer bikes.

It doesnt have to be said that wheels and rotors are obviously the first choice, but I can see all that dropping a good amount of weight. You could probably even cut out some bulk from the wiring harness and if you can fabricate carbon fiber parts, that would save another 2-3 pounds.

I have developed an obsession with dropping weight, especially since I can't drop much more weight off of my body while in riding shape.

Overall, the monster can be improved on to make it more "ducati", but I like it a lot more than the 1100evo, 797, 821, and 1200, not only because of the half assed trellis frame, but because the design kept ketting more and more complicated. They would never have fabricated exhaust headers like that in 93, but as you mentioned, thats because they were a small company with low overhead threshold.

I think its a step in the right direction and I know not many people will agree, but I'm excited to see what they do with this platform in the future. Also super excited to see what owners who have caught the modification bug will do.

off topic, but @ducvet , have you seen my other (admittedly extremely disorganized) thread about injectors and throttle body setup? If so, would you mind pointing me to any resources you may have that could point me in the right direction, i would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
like the single guys wailed when they started making twins, like the bevel guys wailed when they put belts on them, like everyone wailed when cagiva bought it, like the air cooled guys wailed when they went watercooled and 4v, like the 916 lovers wailed when the 999 came out, like the ss guys wailed when the ssie came out, like the ss guys wailed when the ss name was revived, like they wailed when they made an adventure bike, like they wailed when they made a cruiser.

meh.

·
Registered
2007 Monster S2R1000
18 Posts
Objectively, it looks to be a great bike in the 'naked' category, and will probably be the best of the bunch. But, as mentioned previously, change the badge and it's hard to differentiate from the competition.

Subjectively, the Monster was originally and has remained unique, styling wise, and it was always a trend-setter. We all have our favourite model and opinion on what is a true Monster. For me, it started to go downhill once they used an aluminium subframe on the 1100 EVO. I use to ride an S4R as my demo bike when I sold them waaaay back in 03/04, the liquid cooled engine with all the clutter of its plumbing on show was almost a step too far for me. When the S2R was released, it instantly became my ultimate Monster, with just enough flamboyance in its single sided swingarm and fancy wheels, while retaining the simplicity of the 2-valve air-cooled engine and original Monster shape.

In my mind, the new Monster has joined the pack, whereas it use to lead the pack.

·
Registered
506 Posts
like the single guys wailed when they started making twins, like the bevel guys wailed when they put belts on them, like everyone wailed when cagiva bought it, like the air cooled guys wailed when they went watercooled and 4v, like the 916 lovers wailed when the 999 came out, like the ss guys wailed when the ssie came out, like the ss guys wailed when the ss name was revived, like they wailed when they made an adventure bike, like they wailed when they made a cruiser.

meh.
Did you type all that out or use ctrl-v a lot? 😉

I think it’s what they call in the industry “progression” but I’m just starting to get my feet wet compared to all of you who were riding when the bevel came out, so my terminology is a bit weak😜

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
i generally find i can type it out faster than i can control v and edit. there'd be lots of editing there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I said it before and I'll say it again:
I understand the the design and the market segment Ducati is targeting but to call this a monster is akin to heresy. In the mid 2000’s Ducati made a true Monster, it was called the S4RS. The closest they have come since is the 1200r.
Ducati, your cooking with the wrong recipe.

But then again, I'm biased....

·
Registered
2007 Monster S2R1000
18 Posts
1 - 20 of 53 Posts