Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

2019 Pikes Peak w/ Leo Vince link pipe

11K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  drmdtsap 
#1 ·
Haven’t seen many posts regarding Leo Vince’s new link pipe for the 1260...so figured I would create one if others are considering.

I was on a business trip this week in Miami and stopped by to Ducati Pompano Beach to kill some time before my flight. Great bunch of guys (thank you Ian) there and ended up ordering the pipe from them(along with some other Ducati swag). The pipe arrives tomorrow (11/22) and I plan on installing this weekend. Will follow up with some pics and write up.

My intent overall intent on the link pipe purchase is primarily around losing some weight on the bike (I already swapped in a lithium battery)..although not against waking the bike up a little in parallel. I have no illusions of picking up a gobs of HP or torque. The bike is already near perfect, which includes already going up +2 on the rear sprocket (which in my view should be stock gearing). I do NOT plan on reflashing the ecu, and believe (after 4 Multistrada’s) the stock ecu tune will accommodate just fine. I realize maybe not absolutely optimal... but still good. If others have hard data which says otherwise(eg runs super lean)...I am all ears. Also, I just stopped in my local Ducati dealership today and got the latest ”fuel mapping” software update... for whatever that’s worth.

Will report back later this weekend. Happy Thanksgiving in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
Cool. Please follow-up perhaps with a sound test based on J2825. I for one has a PP also and would be interested in the results.

#3 ·
Let us know...

I purchased a 2018 PP this summer- traded my Panigale 959 for it.
Was initially interested in the Akrapovich link but a mechanic (not at Ducati dealer) advised to wait till the warranty is over (another 19 months) because apparently Ducati have been having issues with these new motors!? Not sure about this? I hate looking at the stock ugly cat.

#4 ·
Update - installed the Leo Vince link pipe last evening. Couple of highlights:
  • Overall quality and fitment of the pipe is high.
  • Although the installation is pretty self explanatory, Leo Vince gives you zero instructions. What they give you is a parts diagram...that’s it.
  • Pro Tip - although I tried to NOT have to loosen the front header pipe to remove the cat,...you need to. It’s only 3 simple nuts. Made installation of the pipe easier too.
  • Leo Vince give you a nice piece that goes on the end of the servo cable (and a screw on cover to make it look tidy) to tell the ECU all is well, and no check engine lights. I have only had the bike on twice for 5 min each time...but no check engine lights yet.
  • Sound - the thing definitely barks...which I am ok with. DB meter test says average of 92db at idle.
  • Feels nice to have that tank of a cat off there. Combining that and the lithium battery, I have now shaved about 16-17lbs off the bike. Can’t wait to get her out in the spring and see how she feels. I live in Ohio (US), so things are rather chilly now.

Auto part Brake Exhaust manifold Automotive exhaust Automotive engine part
Auto part Vehicle Tire Car Wheel
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Honda

#9 · (Edited)
Update - installed the Leo Vince link pipe last evening. Couple of highlights:
  • Sound - the thing definitely barks...which I am ok with. DB meter test says average of 92db at idle.
92db is actually much quieter than I expected.
Was that measured at 45 degrees at 20 inches?

#11 · (Edited)
I actually started a thread about decibel readings.
I've noticed that any slight deviation from the J2825 standard will yield a different result, sometimes substantial.

SAE J2825 Sound Test Procedure

Using the above, my stock 1260 Pikes Peak obtained the following reading with my Radio Shack Decibel Meter as shown:
87 db at idle
About 90db at 2000 rpm.

My de-cat Monster generated a 97db at idle and slightly over 100 at 2000 rpm which coincide with Mike's Multistrada (decat w/LV) reading here:
https://www.ducati.ms/threads/multistrada-after-market-exhaust-decibel-readings.726907/#post-7036871

Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Wheel Bicycle part

Also of importance for those using a decibel app on your phone:
These are not calibrated to a known sound level and are generally understated by more than 10db.
Decibel X was only off by 2db although the free app is full of annoying ads.

#12 ·
Hello, i must admit LeoVince are strange people. After your post I emailed them regarding this particular pipe and they said, that it is only for 2010-2012 Multistrada. Not compatible with newer. I have 2016 S version and was thinking for LV too, but... Any more pictures would appreciate. Thanks.

#13 ·
#17 ·
Looking for a muffler for 2014 Multistrada that is not $800+. Anyone have experience with such and where can they be acquired? I've seen ebay offerings and a few others like Mivv, Akro, Arrow. Choices seem to be limited and not too available(lots of backorder). So what are some of the better less expensive options? Will the slip-ons for stock mid-pipe/cat fit an aftermarket mid-pipe like the LeoVince and Danmoto?

#18 ·
About to go with a Spark system for 2016 DVT. They do a collector in Titanium and stainless. Supposedly the standard slip on bolts straight up, so can keep my Termi Carbon Slip on.
They also have a titanium or Carbon silencer if that's too noisy. Arrow system was other choice, but like the look / quality of Spark

#19 ·
About to go with a Spark system for 2016 DVT. They do a collector in Titanium and stainless. Supposedly the standard slip on bolts straight up, so can keep my Termi Carbon Slip on.
Good find. That's what @AleksK and several other members are looking for.

Reactions: AleksK
#21 ·
From all the info collected through many forums, a de-cat pipe with a stock silencer will produce near 100db's at idle and climbs significatly from there. As a point of reference, this level would fail any "official" race track sound compliance. Sound volume doubles with every 10db's.

#22 ·
I bought the MIVV Suono for my '14 PP and am very happy with the fit and finish. Here in the mile high city I ended up with approx 125 RWHP after a tune. That was with the db killer in. Tech said it would be 7-9 more with the db killer out.
I bought it at sportbikes4hire.com for under $700.

#24 ·
Update - Installed the Duc.ee Servo Eliminator plug (by Vizi-Tec) to eliminate the check engine light created with the exhaust servo no longer being present. Worked like a charm.

I was under the impression that the nice screw on cap/part that goes on the end of the servo cable (that Leo Vinci provides you with the link pipe), took care of ensuring no check engine light. However, after the check engine light came on....and after looking at Leo Vinci’s parts diagram a few times.... I see that this part is described as exhaust valve cable “protection”. So, I think it really just nicely covers up the end of the servo cable so that road grime does get in there(And doesn’t prevent the check engine light). Either way, the $40 Duc.ee was simple enough, and did the trick. If anyone with a 1260 is interested in a duc.ee, and not sure specifically where it installs (under the seat)... I am happy to provide pics.

Now the wait until spring. Happy New Year.

#25 ·
I was under the impression that the nice screw on cap/part that goes on the end of the servo cable (that Leo Vinci provides you with the link pipe), took care of ensuring no check engine light. However, after the check engine light came on....and after looking at Leo Vinci’s parts diagram a few times.... I see that this part is described as exhaust valve cable “protection”. So, I think it really just nicely covers up the end of the servo cable so that road grime does get in there(And doesn’t prevent the check engine light). Either way, the $40 Duc.ee was simple enough, and did the trick. If anyone with a 1260 is interested in a duc.ee, and not sure specifically where it installs (under the seat)... I am happy to provide pics.

Now the wait until spring. Happy New Year.
Their crimp-on attachment worked for me.

#27 · (Edited)
I have a 1200, maybe that's the difference... Mine didn't come with any sort of screw on item, it just came with a split pin/sleeve that you slid over the end of the exhaust servo cable (the steel braided cable, not the electrical cable) and crimp in place and that provides the proper spacing for the exhaust flap system self-test.

Before I put it on, I got a CEL. Thanks to people here I found out you can turn your bike on and off 3 times to clear the CEL. So I installed the spacer and did that, and since then it's been fine.

For what it's worth, I also bought a Duc.EE but haven't been ambitious enough to actually remove the exhaust servo motor from the bike since it appears to require taking most of the gubbins out from under the seat :p

edit for what it's worth, I thought the exhausts were the same for the 1200 DVT and 1260 bikes.
edit2 Lol and I'm a numpty, I forgot my cat delete is an Arrow, not Leo... that was on my R1 (blonde moment, forgive me!) Disregard all of my rambling...

Reactions: Rdaglock
#28 ·
LOL...too funny. I had a 2014 Pikes Peak, and did the Arrow decat on it. The Arrow came with a sleeve with a spring on it (to trick the ECU that the servo was still there)....and your right, that DID work and no CEL. Thanks for clarifying, I was thinking maybe I installed that LEO VINCE sleeve wrong. Cheer’s mate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.