Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got a birthday and a bonus coming up and I've been stalking the 950 for awhile now. Anyone have any info to share on the 2019 950 S? Things to look out for? Known issues? Buying tips, etc.? I suspect that if I manage to get in a test ride soon I'm gonna just go for it and keep the Hyper for mountain runs.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Have not heard of any watchouts that are specific to the model. If you're looking at used just check for all the stuff you always check for (maintenance and signs of abuse).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Are you looking to buy used? If so, I think you will mostly find demo models. I did see a 2018 non-S model for $10.5K with ~3K miles on it. Overall, it looked pretty clean.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don't think the Multistrada 950's have much appeal in the USA market because:
  • 1260's exist
  • the demographic they appeal to most will be looking at the 2-cylinder KTM, BMW and, various Japanese Adventure oriented models
  • The price points are at the top of the market
  • Ducati sales volume overall is pretty small
  • Super Sports and Nakeds with Scramblers thrown in the mix is where the majority of the marketplace is today
  • Finally, when most people think of Ducati, Multistrada isn't the first model to come to mind
To be honest, the vast majority of Ducati Multistrada 'new' buyers can afford the 1260 so most are going to go for the extra 'thrill'. To me, the ergonomics, weight, etc. between a comparable 950/1260 is basically the same.

On a related note, when I see Ducati's 'in the wild', they are almost exclusively Monsters! I live outside the larger metropolitan areas so, I suspect that is why I don't see many Super Sports or Hypermotards.

The ADVENTURE BIKE appeal is where this motorcycle really is. Hence, Ducati putting only SPOKED 19" front wheels on the 2020 models, as I was told at a dealership a couple of weeks ago. So now you have essentially a 4-way choice between the European 'adventure' styled motorcycles:
  • KTM with a hard off-road focus
  • BMW with a touring focus (and a new 900cc model likely next year to complement the naked and adventure styled models for 2019)
  • Triumph with either a street or off-road focused option
  • Ducati formerly SPORT focused with a strong street presence
To be honest, if I wasn't the happy owner of a Kawasaki lightweight dual-sport and a KTM enduro, I'd be giving the Desert Sled a harder look but, I don't really need '3 dirt bikes'!

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
I purchased a 950S in the US and traded it out for a 1260S about 9 months later. I loved everything about the 950 and would have kept it if it had a 17 inch front wheel. Every discussion I have seen about the 2 bikes has always focused on the motor. The real key difference in my opinion however, is the front wheel. The 19 is a great ride, but is is slower to turn in and less nimble than the 17.

The 950 motor is pretty awesome, and I think its much more usable for most people and situations than the 1260. You can regularly wring it out. That makes riding it a little more exhilarating, imo. Although its only 40 lbs or so lighter than the 1260, that is noticeable weight in slow speed maneuvering.

The front suspension of the 950 is much softer than the 1260. I had to crank the preload up much higher. This is due to the "dual sport" vibe they are going for.

But, as I mentioned above, I found the 19 inch front wheel to be a little less of a sporty ride than I was looking for, and I will never be taking my multi off road. If I ever found myself in a different place where I was regularly riding forest service roads or long stretches of gravel, etc, I would purchase another 950S Spoked Wheels over a 1260 Enduro.

For dedicated off road riding, all of these bikes (1290 Super Adventure, 1250GS, Multi Family, etc) are way too big to compete with a real dirt bike.

·
Registered
43 Posts
That summarizes my thoughts a lot. The 2020 950S really is aimed primarily at the 'adventure' crowd that is looking at the Triumph Tiger, KTM and, BMW 'adventure' offerings. The main thing I noticed in the showroom regarding the 950S was the amount of weight up high and forward which as noted, will make slow speed maneuvers more challenging. In addition, this weight and the 19" front wheel are both going to affect handling in a negative way if you want a really sporty ride though, the adventure crowd is apt to prefer the slower response and its seemingly more 'relaxed' nature.

·
Registered
256 Posts
In Canada, or at least here in British Columbia, there's a significant insurance cost in going over 1000cc so for some, this may be a reason for considering the 950. When I was a kid, 950cc was a really big bike!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I remember pricing a Kawasaki street bike, nothing special just a classic looking standard. Turns out, the chassis VIN had the same sequence as the ZX-6 and the liability quote (not full coverage) was about a third the cost the motorcycle every 6 months! :eek:

Insurance costs can affect what motorcycle a person buys because they can't afford the purchase AND insurance at the same time. For me, a larger displacement dual-sport was ~15% the insurance cost of the 'standard'. :rolleyes:

And no, the MSF course didn't make much difference either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts