Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had the same issue with my 2017 Panigale 959, and the forums are full of info on the topic.

https://www.959panigale.net/forum/9...-front-brake-first-lever-pull-feels-soft.html

The initial pull of the front lever requires significantly more travel to build pressure than subsequent pulls.

To get a firm lever you have to pump the lever first. Had the same issue with the Panigale and ended up getting the master replaced under warranty. It never fully solved the problem. Most everyone reported the finding and some said it was better after a bleeding. The only decisive fix was an ABS delete.

Bottom line, my 2019 Hyper has that same annoying feature. Initial pull goes way too far towards the lever. After a pump or two it gets firm again.

·
Registered
406 Posts
You sort of answered your question: The cause is old fluid in the ABS circuit - a traditional bleed won't clear it.

Bleed your calipers as usual getting fresh fluid in them.

With the bleeders closed, spread a caliper forcing fluid up to the MC. Drain MC as needed.

refill the caliper.

repeat with other caliper.

Firm brakes.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Just be systematic.

I have speed bleeder valves which helps things along.

Be sure to have shims between the pads to avoid that Homer Simpson moment

And slowly spread the pistons while draining the MC. Always make sure the MC fluid level doesn't drop too far when refilling the caliper.

Once you remount the calipers and give a couple of final squeezes you'll feel it firm right up - nice.
I've had 2 years of firm brakes - a nice relief from double pumping!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts