Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

Registered
Poor design on Ducatis part. They should make the engineer who designed that ride laps for an hour in shorts.馃サ

Registered
2020 V4S
Discussion Starter #22
LOL yea i kinda got that by the fact that it...didnt work. Yea a degree in chemistry and engineering would help me about now. Trial and error! Tools of fools.

Registered
2020 V4S
Discussion Starter #23
Im surprised im not angry at Ducati. I just love the bike so much im in a stupid haze of affection. It really is the best thing on two wheels, and the heat issue is like learning how to tame a great beast which i guess makes it charming. LOL That sounds hilarious but pretty apt.

Registered
Are you getting toasted on your inner right thigh? See if you can find some lining material called Teknofiibra (TEKNOFIBRA - welcome) and get it between the exhaust and your leg. I don't know if the standard heat shield on those rear exhaust headers would have enough of a gap for ~3mm of teknofibra so you might need find some shield with a bigger gap. Anyway, that teknofibra stuff is amazing.

Premium Member
Dumb question... you have the stock bike or the Akro?

The stock exhaust has a LOT of heat shielding that the Akro lacks - it made me wonder if (as pretty as it is), the Akro might be a very bad idea for the street.

Registered
2020 V4S
Discussion Starter #27
All great points and thanks for bringing that up. But no its pure stock.

Premium Member
Next questions:
Are you getting cooked at low speed or even on the highway... the V4's are supposed to have 'rear cylinder deactivation' for city riding.
Are you in a mode that turns off rear cylinder deactivation? (not sure if sport or race modes turn it off...)

Something seems odd because several reviewers seemed the think the 20's were a bit better at heat management (though I don't trust most reviewers because they're very often basically 'paid sponsors' so their statements may be pure BS).

Registered
2020 V4S
Discussion Starter #29
You hit the nail on the head bro. I test rode the 18 and 19 and both only cooked me at stops. I read up on the changes for 2020 which some were heat related like the fairings and cylinder deactivation so with out test riding it i said to my sales guy, "I want the 2020" for those reasons. Imagine my surprise that its not better but worse for heat. And yea it fries me on the fly at high speeds. Its actually worse on the fly. About 10-15 min in the ride you feel the fireball build in your legs at 120mph, thinking you might escape the heat with more rapid velocities 130-140-150-160! The fireball too builds in heat and ferocity letting you know all that power thrown to the road is just belching out heat, and right on your precious legs. Slower traffic speeds seems to keep the severe heat at bay but its still hot. Here is the thing. That high speed ride i just mentioned results in the frame just glowing red w/ heat so when you clamp down for a turn or stop its like straddling an exhaust pipe. Ive literally come home from a fast ride and been jumping on the bike just waiting to get off because its so painful. Im taking it next week for its break in check up. Hopefully i didnt beat the shit out of it to much. He took it well, and spit back some fire at me.

Registered
2020 V4S
Discussion Starter #31
It might be just me have a tech scheduled to check it out. Id say im crazy but i've owned... 18 Aprilia RSV4 RF, a 17 CBR1000, 17 Triumph Daytona 675R, 17 KTM Rc390 Race Cup, Yamaha R3, CBR600, CBR500, damn thats a lot with track days sprinkled in for three of those bikes. My point is id like to think i know whats hot and whats not, whats normal... and hot damn this is none of that. But i did test ride an 18 and 19 and they both burned me at stops so i was prepared for some heat, but this is on a different level. If its real and im not crazy and this is to the V4 id venture to say other owners have this issue but choose not to voice it due to that damaging the large amount of emotion and money put into a decision that means a lot to them so they choose not to tarnish that by keeping quiet. I get it. Id rather help out w/ a fix being helpful, and if it is me then i guess im fragile and weak skinned. So be it.

Come in Spinner :)
Get the tech to ride it in shorts.

Reactions: DaveK

Premium Member
Something sketchy for sure... how is power on the bike, could the rear cylinder... ummm... ONE of the rear cylinders (that's going to take some getting used to) be dumping fuel to burn in the pipes? I'd think if this was a common issue we'd have MANY folks talking about it. I don't even hear Akra piped bike owners complaining about heat (other than the usual).

Watch this vid:
... does this seem a lot different from your opinions. He's measuring temps... and most of them are very high but he seems to think it's not a huge issue if he's moving...this sounds pretty typical of Ducati's, but a lot better than what you're describing.

Registered
On that video he says it was 70 its been in the mid 90's to low 100's for
the last 3 weeks in NorCal. I don't think I would want to be on a V4 Pani
in these Temps.

Registered
my panigale put out a ton of heat, and was awful in traffic, I'm thinking the SF version would be really tough
I got the delivery of the SF a few days ago. It is not ridable without thick pants due to the heat. Quite tough to ride in this weather.

Registered
2020 V4S
Discussion Starter #38
Ok so that material i bought to have sewn into my moto jeans came back. Did a dry ride w/ them and it helps. Its not 100% Id say a 40-50% help. I then did a wet ride w/ work out tights under the moto jeans and thats 90% there. I can do a normal ride now w/ that, it seems the work out tights plus the adjusted jeans do the trick. Even when they dry down its still fine. Still hot but nothing that can be brushed off.

I bought a mister that ties into my hydro pack so i can drink and be misted on the go. Its night and day. Guys if you ride in hot weather and already have and use a hydro pack buy this. Its like having a real A/C vent thrown on you. Plus you get this neat cloud of vapor around you at stops which draws attention. LOL. Amazon.com : EXTREMEMIST Personal Cooling System (PCS) fits Most Hydration Packs, Includes Rechargeable Battery (Retrofit Kit) : Sports & Outdoors

Update on the bike: My right side mirror broke off. Not sure how but when i came home and reached for the gate i touched the mirror causing it to shimmy causing me to notice it for the first time. Took it to the dealer and they almost wanted to charge me for it. One of the screw mounts broke and they are covering it. I took it in for a missing screw to the lower right fairing that was causing the fairing to rub up against the rear brake. They DID charge me 5 bucks for that! Im like i just bought this thing and you guys are fucking me over a bolt. So now i have to go over the bike ever now and then to make sure nothing gets loose and falls off. God damn what a mess. Ahhh thank god it makes up in other ways or id throw it out on the street. LOL Seriously its an abusive spouse that you just cant stop loving and is the absolute best in bed so...ugh. Ducati.

Registered
Thanks for the heads up. Still a valid question for anyone who has a fix.
Dont ride in traffic. Seriously, if you bought the bike to ride in traffic in 107 degree heat then you bought the wrong bike. The bike is trying to save itself from melting and the only thing it can do is push that heat out of the vents.Some fuel mapping might get you a 10 degree difference but its not going to matter.

My 848 does OK but my MV will start to overheat even cruising at 35mph. The aero is about top speed, not about sitting still in an oven.

Registered
2020 V4S
Discussion Starter #40
The bike is fine. Its always running in a good operational temp and ive never had any issues. Its a rider issue and TA DA i fixed it. I can ride around no problem for me or the bike now. Just need to be creative. Oh and I do use this machine to do almost everything, just shy of grocery shopping. I do have a car... a 2005 Buick Park Ave Ultra. LOL thats funny i know but i get to be lazy and cruise while in the car and manic fast on the bike. How i like it. And really if you bought this just to be a garage queen thats a sad day. Ride it! Ride it hard.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts