Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
141 - 160 of 291 Posts
I picked up a new '19 Pikes Peak a few months ago. Got it through the break-in period over hot, summer months and then the service. after service, stalled once and didn't think much. Took it on a 500 mile ride last week and it stalled over and over, probably 40+ times during the trip. I got to a point where I used the DQS just to avoid the clutch. Stalling happened during down-shifts from 3rd to 2nd mostly, but also from 5th to 4th. will be taking in for warranty repair this Friday and will let you know how it goes.

Just got my 2020 back today, but haven't had a chance to ride it yet. Dealer says they inspected throttle bodies but didn't find any contamination. They replaced the charcoal canister to resolve the issue. Ducati did cover the repair as "good-will", but say it's not a covered warranty defect and won't cover it again. They believe I overfilled the tank causing fuel to enter the charcoal canister. I'm pretty careful during refueling to not go above the plastic tube in the filler neck as shown in the owners manual, but maybe I did overfill it? I'll try to keep the fuel level slightly lower and see how it goes....

Discussion starter · #144 ·
I picked up a new '19 Pikes Peak a few months ago. Got it through the break-in period over hot, summer months and then the service. after service, stalled once and didn't think much. Took it on a 500 mile ride last week and it stalled over and over, probably 40+ times during the trip. I got to a point where I used the DQS just to avoid the clutch. Stalling happened during down-shifts from 3rd to 2nd mostly, but also from 5th to 4th. will be taking in for warranty repair this Friday and will let you know how it goes.
Exact same issue as mine started with. It then had difficulty restarting. I would show the dealer this thread. Also, Ducati NA is aware of this issue. Since mine was repaired my bike has run very well.

Just got my 2020 back today, but haven't had a chance to ride it yet. Dealer says they inspected throttle bodies but didn't find any contamination. They replaced the charcoal canister to resolve the issue. Ducati did cover the repair as "good-will", but say it's not a covered warranty defect and won't cover it again. They believe I overfilled the tank causing fuel to enter the charcoal canister. I'm pretty careful during refueling to not go above the plastic tube in the filler neck as shown in the owners manual, but maybe I did overfill it? I'll try to keep the fuel level slightly lower and see how it goes....
Is there any documented cases of Hypermotards not running well due to charcoal canister contamination? If not, find a new dealer. I hate it when dealers turn around a manufacturers problem and blame it on the customer.

Most riders overfill the tank once in a while. It happens.

As mentioned above, Ducat is well aware of this issue and issued a documented fix.

Got mine back a couple of weeks ago. (19' Hyper) Cleaned the throttle bodies and replaced the fuel cell, bike runs perfect now. They mentioned the canister as well but that was not it.

Got mine back a couple of weeks ago. (19' Hyper) Cleaned the throttle bodies and replaced the fuel cell, bike runs perfect now. They mentioned the canister as well but that was not it.

Questions, sorry.

What do you mean by fuel cell? The tank? What was wrong with it?

What did they say about the canister? They replaced it?

Questions, sorry.

What do you mean by fuel cell? The tank? What was wrong with it?

What did they say about the canister? They replaced it?

Yes, they replaced the fuel tank and just cleaned the throttle bodies. They stated they would replace the throttle bodies if need be but wasn't needed. They mentioned that you can over fill the fuel tank and clog the canister, I told them to piss off about that. My bike never ran right from zero miles delivery until now.

I owned 2008 hyper for a lot of years and haven't had one for a few years, I just bought a brand new leftover 2019 but I'm working out of the country for another month. I'm asking the dealer to check for updates and notified dealer of this post, but I am wondering if anyone has any opinions if this issue will be worse with a leftover model that's been sitting and only has 5 mi on it?

I have a 2017 super sport that once in a great while is a bear to start when it's cold, just cranks and cranks and cranks, wondering if it was an issue back then as well?

The bike will either have it, start to have it once miles are added or not have it. There's no way to know up front unless you experience at least cold stalling. That's where it started for me.

I owned 2008 hyper for a lot of years and haven't had one for a few years, I just bought a brand new leftover 2019 but I'm working out of the country for another month. I'm asking the dealer to check for updates and notified dealer of this post, but I am wondering if anyone has any opinions if this issue will be worse with a leftover model that's been sitting and only has 5 mi on it?

I have a 2017 super sport that once in a great while is a bear to start when it's cold, just cranks and cranks and cranks, wondering if it was an issue back then as well?

In follow up to my original post, after getting my hypermotard back from the dealer the third time it finally has been running good (no dying issues) for the past 600+ miles. Overall at 2760+ miles it is finally running good. So the Dealer called me today to let me know that they have another Hypermotard in the shop with the same problem mine was having, Ducati has finally admitted that there is a gas tank problem and they are going to replace my Tank and MAP under warranty. Fingers crossed that the problem doesn't come back :(

So I have roughly 8.3k on the bike. I had the issue prior to the start of this season (so around 4.6k), it was repaired by the dealer over the winter, and I have not had any issues since. The anticorrosion material getting on the throttle bodies was described as the culprit. However, my last 2 rides (this past sunday and yesterday), I had a few initial cold start stalls. Bike was warming up on the driveway, registering temperature albeit not fully warmed up (122 degrees I want to say), I gave a quick blip and the engine cut out. That has not happened since the "fix" so for over 4k miles. Perhaps just a few isolated cold stalls but that was the main presenting symptom last time around...

FYI charcoal cannister has been completely removed. I don't mess with those things as they've been reported to be the root of a lot of issues (i.e.: sucking in gas tanks etc). So that's no longer a factor.

Is there an official issue with the gas tanks or that just a rumor?

Discussion starter · #155 ·
Mine will still do the cold start and stall at times, however, once started it runs perfect. I attribute that to the stock map and exhaust more than anything. I really do love the way this bike rides and handles.

So I have roughly 8.3k on the bike. I had the issue prior to the start of this season (so around 4.6k), it was repaired by the dealer over the winter, and I have not had any issues since. The anticorrosion material getting on the throttle bodies was described as the culprit. However, my last 2 rides (this past sunday and yesterday), I had a few initial cold start stalls. Bike was warming up on the driveway, registering temperature albeit not fully warmed up (122 degrees I want to say), I gave a quick blip and the engine cut out. That has not happened since the "fix" so for over 4k miles. Perhaps just a few isolated cold stalls but that was the main presenting symptom last time around...

FYI charcoal cannister has been completely removed. I don't mess with those things as they've been reported to be the root of a lot of issues (i.e.: sucking in gas tanks etc). So that's no longer a factor.

Is there an official issue with the gas tanks or that just a rumor?
No stalling even when cold since the fix and I do occasionally overfill the tank with the charcoal canister in place. 10.5 K miles now.

I think you indicated that you use HVMC's Steve Saucier to service your bike. What does he say?

No stalling even when cold since the fix and I do occasionally overfill the tank with the charcoal canister in place. 10.5 K miles now.

I think you indicated that you use HVMC's Steve Saucier to service your bike. What does he say?

Pard I have not run it by Steve yet. This is honestly the first event of cold start stalls since the repair. So about 4k of mileage. I will pick his brain this winter.

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the info. Picked up my 2019 SP used with 950 miles on it and started the stalling almost immediately. Told the dealer exactly what I thought it was , they horsed around reloaded the map and said it was good. Got worse, took at back and insisted they reach out to Ducati NA. They then called me back to tell me they were replacing the tank and cleaning everything else. a couple hundred miles so far and runs like a different bike!

That really is aggravating. Ducati will fix it, but it takes longer than you would like.

I hope you have another bike to ride. That seems to be a requirement with these bikes. If you really enjoy riding, have at least two bikes. When they break, it can be down for a while.

Best of luck.
So true the enthusiast needs 2 Ducati bikes to have in the event of misadventure.

141 - 160 of 291 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.