Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

My bike has around 12k miles. The (dry) clutch is squealing under load and I think the pack needs replacing. Anyone recommend a good non-oem option please? I see a new OEM "clutch plate set" is $320 :eek:

My bike is an 06. The basket fingers are also a little dented. When does this need replacing? Any suggestions on an alternative?

Appreciated.
Jeremy

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Would probably respond to a good clean.
Disassemble it and lay everything out in order, clean each plate individually after wiping out the basket and case and reassemble, the squeal is usually caused by a build up of dust. Dented fingers are normal, wear in the basket is normal as well, to a point obviously, but neither will stop the clutch operating properly, it will just get louder.

Do you run an open cover? they're a good idea, they allow the dust to be cleared away and keep it cooler, you can add a sexy anodised clutch plate, stainless steel springs and anodised spring caps as well to make it look way better (betting you have these already)
Some say the rain is an issue but not in my experience, the only issue i've ever had is aftermarket plates sticking together after a wash, never happens with genuine ones though.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Ducati considers both the plates and clutch basket to be wear items. By the time you need to replace the worn-out clutch plates the basket has been notched from the impact loads of the plates. Ducati specifies the allowable gap between the plates and basket as a quite small 0.6 mm, effectively saying to replace the basket and plates together.

Also, check the pressure plate throwout bearing and pushrod for smooth rotation.

Font Parallel Rectangle Drawing Cylinder

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Guys

My bike has around 12k miles. The (dry) clutch is squealing under load and I think the pack needs replacing. Anyone recommend a good non-oem option please? I see a new OEM "clutch plate set" is $320 :eek:

My bike is an 06. The basket fingers are also a little dented. When does this need replacing? Any suggestions on an alternative?

Appreciated.
Jeremy
Jeremy,

I wrote a bit here but wanted to give you a full answer from what I've experienced.

What you can try first is to blast some compressed air into the clutch pack while squeezing the clutch lever at the highest lever setting. You can even do this with the engine running, speeding up the process. I did this for a friend's Multistrada 1000DS with a slipping, squealing clutch, who's previous owner rode with the OEM cover. Several minutes of blasting the clutch plates nearly solved the slip/squeal. I suggested he clean the plates in a soap and water bath, which eliminated the problem. He now rides with an open EVR cover and couldn't be happier. Maybe give your clutch plates a bath if the compressed air trick doesn't work for you?

If you need a replacement clutch pack, the Ducati OEM plates, made by a company called Adige, can be purchased under the Adige brand over eBay for a fairer price. Part number for yours is DU-107. I've done this for several Duca models I own and they've done well. My S4R with the open cover runs new Adige plates from 2018 and only this summer the plates needed a blast of compressed air to clear out the clutch dust. How quickly the plates accumulate dust depends on how much city riding you do, where you are repeatedly using partial clutch at low speeds. I rode the S4R as a commuter and short rides in the suburbs which involved a lot of partial clutch use.

Also, how dented are the clutch basket fingers? Are they wavy or looking like sprocket teeth? If you want to replace the clutch basket, brands like EVR and Ducabike offer an entire clutch system replacement kit. MotoWheels is a good source for either brand.

Hopefully you got some useful info out of my babble. Thanks for reading!

-Roger

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys

I do run with an open cover. I have taken the pack out a few times and the steel plates are a little pitted/rusty despite not riding. Must be the odd washing perhaps :-/

I'll try cleaning again as you suggest.

Appreciate the advice.

Jeremy

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
I only use the EVR 48t plates and basket. Organic on my street bikes and sintered with a slipper clutch on the track bikes. The noise is not as "broken" sounding. The organic plates are aluminum core so they are a good match to the hard anodized aluminum basket. IMO

1 - 6 of 6 Posts