Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking to pick up a new 2019 scrambler 800 with 6 miles on the odometer.

Assuming that the factory oil in the engine is over 12 months old, is it reasonable to insist on a fresh oil change to serve me through this riding season?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think if your going to be that big of a stickler you should buy a honda

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
You don't know how much I am paying for the bike. Also, is it that crazy of a concept to require that a vehicle purchased brand new from a ceritified dealer have adequate quality oil in it?

I am going by what actual Ducati and many other manufacturers recommend, oil change every xx miles OR ONE YEAR, whichever comes first.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
I dont think your being a stickler. Ask and see what they say. I would think they'd have a record of it being done already as well.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The bike wasn't sitting outside and I received a response from that the dealership that the oil should be good as long as the bike hasn't really been used and the oil is not contaminated. I'm confident and just going to leave it be.

Thanks for everyone's input

·
Registered
8 Posts
You don't know how much I am paying for the bike. Also, is it that crazy of a concept to require that a vehicle purchased brand new from a ceritified dealer have adequate quality oil in it?

I am going by what actual Ducati and many other manufacturers recommend, oil change every xx miles OR ONE YEAR, whichever comes first.

I like to change mine about every 3500 miles, The service interval for my Diavel is 9000 miles... but that seems like a long, long time. And always new oil at the start of the season. Its easy to do and does not cost that much. While your at it might as well clean and lube the chain, tire pressure check, brake and clutch fluid swap and bleed....

·
Premium Member
12,446 Posts
Have the dealer throw in the first service with the deal free. 6 miles it hardly got through a heat cycle. I like to do my own break- in, just knowing that I screwed it up by myself. Roll the dice and enjoy the new ride.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm assuming it is full synthetic so, sitting for year isn't something I would worry about. Even with Dino-juice, it was in the ground for what, a million or ten years? 12 months is nothing in comparison.

Call it your break-in oil and enjoy your new ride!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts