Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Bon Vivant
10,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it looks like no V4 Multistrada, No 1200 version of the SS. There's a new V2 Pani that is more street oriented and of course the big news is the New 208HP V4 Streetfighter that is $25K US for the S version with no accessories. I wish the death of Carlin Dune didnt color the SF so much but for me it is a factor and I'm not sure I can live with that legacy.

I've been waiting for this news because I would like to replace my aging Multi with a new V4 version but that isnt happening, at least not this year, and I really like the SS but would prefer a 1200 version. The new SF is interesting and very expensive. I will check it out but I'm not going to run down to the local dealer and throw money at them. I have to do some soul searching on that one. Honestly I like the new Brutale 1000 better but at over $30K I'm not sure my passion for the MV is that strong. The big difference these days is the fact that my Tuono feels more and more over the top for my riding style lately and as I get older I feel myself become less interested in over the top power and more interested in bikes that are a lot of fun to ride.

How do you guys feel about the new line up?

·
Registered
350 Posts
The new SF reminded me somewhat of the way the Britten was configured, with everything hanging off the engine. And the power and good looks are equally amazing. Color me "old", which I am, but the days of me riding stupidly high HP bikes are over. That, combined with the initial cost, the cost to service and the bikes undoubtedly being smothered with electro gimmickry, puts them low on the list for me to own. I hope Ducati is successful with their new line but they, along with a number of other mfgrs, don't really have an entry level bike to get a new guy into the Ducati fold and the mkt is currently horrible for motorcycling in general and for high performance bikes in particular. With $1.6 trillion in college loan debt owed by people in motorcycling's sweet spot demographic, who is going to buy these things?

·
Bon Vivant
10,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The new SF reminded me somewhat of the way the Britten was configured, with everything hanging off the engine. And the power and good looks are equally amazing. Color me "old", which I am, but the days of me riding stupidly high HP bikes are over. That, combined with the initial cost, the cost to service and the bikes undoubtedly being smothered with electro gimmickry, puts them low on the list for me to own. I hope Ducati is successful with their new line but they, along with a number of other mfgrs, don't really have an entry level bike to get a new guy into the Ducati fold and the mkt is currently horrible for motorcycling in general and for high performance bikes in particular. With $1.6 trillion in college loan debt owed by people in motorcycling's sweet spot demographic, who is going to buy these things?
I really dont think a $25000 streetfighter is meant for people just out of collage with a big loan debt... it is a bike best suited for serious advanced and expert riders with some years of experience, I would guess that many of those riders are a little older and in a position to pay for such a bike. However, I have to disagree with you, I think Ducati is doing a fine job of building a few bikes for younger and less experienced riders, bikes like the Scramblers, smaller Monsters, and the SS are very capable fun bikes that are much more affordable and much more amenable for newer riders. And now it looks like they've added an entry level superbike for those with some experience and a little less budget. As we get older and slow a little, as I seem to be doing, some of these bikes are quite a lot of fun. I would love to own a supersport but I'm stuck in a mental battle between the ego and the sensible and so far the ego is winning.

·
Registered
559 Posts
How do you guys feel about the new line up?
I think that KTM is lets just say, picking up some slack here in the European market. Have had many Ducs, but thinking next ride might be Austrian?

·
Registered
48 Posts
The waiting game is hard.

I too want a V4 Multi.

I think Ducati is doing a fine job of creating a varied offering for all markets. My only gripe is that some of their lower cost bikes haven't really been updated. More and more bikes in the lower price brackets are starting to come with TFT screens and more advanced safety features. I think that Ducati is lagging behind, barely, in this arena.

Im sure in 2020 we will see the more affordable bikes getting some cool updates. Technology trickles downhill.

·
Bon Vivant
10,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The waiting game is hard.

I too want a V4 Multi.

I think Ducati is doing a fine job of creating a varied offering for all markets. My only gripe is that some of their lower cost bikes haven't really been updated. More and more bikes in the lower price brackets are starting to come with TFT screens and more advanced safety features. I think that Ducati is lagging behind, barely, in this arena.

Im sure in 2020 we will see the more affordable bikes getting some cool updates. Technology trickles downhill.
I've spent the majority of my life riding bikes without TFT screens and electronic nannies, and I usually turn the nannies off anyway. So those things aren't important to me. But perhaps the millennial newbys are convinced that it's suicide to ride without a nanny? I personally dont see a problem with entry level bikes being a little more pure, especially when power output is at a level that isn't prone to getting you in trouble anyway.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
M
I personally don't see a problem with entry level bikes being a little more pure, especially when power output is at a level that isn't prone to getting you in trouble anyway.
Me too.

