Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Hammer Down
2020 Multistrada 1260 S Touring
1,823 Posts
My 2020 1260 makes the noise at low speeds. Started not long after new. However mine aren’t grabby.

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Squealing brakes, a Ducati tradition. Pads or rotors glazed, probably both. On the older bikes I use a vibrating sander and coarse grit to refinish the rotors and change the pads. You can clean the rotors with wd40 and wipe them good after. If you change pads use that anti chatter goo behind them. If you use them lightly a lot, they will glaze. Might want to consider a pad with less bite next time . The rotor buttons can seize and cause squealing too if the rotor can’t float and align with the pads.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jumping in here, had an old account/old email but could not get it to work so created a new.. 2019 1260S, 3k miles. I have the same squeal issue, slow speed push around, honk, honk, honk from the front brakes and the same sound with significant pulsation coming up to a slow speed stop. It's equivalent to GRAB, release, GRAB, release, it's unnerving and dangerous in some respects to the point I'd just rather ride my Indians. 850lb+bikes which stop on a dime compared to this Ducati and no brake fade and no rotors warping! This issue started just after my initial service at 800 miles, dealer is 2hrs away so I've been holding off until another service.

Took it in early last week for an annual, really wanting the brakes looked at and fixed, I had already put a runout gauge on them and they are off by .20+. It's been a week and outside of some alien speak (about not being able to capture the info from the tech) they are not giving the impression it will be warranty. The bike has been ridden mildly and there is no reason the rotors should be warped.

There are many complaints about this problem on this forum, some get warranty coverage...more than once...some get hosed. Looks like the OEM rotors are over a grand for the pair plus pads and labor. I will not go for that if they are going to warp again.

Has anyone replaced the stock rotors and pads with something else? I see Brembo has them for around $500 but they appear similar or same as what Ducati is selling.

I'll provide an update once I get more info from the dealer.
I’ll be replacing mine with Galfer Wave rotors and HH sintered pads for around $650. I’ll do it myself but the job will take less than 1 hour to complete.
currently working with Ducati for coverage on mine. Hoping they cover it. Like you I’ve not hammered on this at all and mine warped 6-8 thou.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
I think there are a couple issues that people tend to mix up when discussing this. There is real brake squeal when under braking the pads squeal (loudly)... this is super annoying and is generally fixed with damping pad backers. The OTHER issue is a brake squeal that happens NOT under braking... most noticeable for me when I push the bike around the garage. I THINK this has something to do with the pads (which can lightly touch the rotors even when you're not braking) interacting with the cross drilling and causing a resonance in the rotor (high frequency but low volume). I'm not sure there's any way to fix that, and yes it's mildly annoying but you get used to it after a while.

I tried EBC HH pads and they didn't stop that second issue (I've never had the first issue with the Multi)... and I really didn't like the feel of the EBC pads (they have an an aggressive braking force onset and then drop off nonlinearly... I prefer the more linear/progressive braking feel of the OEM pads). So I switched back.

Reactions: Duckfoot22

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think there are a couple issues that people tend to mix up when discussing this. There is real brake squeal when under braking the pads squeal (loudly)... this is super annoying and is generally fixed with damping pad backers. The OTHER issue is a brake squeal that happens NOT under braking... most noticeable for me when I push the bike around the garage. I THINK this has something to do with the pads (which can lightly touch the rotors even when you're not braking) interacting with the cross drilling and causing a resonance in the rotor (high frequency but low volume). I'm not sure there's any way to fix that, and yes it's mildly annoying but you get used to it after a while.

I tried EBC HH pads and they didn't stop that second issue (I've never had the first issue with the Multi)... and I really didn't like the feel of the EBC pads (they have an an aggressive braking force onset and then drop off nonlinearly... I prefer the more linear/progressive braking feel of the OEM pads). So I switched back.
I think you are correct. I know exactly what actual brake squeal is and its not that although some have that issue it does not appear to be that in this thread. Squeal happens when the pad backing grinds or moves against the caliper caused by brake pads being moved fore/aft/up/down on the rotor grip surface. An aluminum shim or brake quiet paste can solve it but will not solve the discussed issues.

I can live with the noise without complaint but not warped rotors. I've cleaned buttons, they are new and free, I've taken a rotor crosshatch disk and run it the proper way over both sides of the rotors, I've cleaned them and I've checked that the calipers are free. All looks good but the rotors have developed runout which causes both noise and pulsating which makes it nearly impossible to hit an intended stop spot at any any intersection. Ducati likes to make high HP, high performance bikes but seems to have forgot about stopping them. Compared to any other motorcycle I've owned or own the brakes on this thing are horrible bad.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Sadly I don't think there's any way to fix runout on these rotors... once a rotor is warped it's in the bin. Have you measured the rotors to see how bad it is? If the bike is still under warranty then an out of spec measurement would be a warranty issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sadly I don't think there's any way to fix runout on these rotors... once a rotor is warped it's in the bin. Have you measured the rotors to see how bad it is? If the bike is still under warranty then an out of spec measurement would be a warranty issue.
Yes that's obvious, no way runout on these type rotors can never be fixed nor would I try or ask them to be. I've measured them they are .20+ off, at the dealer now, does not look promising on warranty without escalating it...been a week and they have not been able to find their head from a hole in the ground to this point so I guess more time will tell.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
if by .02 you mean 20 thou... that's WAY out of spec... if you're still on original pads and within warranty period then I'd definitely escalate since there's nothing you should have been able to do to damage them yourself. It gets trickier if you've replaced pads (especially if they're not oem anymore)... but even then I'd try.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well the latest update from the dealer today is they FINALLY got the Ducati rep involved who wants measurements on the rotors so they can make a determination. Service manager says to me "we need you to bring it in next Wednesday so we can get those measurements to the rep"..... BUT they have had my bike in their shop since 5/17..WTF. It's clear they don''t know what end is up but the next closest dealer is 4 hours away.

To add more insult, if they do decide to warranty the rotors and pads they don't have the parts in the USA. They must order from Italy 2-3 weeks which means to me there goes June unless I want to shuffle 4 hours x 3 more trips to the dealer and ride with bad brakes. He claims there is no Ducati USA warehouse and they do not stock rotors. How can they support USA sales without a parts warehouse? If true that says something about what importance their customers have after the sale.

This is the first problem I've had but feel I definitely made the wrong choice given the dealer and no support. It's almost a sure bet I will have a very nice, mint condition, 2019 Multi with lots of extras for sale real cheap as soon as I can get it back. I don't need something that forces me to deal with morons and companies with crap service. Many other options out there.

Sorry for the book, going to ride my other bikes this weekend and blow off steam!

·
Registered
- 2020 Multistrada 1260S GT / 2014 848 Evo Corse SE
230 Posts
@DaveK my 1260 S experiences exactly what Dave described (last few MPH noise on front brake and pushing bike around garage) and I have been told by many it is normal for these bikes. It annoys me sure, but if it stops me when I need it to then it does it’s job. When it bothers me sometimes I just use more back brake to complete the stop in silence.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Well the latest update from the dealer today is they FINALLY got the Ducati rep involved who wants measurements on the rotors so they can make a determination. Service manager says to me "we need you to bring it in next Wednesday so we can get those measurements to the rep"..... BUT they have had my bike in their shop since 5/17..WTF. It's clear they don''t know what end is up but the next closest dealer is 4 hours away.

To add more insult, if they do decide to warranty the rotors and pads they don't have the parts in the USA. They must order from Italy 2-3 weeks which means to me there goes June unless I want to shuffle 4 hours x 3 more trips to the dealer and ride with bad brakes. He claims there is no Ducati USA warehouse and they do not stock rotors. How can they support USA sales without a parts warehouse? If true that says something about what importance their customers have after the sale.

This is the first problem I've had but feel I definitely made the wrong choice given the dealer and no support. It's almost a sure bet I will have a very nice, mint condition, 2019 Multi with lots of extras for sale real cheap as soon as I can get it back. I don't need something that forces me to deal with morons and companies with crap service. Many other options out there.

Sorry for the book, going to ride my other bikes this weekend and blow off steam!
If you have a dial indicator then grab a video and send it... I'm 3 hours from my dealer so send a lot of videos.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
You must be trying to get me more worked up. They have my bike!!!!!
lol shit sorry... lazy reading on my part. I just got mine back yesterday after 3 weeks (map sensor which had to come from Italy presumably).

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Glazed pads will squeal. If you use pads with more bite than you need or use, you will probably glaze them . The partial solution is to find the correct pad.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Update, After being jacked around another week and still no information or resolution on the front brakes I went and picked up my Multi today. Dealer is twiddling and failing to follow up, blaming Ducati but already caught them in several lies and the service ticket says it all, incompetence. Claimed they took measurements and sent them in but that alone took another entire week with no follow-up. Told them to get back to me once they find their heads and figure out what is going on. I could ride the bike as is but they have left me with such a bad taste I just want to get rid of it and move on. The lack of service options alone means I made a bad decision. I accept that and will deal with it. So will likely be listing for sale in the forum when I have the privilege, don't care for the craigslist bs. Too many other options with good service dealerships I know to deal with these jokers. Someone who has a good service dealer will own a very nice 1260s. It's sad that manufacturers allow these type dealers to exist but most are only concerned about number of units out the door. Need something fixed?...not their problem you will wait until they feel good and ready and the mfg uses the dealer as an excuse.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update, After being jacked around another week and still no information or resolution on the front brakes I went and picked up my Multi today. Dealer is twiddling and failing to follow up, blaming Ducati but already caught them in several lies and the service ticket says it all, incompetence. Claimed they took measurements and sent them in but that alone took another entire week with no follow-up. Told them to get back to me once they find their heads and figure out what is going on. I could ride the bike as is but they have left me with such a bad taste I just want to get rid of it and move on. The lack of service options alone means I made a bad decision. I accept that and will deal with it. So will likely be listing for sale in the forum when I have the privilege, don't care for the craigslist bs. Too many other options with good service dealerships I know to deal with these jokers. Someone who has a good service dealer will own a very nice 1260s. It's sad that manufacturers allow these type dealers to exist but most are only concerned about number of units out the door. Need something fixed?...not their problem you will wait until they feel good and ready and the mfg uses the dealer as an excuse.
So after going around with Ducati for a month I finally got some closure. Very nice guy Raymond at Ducati USA, cannot blame him for anything. (just following protocol).
They are sending the two front rotors only, no pads or labor. Partially my fault. The dealer that performed my first service at 1200 miles didn't notate the WO that I complained about it. I should have forced the issue. So now that I have 4500 miles they feel I made it worse and they are doing this purely under Goodwill. So the rotors will be shipped to the dealer and I will bring them the front wheel to swap the rotors. I'll buy some good Sintered HH pads and call it done!! I have 6700 miles on my bike now and they have been made no worse for wear with the additional miles placed on them. I bought this bike new in April 12th and put 6700 miles on it in 2 months its not like its a year old.
Terrible 1st warranty experience with Ducati hope I don't need to interface with them on much else, feel like it will always be like this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I should add I had the dealer look at the brakes at 1,900 miles they said this noise is very common in Multistrada bikes with M50 calipers

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
I just dropped mine off at the dealer for the same reason.
1900 miles..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
So after going around with Ducati for a month I finally got some closure. Very nice guy Raymond at Ducati USA, cannot blame him for anything. (just following protocol).
They are sending the two front rotors only, no pads or labor. Partially my fault. The dealer that performed my first service at 1200 miles didn't notate the WO that I complained about it. I should have forced the issue. So now that I have 4500 miles they feel I made it worse and they are doing this purely under Goodwill. So the rotors will be shipped to the dealer and I will bring them the front wheel to swap the rotors. I'll buy some good Sintered HH pads and call it done!! I have 6700 miles on my bike now and they have been made no worse for wear with the additional miles placed on them. I bought this bike new in April 12th and put 6700 miles on it in 2 months its not like its a year old.
Terrible 1st warranty experience with Ducati hope I don't need to interface with them on much else, feel like it will always be like this.
Sorry to hear that, hopefully they are not charging you 170/hr labor! The fact that they say you "made it worse" by driving it more miles is BS, its not like they could straighten the rotors before and not now, they have to replace either way. I've had another conversation on mine and am to get get an update tomorrow. It looks like they are going to cover them 100%. If that is the case, I'll likely have 6000 miles by the time they get the parts. One of the points that was made by Ducati is that the OEM pads have so much metal in them it's causing issues warping the rotors which makes no sense to me. If that is true the rotors are way to thin OR they are made from inferior materials. They said they cannot recommend anything but OEM parts but "recommended" wink wink standard semi-metallic pads if the customer agrees. You may consider that first, they are cheap and if you don't like them you are not out much. I plan to report back after tomorrows update which is only happening because I was very persistent with the GM of the dealership who for whatever reason was refusing to call me back. Likely because the employees were saving their ass and not fessing up to the true problem they created. Once I got him, he understood and seems to be running with the ball. All toy dealers seem to be in a complete state of chaos since covid.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yeah, sure my front brakes moan when lightly applied on my '16 Multi. I believe its a product of having thin (and light) rotors on this high performance machine. The rotors resonate when gripped lightly by the calipers. I'm sure it can be cured by putting thicker and heavier rotors on the wheel. I'm not willing to go there.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts