Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

2019 950 Stalling issues

58183 Views 287 Replies 55 Participants Last post by  STLHyper950sp
So, I got the bike back from my dealer with an "update." The bike now stalls frequently. If you pull in the clutch when the revs are above say 4-5k the engine just stalls. The only way to keep it stalling coming to a light is to let the revs drop really low before you pull in the clutch. Obviously, this is totally unacceptable, as it stalled about 5-6 times on me yesterday and then gave me a hard time restarting each time. Also, when I stopped for fuel it gave me a hard time restarting. Is anyone else experiencing this. The dealer is getting a call today. Surprisingly, they are actually open on Mondays.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Just bought a slightly used 950sp and the prior owner said he never had a stall on the bike in the 1200 miles he owned it but on my pull in to a gas station after about 200 freeway miles it stalled.

Called my local dealer and they said there is a campaign to address a technical issue but it didn't say more than that. Hopefully I'll know more Tuesday when the service manager is in and it's for this issue.

· Registered
7 Posts
Bike stalled on the freeway going 80 when I pulled the clutch in to fold in a bar end mirror. Refused to restart until I was going about 20 with my hazards on (this was during 5pm CA 405 traffic mind you) really lucky the dude behind me realized what was going on and was a blocker car for me.

This is legitimately something that could get someone killed. I am going to call my dealer Tuesday and see if they will come pick up the bike. Hopefully they don't give me the run around since it's used and I didn't buy it from them.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

· Registered
7 Posts
Yeah I noticed when I pulled in the clutch the bike would drop revs so low it wouldn't show on the tach and either bounce back or the bike would 'blip' the throttle to get the revs back up.

My local Ducati dealer was nice enough to pick up the bike with my crazy work schedule and hopefully they will get into it tomorrow or Friday. They sounded fairly confident they could get it fixed quickly.

I just hope this is a one and done fix and not something that keeps going back and forth to the dealer over. I love every aspect of the bike except the stalling

· Registered
7 Posts
Curious as to why Ducati would make the idle so low to even let this happen. Seems unique to the production models as well as no reviewers reported it. I bet once they had to get it all approved for emissions requirements they tried to lower the idle as much as possible and took it too far

· Registered
7 Posts
To keep people updated the bike is still at the shop they are not hoping they will get it back to my Tuesday of next week (though I doubt they actually will). My dealer has been great in this process even though they have quite a few bikes in for service hence the delay.

They performed the battery recall on the bike and did a full update of the software but my bikes still had issues starting, idling, and riding. The techs then decided to plug in a demo unit they have to the computer to look at the running parameters to see what the difference between my bike and the demo was, there were none. They then went on to check the MAF sensor and made sure it was not cracked or damaged in any way. The issue still persisted so they were going to check plugs and some other things and that was the last update I heard from them as of yesterday.

Spoke to them today and they mentioned they still had a few things to check and then wanted to test ride it but it was unclear if the bike was still running horribly or if they got it fixed and just wanted to be doubly sure before returning it to me.

All and all very annoying that this appears to be a ghost we are chasing but my dealer has been great about it and they have luckily been able to replicate all of the issues I have had with the bike. They seem committed to fixing it right the first time. My old Ducati dealer would have just done the recalls then gave the bike back and said "we see nothing wrong with it yours is just different" so I am very happy I am not in that situation.

I will keep everyone updated once I get the bike back and know more about the culprit.

· Registered
7 Posts
Got the bike back yesterday and rode it for the first time today. Happy to report the issue appears to be resolved.

No issues starting even in cold foggy weather parked outside over night.

Riding it the idle no longer drops below the tach, it occasionally goes a bit low but it is 90/95% better than before, certainly no holding my breath pulling in the clutch.

I was a bit concerned because it didn't seem like we ever found the cause of the problem. The work done to the bike was according to the work order

Battery recall
Software update to ecu
Checking all ecu parameters against demo model (all parameters were very close but the bike was still rough idling)
Check MAF sensors and spark plugs (no issues found)
Replacement of air filter due to some kind of white substance on the original

Whichever of these was the issue appears to be fixed now. Interesting to note that my idle doesn't appear to be higher like others here reported, just more stable.

Strange issue but hopefully this is the end of it.

Now to figure out how to fix the condensation on the inside of my ducabike clutch cover. Previous owner had it installed at a dealer and the issue didn't happen until I got it back from the dealer, though I can't blame the dealer for condensation.

I will post an update in about two weeks to let everyone know how the bike is doing, I hope the stalling won't come back like some cases here have

· Registered
7 Posts
Did my first proper long ride today trying everything in my power to recreate the stalling conditions and it seems great. I don't recall the on off throttle being so sticky though, maybe that is just me forgetting. If the clutch is out and I am splitting traffic sometimes it feels like I need to open the throttle about 10% before the bike actually does anything, this is only from coasting at idle. I figure this is probably due to Euro 5 emissions on the closed loop more than the previous issue

1 - 7 of 7 Posts