I like being able to roll the throttle full on as I exit a corner and not spin the rear tire out from under me. ;)

Couldn't always say that about the TL1000S I bought in '97. That thing NEEDED traction control. :eek:

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,070 Posts
I’d like to see Ducati follow Aprilia’s lead here. Take their V4 Superbike and cut off the two rear cylinders making an awesome parallel twin. The Goldilocks of sport bikes. Not too big, not too small. Just right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
... More and more bikes in the lower price brackets are starting to come with TFT screens and more advanced safety features.
What's a TFT screen?

Technology trickles downhill....
So does shit.

And by the way ... what is "annoluncements"
... is that another new word invented by the City of Berkley?

kidding, of course ...

·
Bon Vivant
10,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’d like to see Ducati follow Aprilia’s lead here. Take their V4 Superbike and cut off the two rear cylinders making an awesome parallel twin. The Goldilocks of sport bikes. Not too big, not too small. Just right.

I'm not sure that Ducati could or should do this but I think Aprilia hit that one out of the park. Love this new midsize and love the new bodywork. Way to go Aprilia!

·
Registered
1,723 Posts

Wouldn't that make it a "Supersport" of sorts? Like roughly a 600? It seems as though the Jap manufacturers are backing out of 600 Supersport production, I think Honda stopped making the CBR600 completely. I also recently read an article (from 2016) that posed the question of some sort of ~naked~ class replacing the 600s in WSB and possibly MGP.

So I'm not sure if introducing another 600cc Sport model (aka "midsized") would be wise. Everything I've read says the sales of that sized bike are nearly dead.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,070 Posts
I think what makes this new Ape special isn’t the displacement class. It’s the engine configuration. I have no desire for 600 4 or 3 that needs 10k on the clock just to let the clutch out.

Just go ride a little Ninja 400 if you want to see how much torque, with a very wide power spread, a small parallel twin can produce. A 660cc version would, or could, be incredible.

·
Bon Vivant
10,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think what makes this new Ape special isn’t the displacement class. It’s the engine configuration. I have no desire for 600 4 or 3 that needs 10k on the clock just to let the clutch out.

Just go ride a little Ninja 400 if you want to see how much torque, with a very wide power spread, a small parallel twin can produce. A 660cc version would, or could, be incredible.

Never been a big fan of parallel twins but I'd love to give this bike a try and see how it works. The V4 1100 in my Tuono loves RPM and this engine is half of that, I'm guessing that this particular twin is gonna be no diferent. but I dont think it gonna be 130HP at 14,000 rpm like many of the modern midsize 4 cyl bikes.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The mid-sized 650cc twin is where the Lightweight class lives in real roads racing. For years it was dominated by the Kawi ER6 (Ninja 650/R to the US) but lately the British company, Paton, has come on the scene to steal the show, or at least get some serious limelight.

The 650 street-based twins have a strong following in Europe and are considered large capacity bikes in much of the rest of the world where a 50cc moped is your daily, and for most, their only.

Of note, these bikes can also be regulated/detuned to various licensing standards in Europe for young and inexperienced riders. As they accrue experience and higher licensing the bikes capabilities can be “unlocked” as-it-were.

2004 Ducati ST4s ABS “Senna”
2002 Yamaha FZ1

·
Premium Member
866 Posts

Been saying that for years now, yes, I think Ducati missed the train, can't see how a 660 parallel can be more fun than a 770 v-twin.

I think (hope) that we will see a trend more towards midsize bikes in the years to come.

·
Smut peddler
833 Posts
The street fighter may be the bees knees as far as performance, but I think it's fugly (I thought the old one was ugly also, so there's that). Guess I'll have to see it in person. I think the scrambler is kind of the new soul of Ducati. A simple, affordable bike, that has all kinds of directions for each individual to go with. I rode one, and was fun. Kinda makes me laugh that the new "baby pani" is a 959, how times have changed. But it's a solid bike, track guys seem to love it, so the updates should only help. I wish Ducati would reinvent the sport classic lineup. To date, I think that model and the monster are the best all around Ducs to date. But I know it won't ever happen. Sigh

·
Bon Vivant
10,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I like the concept of the sport classics and the scrambler, but in real life use both bikes fall short for me. The Monster and the new SuperSport are better for me in actual use and even though they don't have the "Image" of the scrambler or the SC I'd have a lot more fun riding them. It always seems to come down to that, Image or performance, and for most guys and gals image wins. Not for me, I'd like to have both but If I can only choose one I'll always go with the bike that works better.

·
Registered
482 Posts

With you here!!! I wish they'd go down on engine size in the sportbike range. A simple little "600"...a modern Supermono or RS250 size/feel of a bike.

Fuck it...build it off the scrambler chassis, air cool it.

But I get they are trying to compete in competition and.they needed a v4

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts