Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Rear sprocket - can be out of round. Even a millimeter will cause uneven running and fool you into thinking your chain has a tight spot. You might even be fooled into replacing a chain with only 3K miles. Don't ask me how I know.

2. Suspension - learn your suspension basics and if possible compare bikes back to back. By going back and forth between my Ducati 900 Sport, Triumph TT600 and Suzuki SV1000S and applying basic theory I was able to improve the Suzuki's handling tremendously. Sag, compression and rebound damping make a difference. The last piece of the puzzle on my Suzuki was setting rebound to approximately 1/8th turn out. Radical but works. ZX10 shock on hand but no immediate need to install.

3. Baffles - Fine tuning of baffles on my 3 road bikes really paid off. By incrementally shortening, drilling holes and applying fiberglass wrap I've got a combination of sound and performance I can live with. By that I mean exhaust sound is robust at idle and low speeds, becomes roughly equal to wind noise at 40 - 45 and by 50 - 55 wind noise has taken over. Air flow into your glove at idle is quite good and so is performance. Those requirements were achieved on a Ducati 900 Sport, Triumph TT600 and Suzuki SV1000S.

4. OW40 oil - Startup cylinder noise on my air cooled Duc is greatly diminished with 0W40 compared to 15W50. The switch happened too late though because my rings are shot at 15K resulting in lots of blowby and oil in the airbox. Bottom line is you want 0 weight oil at startup since that's when 90% of wear occurs. PS, yes Ducati recommends 40 weight oil for most conditions. Not sure what the 50W dogma is all about but it cost me a set of rings.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
It's clear you have been on the bikes for many hours to get them sorted to your satisfaction - not many riders even try and you have some bikes with very different power delivery physics. But what you learn from one can help you isolate your riding style from tuning another. In time you can answer the question of cornering technique - "Is it me or the bike"? Congratulation on putting in the time, and on three dissimilar bikes.

A friend of mine feels his suspension isn't working until he feels the rear tire "hooking up". It took weeks of riding together for me to figure out what he meant by that, and as soon as I understood I knew why he was having so much trouble setting up his suspension well enough to hold a respectable line cornering without 3 mid corner corrections. Too often on forums people use words they have heard but actually don't know what they mean. In their defense, it is hard to put into writing what "seat of the pants feel" really is.

Oil viscosity and climate appropriate oil brands is a whole can of worms debated to death, it's easy to fall into superstition and voodoo because modern oils, metal coatings, chain vs gear valve trains, and fuel contaminants make it a black art anyway without a million dollar laboratory to inspect all the factors. Start up noise is actually not very high on the list for oil performance measurements, but yes some people want their bike to last forever without rebuilding. Nothing wrong with that. Some people whack the throttle to redline within an hour runtime on brand new pistons.

Baffles - yeah, air and fuel in gets a lot of attention on forums devoted to carb bikes but exhaust is a critical part of the package - not just sound, but back pressure is critical to tuning. Modern stuff more or less adjusts itself or with a tweak from a laptop.

Driveline - fun stuff when you swap wheels around from different bikes! Loose sprocket for an hour can really screw up the whole system, and in my experience that may be where your 1mm wobble came from. Mismatched chain and sprocket is too common (either by size or wear) and wreaks havoc with suspension tuning. Small oscillations overwhelm most OEM shocks, packing them down or even foaming the oil, which make it almost impossible to dial in.

Sure tire size, type and condition all are contributing factors in dialing away those frustrating quirks of handling, but the sag measurement is a critical first step that no amount of compression and rebound tweaking will fix if you don't have that in the range. Small, documented changes made on the same road in the same conditions will lead to getting it all together. Ideally on a race track or otherwise you will be reviewing your suspension notes in jail.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
... try to be nice, I know it's hard for you ... not everyone is a motorcycle genius ... give the guy a break, he's making honest attempts at learning about his motorcycle ... which is more than most folks can say. So rather than mocking him try offering some support and at least a bit of credit for his efforts, RockAZ provided a model to follow.

