Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

121 - 135 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I found this forum while searching out this same problem. My Hyper 950 is 1 year old and currently is at the dealers for the third time for constant stalling issues, it started at about 600 miles just randomly when I'd roll off the throttle and pull the clutch when coming up to stops. Took it in for the first tune/check up and mentioned that it occasionally dies when pulling the clutch, they looked into it and found the plugs were fouled up so they replaced them and the bike rode great for about another 600 miles and the problem came back even worse. Second time I brought it in they tore into it further and found a bunch of flaked up crap on the intakes (see picture) their first comment was it was the gas I was using!!! Wrong Answer!! there's no way that crap came from the gas. Well they got it all cleaned up and it ran great for about another 3 months, now its back in the shop with the same problem and the same flakes on the intake. I spoke to the service manager yesterday and told him of my findings here and on other forums, and mentioned the anti-corrosion coating possibility and that they should really dig into it and clean everything up stream in the fuel system. I'll post up their response and findings soon.
IMG_6017.JPG

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
That is the issue and Ducati North America is aware of it. Once properly cleaned it will run great.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I found this forum while searching out this same problem. My Hyper 950 is 1 year old and currently is at the dealers for the third time for constant stalling issues, it started at about 600 miles just randomly when I'd roll off the throttle and pull the clutch when coming up to stops. Took it in for the first tune/check up and mentioned that it occasionally dies when pulling the clutch, they looked into it and found the plugs were fouled up so they replaced them and the bike rode great for about another 600 miles and the problem came back even worse. Second time I brought it in they tore into it further and found a bunch of flaked up crap on the intakes (see picture) their first comment was it was the gas I was using!!! Wrong Answer!! there's no way that crap came from the gas. Well they got it all cleaned up and it ran great for about another 3 months, now its back in the shop with the same problem and the same flakes on the intake. I spoke to the service manager yesterday and told him of my findings here and on other forums, and mentioned the anti-corrosion coating possibility and that they should really dig into it and clean everything up stream in the fuel ... ]
You have suffered enough. Reach out to Ducati Corporate and get a complaint going. Your dealer is jerking you around.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I found this forum while searching out this same problem. My Hyper 950 is 1 year old and currently is at the dealers for the third time for constant stalling issues, it started at about 600 miles just randomly when I'd roll off the throttle and pull the clutch when coming up to stops. Took it in for the first tune/check up and mentioned that it occasionally dies when pulling the clutch, they looked into it and found the plugs were fouled up so they replaced them and the bike rode great for about another 600 miles and the problem came back even worse. Second time I brought it in they tore into it further and found a bunch of flaked up crap on the intakes (see picture) their first comment was it was the gas I was using!!! Wrong Answer!! there's no way that crap came from the gas. Well they got it all cleaned up and it ran great for about another 3 months, now its back in the shop with the same problem and the same flakes on the intake. I spoke to the service manager yesterday and told him of my findings here and on other forums, and mentioned the anti-corrosion coating possibility and that they should really dig into it and clean everything up stream in the fuel system. I'll post up their response and findings soon. View attachment 991782
Feel sorry for you mate!! Ducati acted like such idiots with my problem that once fixed with new throttle bodies I sold it. Im in the Uk but I complained direct to Ducati in Italy as the Uk crowd were not interested in helping me.
I’ve a mate with one and his has started doing the same now. I told him to sell it ASAP.
The debris in your intakes looks like limescale?
I hope you get it sorted

·
Registered
2 Posts
Feel sorry for you mate!! Ducati acted like such idiots with my problem that once fixed with new throttle bodies I sold it. Im in the Uk but I complained direct to Ducati in Italy as the Uk crowd were not interested in helping me.
I’ve a mate with one and his has started doing the same now. I told him to sell it ASAP.
The debris in your intakes looks like limescale?
I hope you get it sorted
Yeah, Not a real big fan of how my dealer is handling it, I sent a complaint to Ducati directly just to go on record with them. I'm picking the bike up this afternoon, I'll see what happens in the next 700 miles, I'm glad I payed for an extended 2 year warranty, so I've got another year of them figuring it out on their dime. Love the bike and want to keep it, but if this keeps happening its going up for sale. :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wow scary how old this post is. I have the same exact issues but it's also happened when the bikes hot. Anyone roll hard on the throttle, TFT flashes red and then bike stalls out? Bike then goes into what others have said is "limp mode". Can't go past 1/2 throttle. Cold start stalls have always been an issue for me. Goes to dealer next week.

·
Registered
2020 Hypermotard 950 SP
6 Posts
So I had this issue and they took it apart and cleaned it. It wasn't as bad as some of the members here, but it was still shit. Ducati now wants to replace my gas tank. Anyone get a call from their dealer about replacing their tank? @PNorris?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine was dropped off to the dealer last week, Of course they can't duplicate the stall but have someone from Ducati NA advising. Mentioned the common issues here, so let's see what happens.

·
Registered
2020 Hypermotard 950 SP
6 Posts
Ah well they said they couldn't order the tank till after the 8th for whatever reason. Once it gets replaced I will report back. My dealer has been insanely swamped so I'll probably get it scheduled soon.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mine had a new fuel pump installed as part of the nonsense but did not make any difference when I was having all the trouble. I sold the bike anyway as others I knew were experiencing the same issues and it looks like they are still not fully owning up to it as the new throttle bodies on mine were the same part as had failed according to the good dealer that sorted it for me, All my confidence had gone in the bike so I got rid of it. I can see it becoming a plaguing issue with the hypermotard which is a shame as they are great bikes to ride.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Mine had a new fuel pump installed as part of the nonsense but did not make any difference when I was having all the trouble. I sold the bike anyway as others I knew were experiencing the same issues and it looks like they are still not fully owning up to it as the new throttle bodies on mine were the same part as had failed according to the good dealer that sorted it for me, All my confidence had gone in the bike so I got rid of it. I can see it becoming a plaguing issue with the hypermotard which is a shame as they are great bikes to ride.
Sorry to hear that you had so many problems with yours. I know that there were a batch of them at the beginning that came out that had this stalling issue, it took Ducati some time to release the second batch.
I got mine in Dec 2019 and luckily I am at nearly 9000 miles without a single problem. I am due for the first time large service and will mention to them to check the throttle bodies for junk buildup. I feel like I am seeing and hearing less of this issue with the later releases of this bike. Most of the complaints happened with the first releases of this bike.

Don't give up on this bike, as you know it is an amazing bike. Unfortunately you got a bad one. I can say that at this point, with the ones coming out I haven't heard anything bad.

What are you thinking of replacing it with?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I purchased a new 2020 Hyper in late July (MFG date 02/2020). First 1000 miles it ran great, then started intermittently stalling and surging. I notice the surging when trying to keep a steady cruising speed. Sometimes the idle will go up/down 500-1200rpm. It's got about 2000 miles on it now. Called dealer other day to schedule an appointment, but they want me to try running some Chevron Techtron fuel system cleaner thru it first...haven't had a chance to try that yet.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I purchased a new 2020 Hyper in late July (MFG date 02/2020). First 1000 miles it ran great, then started intermittently stalling and surging. I notice the surging when trying to keep a steady cruising speed. Sometimes the idle will go up/down 500-1200rpm. It's got about 2000 miles on it now. Called dealer other day to schedule an appointment, but they want me to try running some Chevron Techtron fuel system cleaner thru it first...haven't had a chance to try that yet.
I personally use Chevron or Shell, only because they are close to the house.
Who knows if this has anything to do with it??

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sorry to hear that you had so many problems with yours. I know that there were a batch of them at the beginning that came out that had this stalling issue, it took Ducati some time to release the second batch.
I got mine in Dec 2019 and luckily I am at nearly 9000 miles without a single problem. I am due for the first time large service and will mention to them to check the throttle bodies for junk buildup. I feel like I am seeing and hearing less of this issue with the later releases of this bike. Most of the complaints happened with the first releases of this bike.

Don't give up on this bike, as you know it is an amazing bike. Unfortunately you got a bad one. I can say that at this point, with the ones coming out I haven't heard anything bad.

What are you thinking of replacing it with?
I didn’t replace it with anything new, will just keep my 1199 and 998 which are good fun for me too ride. I hope they sort the hyper out as it is a great bike for future customers and I maybe tempted to buy another if they sort all the problems

121 - 135 of 135 Posts