Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

I just purchased my 4th Ducati last fall, a 2020 Multistrada 1260s and it came with the stock tires. Where I live (Northern Ontario, Canada) we have numerous dirt roads that are more of a fire access gravel road type that I would like to ride.

My question is, has anyone upgraded the tires to a little more of an aggressive off-road enduro type of tire on their 1260s and if so, which ones? I love the crazy cornering ability of the bike on asphalt, but also love going off road.

Pros/cons?

Looking at the option of purchasing a used 1200 Enduro version as an alternative.
Thanks
Mike
2005 Ducati 749s
2010 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 EVO
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200s (ridden by my son)
2020 Ducati Multistrada 1260s

·
Registered
102 Posts
I would not get the TKC 80's unless it was for 60% off road and 40% on - Don't get me wrong they are awesome tires, I had them on my Tiger and on my GS which I took on pretty hard core jeep trails until I realized I was living in fear on the rock climbs with the big beasts. Picking up the bike ain't so great either on my 59 year old back.

I much prefer the TKC 70's which are for 30% off road and 70% on roughly. Especially for dirt roads.

IMHO The TKC 70's are better than the stock Scorpions for fire roads. My Ducati MTS is a 16 DVT and it does not go on anything but street and occasional fire roads. (graded dirt). I am not sure if either of the Conti's will even fit your 1260, easy enough to find out.

I have gone through two sets of the stock Scorpions and my next tires will be Pilot 5's - I believe they will be fine for the dirt roads I ride as connectors as long as I take kind of slow. But I have different bikes for different rides.

I hate the compromise on the street that the TKC 80's give, although I never felt unsafe on them even in downpours - although they are probably the best for 550 lb bike real off-roading if that is your thing. Oh yeah and they wear out REAL fast, especially the back.

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Multistrada 950, 2018 Desert Sled
37 Posts
TKC 80 are fine but hum a bit. You may want to try the Pirelli Scorpion Rally (non STR). the STR has good life (relative to TKC) and excellent asphalt characteristics (even in wet). I prefer the non STR for dedicated off road work like deep sand, heavy gravel, and baby heads. When I ride normal graded dirt roads that aren't full of limestone and gravel, the STR are excellent. There are some very good youtube videos on this subject. I think there is one by a group in California or Nevada the evaluated like every tire for dual sport/ adv.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Check out Dunlop Trailmax Missions. They're 50/50 tires and last a long time. I've got them on my 950 and have 4k miles so far with a ton of wear left. I'm very happy with their performance both on and off road.

·
Registered
53 Posts
How are they on the asphalt?
they were not bad, a bit noisy. didn't trust them at all when they were new but after a few hundreds of kms i could lean more and more but less aggressively than with a proper set of road tires.

Tested in the rain and icy condition as well, so far so good I'm still around to talk about it :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts