Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
In need of getting my ecu flashed
Preferably In Southern California
But anywhere in the USA will do

thanks in advance

·
Registered
543 Posts
You don't have many options for actual flashing of the ecu. The Termi t800 is technically a "flash" . Rexxer might be able to help you but other than that you are needing a piggyback tuner like Rapidbike or Powercommander. What is your goal? There are some inexpensive options that sound like a gimmick, some that are a gimmick and the tried and true.

Want to clean up fueling below 5k rpm, get the "booster plug".
Want to adjust fulr everywhere else or get Dyno tuned you will need PC or RB.
Want to have the bike tune itsself, you will need the RB or PC with add on auto tune module and wide band O2 sensors.
If Rexxer has the 950 ecu cracked then that will be the one I would probably go with(having had PC, RB and booster plug myself for the 821).

·
Registered
543 Posts
One thing to add about Rexxer , it's the ONLY 'system/tune' that cracks the ecu to allow for other functions other than mapping. It allows you to reset service timers, reset TPS, clear codes and pretty much any maintenance can be done at home. At this time the 950, 821 and 939 all need to be taken to the dealer to have things reset. At $50-120 each visit the Rexxer starts to make more and more sense. There is a bit of negative talk about the canned maps that Rexxer has but that all means nothing if you plan to Dyno tune or build your own map. Having spent $600(RB) + $800(PC + auto tune module) + $180(booster plug) + $XXC (30,000miles worth of maintenance counter stuff) on my 821 smarter money would have been Rexxer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems I have two options near me
One is rapid bike with a custom tune
2nd , flash ecu to turn off the o2 and speed limits + add a power commander then custom tune.

other then that no one near me tunes rexxer unfortunately

·
Registered
543 Posts
Most Dyno tuners will prefer you to have the power commander. Seems like most Dyno software is Dynojet which is a Powercommander company. The speed limit things is usually done at the initial brake in service to prevent tomfoolery during the process of bedding everything in. Most places that you take the RB equipt bike too will just run the bike on the Dyno with auto tune on and basically have the tuner do all the work. That stuff can be done at home for free. I have the RB on my bike right now and Ducati Detroit told me this is the process they would do for me as well. The said to put the PC on and they spend some real time doing a tune. I stumbled across a very intelligent man over on the hyperstrada forum that welded wide band O2 sensors and data logger and built a custom map for the 821(can easily be adapted to the 939 and 950. If you would like to know how I will tell you) and it really woke the bike up even after the auto tune said everything was perfect. So if you want a true Dyno tune with a ledgit custom Dyno tuned map I would get the Powercommander if I were you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Most Dyno tuners will prefer you to have the power commander. Seems like most Dyno software is Dynojet which is a Powercommander company. The speed limit things is usually done at the initial brake in service to prevent tomfoolery during the process of bedding everything in. Most places that you take the RB equipt bike too will just run the bike on the Dyno with auto tune on and basically have the tuner do all the work. That stuff can be done at home for free. I have the RB on my bike right now and Ducati Detroit told me this is the process they would do for me as well. The said to put the PC on and they spend some real time doing a tune. I stumbled across a very intelligent man over on the hyperstrada forum that welded wide band O2 sensors and data logger and built a custom map for the 821(can easily be adapted to the 939 and 950. If you would like to know how I will tell you) and it really woke the bike up even after the auto tune said everything was perfect. So if you want a true Dyno tune with a ledgit custom Dyno tuned map I would get the Powercommander if I were you.
Right on bro
Looks like you been down this road lol
Man that tuner told me he would turn off the auto tune feature and do a custom tune.

now for the power commander route I need to flash the ecu....
what’s this you say about the speed limits unlocked at the first service? PC tuner also told me to get the o2’s to be turned off

·
Registered
543 Posts
Turing off the O2 just stops the ecu from fighting the piggyback PC(the Powercommander is a piggyback tuner not a flash to your ecu). The same thing can be done by unplugging the O2 sensors but you will have a error code on the dash. Ducati likes to force you to come in for your first service which is why they have the first service within the first 1000miles. They have been limiting bikes speed and/or rpm to prevent people from bouncing the revlimiter before the bike is broke in. When you go for the first service they change the oil, check various bolts(allegedly) and open the bike up to full standard specs. The guy that told you he would turn auto tune off (on the RB tuner) will ultimately turn it off but will 100% for sure use auto tune in his custom tune. He will basically turn it on, run it in the Dyno, apply the auto tune settings. Run it some more, apply the settings, run it some more and apply the settings. Then he will make very slight adjustments and call it a custom tune. This is for sure what he/she will do without a doubt. The auto tune gets the bike running with safe fueling for the mods that have been done, the ambient temp and elevation. From there he will make slight adjustments. I'll tell you a little secret ,you can do all that at home. You can even lean it out a bit and get the same tune he is going to do. To clerify, we are talking about the Rapidbike Evo piggyback tuner.

The Powercommander, they will pull a tune from a library of 950 hypers with similar mods, upload and build upon that. This 'build upon' you can not do at home on the Powercomander......well it can be but it would just be guessing unless you have the add on PC auto tune module or a secondary wide band O2 data logger.

Neither of these systems are actually flashing your ECU. The only actual ECU flash is the Termi T800(I'm not a fan. How can one map work for everyone with the same mods in every area of the world) or Rexxer everything else is going to be a piggyback system.

The O2 sensors only come into play 0>5k rpm. Idle to 5k the bike runs in closed loop where the O2 sensors give feedback and fuel is adjusted. Above 5k the bike is on open loop running a standard map stored in the ECU. With the O2 still turned on the OEM ECU settings will fight any adjustments made by a piggyback system. This is why most people complian about shitty/surging fueling on all Testestretta motors below 5k rpm even with a tuner (top top...the booster plug fixes exactly this by making the bike think it's 20° colder out than it is. O2 say to add more fuel on its own. People want to fight this fact for some reason/it feels like it could be snake oil. It's not, it works). By turning the O2 off it will allow the tuning they do with the piggyback tuner (PC or RB) to make the adjustments without the ECU closed loop fighting.

I would ask how they intend to tune the bike. If they don't have wide band O2 sensor system that is temp screwed into your exhaust ports or have 2 sensors that feed into each header I might rethink them doing the Dyno tune since they won't actual know what is going on in each cylinder. If it's one sensor at the end of the muffler then it's a combined air fuel ratio number and that's not very accurate. One cylinder can be over fueled and the other super lean creating a perfect air fuel ratio at the tip. What we want is equal a/f ratio one each bank. Both cylinders optimized in a balanced way. This is how we make good reliable consistent power safely.

Sorry for the novel.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Turing off the O2 just stops the ecu from fighting the piggyback PC(the Powercommander is a piggyback tuner not a flash to your ecu). The same thing can be done by unplugging the O2 sensors but you will have a error code on the dash. Ducati likes to force you to come in for your first service which is why they have the first service within the first 1000miles. They have been limiting bikes speed and/or rpm to prevent people from bouncing the revlimiter before the bike is broke in. When you go for the first service they change the oil, check various bolts(allegedly) and open the bike up to full standard specs. The guy that told you he would turn auto tune off (on the RB tuner) will ultimately turn it off but will 100% for sure use auto tune in his custom tune. He will basically turn it on, run it in the Dyno, apply the auto tune settings. Run it some more, apply the settings, run it some more and apply the settings. Then he will make very slight adjustments and call it a custom tune. This is for sure what he/she will do without a doubt. The auto tune gets the bike running with safe fueling for the mods that have been done, the ambient temp and elevation. From there he will make slight adjustments. I'll tell you a little secret ,you can do all that at home. You can even lean it out a bit and get the same tune he is going to do. To clerify, we are talking about the Rapidbike Evo piggyback tuner.

The Powercommander, they will pull a tune from a library of 950 hypers with similar mods, upload and build upon that. This 'build upon' you can not do at home on the Powercomander......well it can be but it would just be guessing unless you have the add on PC auto tune module or a secondary wide band O2 data logger.

Neither of these systems are actually flashing your ECU. The only actual ECU flash is the Termi T800(I'm not a fan. How can one map work for everyone with the same mods in every area of the world) or Rexxer everything else is going to be a piggyback system.

The O2 sensors only come into play 0>5k rpm. Idle to 5k the bike runs in closed loop where the O2 sensors give feedback and fuel is adjusted. Above 5k the bike is on open loop running a standard map stored in the ECU. With the O2 still turned on the OEM ECU settings will fight any adjustments made by a piggyback system. This is why most people complian about shitty/surging fueling on all Testestretta motors below 5k rpm even with a tuner (top top...the booster plug fixes exactly this by making the bike think it's 20° colder out than it is. O2 say to add more fuel on its own. People want to fight this fact for some reason/it feels like it could be snake oil. It's not, it works). By turning the O2 off it will allow the tuning they do with the piggyback tuner (PC or RB) to make the adjustments without the ECU closed loop fighting.

I would ask how they intend to tune the bike. If they don't have wide band O2 sensor system that is temp screwed into your exhaust ports or have 2 sensors that feed into each header I might rethink them doing the Dyno tune since they won't actual know what is going on in each cylinder. If it's one sensor at the end of the muffler then it's a combined air fuel ratio number and that's not very accurate. One cylinder can be over fueled and the other super lean creating a perfect air fuel ratio at the tip. What we want is equal a/f ratio one each bank. Both cylinders optimized in a balanced way. This is how we make good reliable consistent power safely.

Sorry for the novel.
Quick reply .... thanks !
thanks again for taking the time for all this knowledge.

I am about to re read it again.
After what I been hearing , I want to go power commander but how will I deal with turning off the o2’s

·
Registered
543 Posts
You can unug them, sometimes the dealer can turn them off(some dealers can do this using Termi software) or you can get the O2 delete plugs(usually sold in a kit. Actual metal plug for the exhaust hole and a wireing plug for the wire harness). Unplugging is the easiest but you will have a check engine light on. Unugging the O2 sensors makes the bike go to a standard default open loop map (no longer in closed loop. Now in open loop and not making adjustments from the O2 sensors).

Those are your 3 options for the O2 sensors.

One thing to note, almost every Ducati that is running a strong tune has one of these 3 things done to their O2 sensors. You can't build a tune with the OEM narrow band O2 sensors mucking things up.

·
Registered
50 Posts
There’s a guy in the UK and a couple of people in Europe who can flash the 950 ECU so it can be done, would it be worth trying to find someone in the US prepared to take it on?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Need to tidy up powering underneath 5k rpm, get the "sponsor plug".
Need to change fulr wherever else or get Dyno tuned you will require PC or RB.
Need to have the bicycle tune itsself, you will require the RB or PC with add on auto tune module and wide band O2 sensors.Assuming Rexxer has the 950 ecu broken then that will be the one I would presumably go with(having had PC, RB and supporter plug myself for the 821).

·
Registered
89 Posts
One thing to add about Rexxer , it's the ONLY 'system/tune' that cracks the ecu to allow for other functions other than mapping. It allows you to reset service timers, reset TPS, clear codes and pretty much any maintenance can be done at home. At this time the 950, 821 and 939 all need to be taken to the dealer to have things reset. At $50-120 each visit the Rexxer starts to make more and more sense. There is a bit of negative talk about the canned maps that Rexxer has but that all means nothing if you plan to Dyno tune or build your own map. Having spent $600(RB) + $800(PC + auto tune module) + $180(booster plug) + $XXC (30,000miles worth of maintenance counter stuff) on my 821 smarter money would have been Rexxer.
I don't care for any flashing or tuning needs since I run the UpMap T800, but I am interested in the ability to reset the service light and all the other maintenance stuff. Will this work for the HM950 SP?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't care for any flashing or tuning needs since I run the UpMap T800, but I am interested in the ability to reset the service light and all the other maintenance stuff. Will this work for the HM950 SP?
I think the t800 is a flash...
so the t800 with the power commander would be a sick setup to dyno tune

·
Registered
543 Posts
The T800 is an actual flash. They can do it because Termi has that partnership with Ducati so they have the access. The Rexxer also allows you build a new map inside the stock ECU. To answer your question, the Rexxer is the only company/system that has the ability to reset maintenance, TPS and other regular maintenance things. All other systems are piggyback systems with the exception of the T800. T800 only allows flashing of the ECU for mapping purposes but that is about it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The T800 is an actual flash. They can do it because Termi has that partnership with Ducati so they have the access. The Rexxer also allows you build a new map inside the stock ECU. To answer your question, the Rexxer is the only company/system that has the ability to reset maintenance, TPS and other regular maintenance things. All other systems are piggyback systems with the exception of the T800. T800 only allows flashing of the ECU for mapping purposes but that is about it.
That's what I'm after. I already own teh T800 so I don't need the Rexxer for tuning needs. I'm strictly looking to get something that allows me to turn off maintenance lights and etc. Perfectly happy with my T800.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's what I'm after. I already own teh T800 so I don't need the Rexxer for tuning needs. I'm strictly looking to get something that allows me to turn off maintenance lights and etc. Perfectly happy with my T800.
What mods are you running with the t800 ?
night and day difference?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You don't have many options for actual flashing of the ecu. The Termi t800 is technically a "flash" . Rexxer might be able to help you but other than that you are needing a piggyback tuner like Rapidbike or Powercommander. What is your goal?
Sorry didn’t really answer your question the first time.
My goal is basically bolt ons ( decat/sc cans/ star.ace racing intake) and having a wicked tune.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is this new? took another look at the website and read that the rapid bike can tune the low end rpm range

Take a close look at the map values*: all other brands of add-on modules claim to modify the injection values, but in reality Rapid Bike is the only one allowing you to take action and reach consistent results with re-mapping the most critical section of the power delivery curve, that is the range of low and medium rpm where the lambda sensor is in full control of fueling parameters.

The graph’ blue area is defined by other brands as ‘closed loop area’ and as a matter of fact this section remains ‘off-limits’ for the rider since no real modifications of injection values are allowed.Rapid Bike technology puts you in full control of the game without any sort of limitations, offering you a powerful tool to be in charge of improving your bike performance in every riding conditions. Rapidbike software is for windows operation system only.

·
Registered
89 Posts
What mods are you running with the t800 ?
night and day difference?
I have the Starace intake system, arrow decat and SC Project cans. It's night and day difference. Not so much in power (there is a noticeable difference in power but not much) but the best improvement is definitely smoothing out the power and throttle. On and off throttle is smoother, cracking the throttle open from 1st is smoother, closing throttle at mid to high rpm range is smoother.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have the Starace intake system, arrow decat and SC Project cans. It's night and day difference. Not so much in power (there is a noticeable difference in power but not much) but the best improvement is definitely smoothing out the power and throttle. On and off throttle is smoother, cracking the throttle open from 1st is smoother, closing throttle at mid to high rpm range is smoother.
Thanks for that
Do you know if the t800 removes the speed limiter ?
(Mine won’t go passed 140)
Also dose it disable the o2’s ?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts