Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding Harley Davidson for years but traded in my bike in 16'. Now its time to get back in the saddle and make a change a big change. So I was looking for a commuter that was fun and comfortable. I put $ down on the new 2020 Grande tour it should be in this week. Any thoughts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a Yamaha 650 back in the day and I rod motocross for years so I can adapt. but to your question. no

·
Registered
47 Posts
Great bike you will love it. The riding position will be very different from a Harley and I would suspect the power and suspension will also be noticeable. Excellent choice ride safe and enjoy!!!

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have been riding Harley Davidson for years but traded in my bike in 16'. Now its time to get back in the saddle and make a change a big change. So I was looking for a commuter that was fun and comfortable. I put $ down on the new 2020 Grande tour it should be in this week. Any thoughts
These were my exact requirements when looking for a new bike. I have zero regrets with my 2016 Multistrada 1200S. I wish I could ride it every single day (Alaska problems). In Sport mode, I’ve never ridden anything so comfortable and fast at the same time. Incredible handling for a tall and not so light bike.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I had a Yamaha 650 back in the day and I rod motocross for years so I can adapt. but to your question. no
You should be in for quite a treat then. It will feel like a high tech spaceship of a bike compared to the Harley.
The grand tour even comes standard with the hands free gas cap.

·
Registered
106 Posts
What Harley did you last have? I was a long time HD ride and sold my 15 CVO RoadGlide and got an 18 Multi. Power and weight is no contest, Multi is 400lbs lighter and twice the hp. I grabbed a handful of throttle with the wife on back, just like I would on the HD, to pass a car while in 3rd gear and 100mph flew past in the blink of an eye :eek:

Seating position was no big deal to get used to, other than no where to stretch my legs out front, but the seat itself leaves a bit to be desired. I keep sliding forward against the tank and it gets uncomfortable. I haven't swapped it out yet, figured I'd tough it out for a few thousand miles and see if it breaks in.

The ride quality with the active suspension is light years beyond the HD. My wife was concerned while looking at it but one ride and she was amazed at the smoothness over bumps the on the HD would have elicited sever complaining from the back seat. Her only issue is she can't duck her head around and look forward because the wind is too much and pushes her head back. That RG blocked a lot of wind. That said, it's still rock solid passing or being passed by semis.

·
Registered
253 Posts
What Harley did you last have? I was a long time HD ride and sold my 15 CVO RoadGlide and got an 18 Multi. Power and weight is no contest, Multi is 400lbs lighter and twice the hp. I grabbed a handful of throttle with the wife on back, just like I would on the HD, to pass a car while in 3rd gear and 100mph flew past in the blink of an eye :eek:

Seating position was no big deal to get used to, other than no where to stretch my legs out front, but the seat itself leaves a bit to be desired. I keep sliding forward against the tank and it gets uncomfortable. I haven't swapped it out yet, figured I'd tough it out for a few thousand miles and see if it breaks in.

The ride quality with the active suspension is light years beyond the HD. My wife was concerned while looking at it but one ride and she was amazed at the smoothness over bumps the on the HD would have elicited sever complaining from the back seat. Her only issue is she can't duck her head around and look forward because the wind is too much and pushes her head back. That RG blocked a lot of wind. That said, it's still rock solid passing or being passed by semis.
I had serious complaints about the seat on my 2015 (bought used).

I started investigating and found that I was missing 2 parts to the seat (previous owner took them off). I ordered the parts, put them on and now have no complaints at all.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
I rode Harleys for nearly 20 years, I love 'em. The Multi is not as comfortable long distance as a Harley (all of mine were like sitting in your favorite recliner - same position and cushioning). However, I'll only ever own another HD as a second bike, because the power, handling, and suspension is simply amazing on the Duc. The HD was better for getting to the good places, but the Duc is a million times better once you get there, I think you'll love it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I had the 2000' ultra Classic and a 2001' Lowrider

·
Registered
49 Posts
I grew up racing motocross, then raced streetbikes and was on mainly GSXR's the past 10yrs. Also had a 15 Victory Magnum and put ~25,000kms on a 15 Street Glide. I sold the race bike to get back into motocross and also sold the GSXR 1000 streetbike and that left just the Magnum in the garage. After a couple years (and mainly a 10 day, 10 state trip, including TN, NC, Virginia, etc) I really missed having something a bit more sporty.
And knowing I was getting married this year with kids likely to follow soon after I figured I wouldn't be touring nearly as much and would need a bike that was more fun for things like commuting and quick afternoon rides. I sold the Magnum and picked up a 16 Multi Touring and added a topbox for the Mrs (she insists on having the backrest). I couldn't be happier and she's still comfortable on the back.
This was my first year with it and my only two gripes were uncomfortable seat (I had a shop add padding to the oem one), and some wind buffeting (solved by adding a shorter screen).
I would have loved to keep the Magnum as a second ride (I ride with 6 Street Glides so I got the Magnum to be different) but if it's got to be one bike in the garage (well plus a new dirtbike, an ATV, and two sleds) then the Multi puts a much bigger smile on my face.
Your GT already has the comfortable seat so that shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had serious complaints about the seat on my 2015 (bought used).

I started investigating and found that I was missing 2 parts to the seat (previous owner took them off). I ordered the parts, put them on and now have no complaints at all.
I have all the correct parts and have tried it in the low and high position. My complaint is I slide forward and crush the jewels against the tank and I get butt burn. I'm used to getting on the Harley and knocking out 200 miles and feeling fine, after 100 miles on the Multi my backside is on fire. I've slacked off riding lately and have less than 3000 miles on her so I was hoping it would break in a bit and get better. I guess I need to look into a replacement.

The seat is my only complaint and I'm sure I can find a solution for that. Overall I too am very happy with the switch

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have all the correct parts and have tried it in the low and high position. My complaint is I slide forward and crush the jewels against the tank and I get butt burn. I'm used to getting on the Harley and knocking out 200 miles and feeling fine, after 100 miles on the Multi my backside is on fire. I've slacked off riding lately and have less than 3000 miles on her so I was hoping it would break in a bit and get better. I guess I need to look into a replacement.

The seat is my only complaint and I'm sure I can find a solution for that. Overall I too am very happy with the switch
Is there any chance you could take a pic of the bottom of your seat, and a pic of the seating area of the bike with the seat off?

I only say that because I experienced everything you have, but it all completely went away after I got the other parts. I was thinking of a way to make something that would bring the front of the seat up a bit, and started looking at the parts diagrams online. That's the only way I discovered what I was missing.

·
Registered
93 Posts

I found a pretty decent fix for the seat on this forum. They recommended installing ONLY the front piece of the seat lift kit. That does make the seat look likes its improperly mounted, but it makes a welcome difference in seat angle and nad crushing.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Order a Sargent seat, you wont regret it.
This right here. They need the pan, so plan on sourcing another seat if you need to ride the bike during the build.

I bought one for this purpose so you are welcome to borrow it while yours is rebuilt. The Sargent (my third one across bikes) is sublime. Prostate channel. Enough said.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I found a pretty decent fix for the seat on this forum. They recommended installing ONLY the front piece of the seat lift kit. That does make the seat look likes its improperly mounted, but it makes a welcome difference in seat angle and nad crushing.
I'll try this, you're not the first person to suggest it. Cheap fix if it works

1 - 20 of 33 Posts