·
Registered
985 Posts
2019 Lessons Learned:
A constitution is really only just a piece of paper.
Well...it's not ONLY just a piece of paper......it's only just a really old piece of paper 😁

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good feedback people excepting the ass Davy.J. Anyone obsessive enough to make 7542 posts has no life. Poor Davy has forgotten the purpose of forums is to help people and share information. Sight unseen I'll pit my 46 years of riding, wrenching and private parts size against wanker Davy and his microscopic manhood and fragile ego.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Good feedback people excepting the ass Davy.J. ..
Hey dont mess with anybody who rides a Mito - a 275-lb sport bike with a 125 two-stroke motocross engine that wakes up at 7000, comes on the pike at 9000, tapers out around 11,000 with a vaguely threatening harmonic siren song, and sends a piston frag grenade through your nuts at around 12,000 on a machine with no rev limiter but the pilot's throttle hand. These dudes pay attention to what oil to put in their bikes.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Hey dont mess with anybody who rides a Mito - a 275-lb sport bike with a 125 two-stroke motocross engine that wakes up at 7000, comes on the pike at 9000, tapers out around 11,000 with a vaguely threatening harmonic siren song, and sends a piston frag grenade through your nuts at around 12,000 on a machine with no rev limiter but the pilot's throttle hand. These dudes pay attention to what oil to put in their bikes.
Ooh! Let's all be sure to take notes! Can't pass on wisdom like that when dudes like that speak!! Like knowledge from the future!!!!!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Oz is the future, man.. its already tomorrow there. :alien:

OK gonna turn this into an oil thread. Hey Davey, what do you run in your Mito? I ran Redline synthetic 2T. Almost no smoke after warm-up. Kind of important for passing as a 916 to the gendarmes here in the colonies.

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,547 Posts
Castrol Power1 TTS Racing.

And under no circumstances would I run 0/40 in a Ducati even if I had just 53 posts to my name.
And Rex... I've told you before... trolling isn't allowed on this forum..
I know your just a loud mouthed new boy here but have a retro look at some of the technical post I've submitted to the forum over the years before shooting your mouth off.

·
7,547 Posts
Good feedback people excepting the ass Davy.J. Anyone obsessive enough to make 7542 posts has no life. Poor Davy has forgotten the purpose of forums is to help people and share information. Sight unseen I'll pit my 46 years of riding, wrenching and private parts size against wanker Davy and his microscopic manhood and fragile ego.
I'll see your 46 years and raise you 53
I've been helping and sharing here for a while now and never see the need to resort to the infantile words you have.

·
7,547 Posts
... try to be nice, I know it's hard for you ... not everyone is a motorcycle genius ... give the guy a break, he's making honest attempts at learning about his motorcycle ... which is more than most folks can say. So rather than mocking him try offering some support and at least a bit of credit for his efforts, RockAZ provided a model to follow.
Well he won't get far recommending 0/40 oil to Ducati owners, well not the ones around here anyway.

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
8,501 Posts
Good feedback people excepting the ass Davy.J.
Ooh! Let's all be sure to take notes! Can't pass on wisdom like that when dudes like that speak!! Like knowledge from the future!!!!!
I know your just a loud mouthed new boy here but have a retro look at some of the technical post I've submitted to the forum over the years before shooting your mouth off.
The Moderators are getting pretty tired of all this. If you guys can't act civil, then don't post to the forum. There are a few members that are on the very verge of getting banned long-term. Don't be one of them.

Some of you have been here for a long time and have been very helpful contributing members so it would be a loss to the membership if you weren't around anymore. Some of you are relatively new and haven't established yourselves and your place within the membership.

Let me just say that the membership is an international group. Cultures, customs, humor, and sarcasm don't always translate well. Keep this in mind. Don't be an ass. If you're not sure, don't say it. Personal attacks will be on a very short leash. We are getting annoyed with all the reported posts from the same handful of people.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts