Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2020 V4S
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 2020 V4S and the heat is outrageous!!! It literally burned both my legs, my calves and my inner thighs are burned from a 20 min ride home from the dealer. Ughhhh. Way hotter than the 18 and 19 which i also test rode but only burned me at stops. This fucker burns me on the fly. I suspect its due to the new fairings for 2020. That said the bike is like a damn Buick in street mode. Sooooooo comfy minus the cremation going on. I bought some heat resistant fabric for my mum to sew into my rider jeans. Hopefully that solves the burning cause its that bad. I got home and put on burn cream. My legs were as red as the damn bike itself! All that said its so bad ass, I absolutely love it. Ive named him Fireball.

Anyone else running into this issue or is it just me? If so what have you done to mitigate?

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
my panigale put out a ton of heat, and was awful in traffic, I'm thinking the SF version would be really tough

·
Registered
2020 V4S
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea i absolutely need to figure this out. Its un ridable after a certain amount of time. Granted its 107 out here in Phoenix at the moment. Im sure it will turn into a feature for the fall/winter/spring. But holly shit i HAVE to fix this...

·
Registered
2020 V4S
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its funny cause i used to take my Daytona to the gym while wearing my gym clothes (shorts). HA!!! If did that on this bike id turn to ash by the time i got to the gym. Or at the very least show up with BRIGHT red legs with blisters on them.

·
Registered
2020 V4S
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont have leather pants...I do wear Dainese moto jeans infused w/ kevlar. I cant wear a leather jacket in this temp id die, so pants... eh i dunno. I havent tried riding with my track suit on yet. That might solve the issue but who wants to suit up for every little ride every damn day? Thats a big commitment and that suit would kill me too in this heat. Being in AZ i switch to Dainese tex air jacket, then i hose myself down prior to riding so i hop on soaking wet. By the time i get anywhere im dry. Repeat. It actually makes for a fantastic ride even in 100+ as long as your keeping your trip under 30 min then it drys out and you have to do it again. Ive actually stopped and run through sprinklers. Its that or be in hell. Seriously the heat here is like being in a blast furnace.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Ive actually stopped and run through sprinklers.
LOL. I guess that helps for a bit.
I will wear the JR mesh gear, the Monster is hot, but not that hot. I just keep my right thigh off the pipe.
"Only" 104 here today. Tomorrow I will get out or try to at the crack of dawn and plan to be home by 10 AM.
'That's my thought for summer heat. Thank God for AC.

·
Registered
2020 V4S
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea I just woke up early and rode a 30 min ride in 93 degree temps. I still got burned even with wet kevlar Dainese jeans calfs and inner thighs both legs. Its like those new fairings direct engine heat directly to your legs in a most efficient manor.

Ill keep this updated on how the heat resistant fabric i get to sew into the legs of those jeans do. fingers crossed Oh i should say ALL that hell aside the ride was mind bending. That machine is like gods gift to humanity. I shall pray to it. I mean it literally makes me gitty about being burned...what else would ever do that?

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Heat resistance has nothing to do with insulating ability, as you’ve found out. Just because something doesnt burn or melt doesn’t mean it will stop heat transfer.

·
Registered
2020 V4S
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well yea thats true, im no engineer so im not familiar with the details of the scientific specifics of whats required and needed for this application. My thread is to illustrate my problem and hope for a solution from YOU GUYS or to try and figure it out for myself. I know race car drivers, and firefighters wear clothes to keep them from getting burned in fires. THAT i know. What material, where, and how much is needed for what heat im getting. I DO NOT KNOW THIS. So if anyone does. Help a guy out and let me know. Do i need some asbestos jumpers? And yea i might be getting hot air coming up from the bottoms of my pant legs which if i put any material up in there wont help ill need to block the flow of hot air. If its just radiant heat build up the heat fabric if its the right kind should work, but yea your right some fabrics are just heat resistant, some are heat blocking, some reflect, the fact is i dont know, but i do know what you speak of. Do you know whats needed here?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Maybe look and see what kind of gear fire fighters wear. Especially the wildfire fighters.
What does the dealer say?

·
Registered
2020 V4S
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the heads up. Still a valid question for anyone who has a fix.

·
Registered
2020 V4S
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just tried them and they made the problem worse allowing the heat to travel further with more acute burn pain. Let me know how they work for you working on returning them now. I have a fix created by my mom being sewn on Monday. Hopefully that works.

·
Registered
2020 V4S
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was going to say normal work out tights, the same ones i wear to the gym under my moto jeans seem to work ok, but it still gets hot its just that i can last another 10 min or so before getting irreparably burned.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Nomex is great in that it won't burn but it won't deflect the heat...give tinfoil a try...if you feel any relief your next shot should be pizza box insulation... Joann use to carry such a material...but what your really looking for is reflectivity ...not absorption

·
Registered
2020 V4S
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You are correct. The material im having sewn into my riding jeans is heat reflective. I tested it with an iron and it does provide a great deal of heat reflection, so im hoping thats a fix.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Also would like to point out that the nomex underwear is not a fire barrier...it's designed so it won't melt to your skin when your in a fire...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts