Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Annoying as all get out. Worse when it rains. I took the pads off and they looked fine, but I went ahead and swapped out for EBC HH pads. Under hard braking there is no noise. Under slow braking it is annoying as hell. Any time you roll slow to a stop its loud. Any suggesstions? Ive only had the bike for less than a year and just turned 4k miles on it. Bought it new form the dealer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Same thing here, with a 2020 MTS 1260s Grand Tour, just 500 miles on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm going to back up Strega here. I have used EBC HH pads on numerous bikes, American, Japanese, and Italian. I personally prefer them for their stopping power and longevity. They also perform well under excessive heat. That being said, the coating on the back of the pads is tough, really tough. Application of the anti-squeal makes a huge difference. On many cars, pads come with a silicone-like sticker for the back of the pads. Some manufacturers use a very thin stainless shim. HH pads do not come with this, nor do I suspect EBC thinks it is a necessity.
Irritating? You bet. Solution simple? You bet. Make it part of your regular maintenance habit. Like they said about Brylcreem....."a little dab will do ya".

·
Registered
128 Posts
Same problem here under 2 to 3 mph almost like a low moaning sound. If I use a blue brillo and scrub up the discs it will stop for about 30 miles then start again.
2019 Multi 1260S - 2,200 miles. Rotors were warped and replaced under factory warranty at 600 miles. The brakes work fine but that slight moaning sound when I walk the bike around the garage drives me nuts

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
Same problem here under 2 to 3 mph almost like a low moaning sound. If I use a blue brillo and scrub up the discs it will stop for about 30 miles then start again.
2019 Multi 1260S - 2,200 miles. Rotors were warped and replaced under factory warranty at 600 miles. The brakes work fine but that slight moaning sound when I walk the bike around the garage drives me nuts

I should add I had the dealer look at the brakes at 1,900 miles they said this noise is very common in Multistrada bikes with M50 calipers

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all of the feedback. Just bought some o fthe anti-squal stuff form the parts store as well as some brake lube. Going to remove the new pads, completely clean the calipers, make sure everything is lubed, put the anti squeal on the back of the pads, and also scotchbright them as well as clean the rotors again real quick. I am very picky about things, so hearing that "moaning" pushing the bike around, coming to a stop and esp when its wet/raining just annoys the hell out of me even though it may not be a mechanical failure. Heading out to South Dakota from Cincinnati in a few weeks for a week of riding and want to get this fixed. Will work on this tonight and post what happens!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Let us know if that worked or if the noise comes back after a few hundred miles...thanks and ride safe

·
Registered
12 Posts
Same issue here. 2020 MTS 1260S GT with ~2300 miles on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Annoying as all get out. Worse when it rains. I took the pads off and they looked fine, but I went ahead and swapped out for EBC HH pads. Under hard braking there is no noise. Under slow braking it is annoying as hell. Any time you roll slow to a stop its loud. Any suggesstions? Ive only had the bike for less than a year and just turned 4k miles on it. Bought it new form the dealer.
Hi,another simple long lasting solution I have used for years is to use brass shimming sheet cut to suit to act as a barrier between the vibrating pad and the caliper

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you for all of the feedback. Just bought some o fthe anti-squal stuff form the parts store as well as some brake lube. Going to remove the new pads, completely clean the calipers, make sure everything is lubed, put the anti squeal on the back of the pads, and also scotchbright them as well as clean the rotors again real quick. I am very picky about things, so hearing that "moaning" pushing the bike around, coming to a stop and esp when its wet/raining just annoys the hell out of me even though it may not be a mechanical failure. Heading out to South Dakota from Cincinnati in a few weeks for a week of riding and want to get this fixed. Will work on this tonight and post what happens!
Were you able to the squeal to go away?

·
Registered
2019 Multistrada 1260s
2 Posts
I had the same issue with my 2019 1260s. It was more of a groan than a squeal. Was noisy enough that people would look at me when I stopped slowly. Dealer tried working on the rotors and pads but same problem. Eventually got dealer to replace rotors and pads under warranty -- wasn't easy -- I had to be persistent. Ducati said it was a result of how I was braking -- NOT! Still get a "groan" now and then but so much better than it was.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the same issue with my 2019 1260s. It was more of a groan than a squeal. Was noisy enough that people would look at me when I stopped slowly. Dealer tried working on the rotors and pads but same problem. Eventually got dealer to replace rotors and pads under warranty -- wasn't easy -- I had to be persistent. Ducati said it was a result of how I was braking -- NOT! Still get a "groan" now and then but so much better than it was.
I'm having a hell of a time working with my two local Ducati dealerships. They said the sound is normal but replaced the brake pads because I went through Ducati North America after being frustrated with the dealer...but the noise is still there. I took a video (sorry it sucks, I'm not a vlogger) of the sound, is this what you were experiencing? Anyone else know what it could be?

Password for the video is "abc123"...I couldn't find a way to make it public.

·
Registered
2019 Multistrada 1260s
2 Posts
I'm having a hell of a time working with my two local Ducati dealerships. They said the sound is normal but replaced the brake pads because I went through Ducati North America after being frustrated with the dealer...but the noise is still there. I took a video (sorry it sucks, I'm not a vlogger) of the sound, is this what you were experiencing? Anyone else know what it could be?

Password for the video is "abc123"...I couldn't find a way to make it public.
Exactly..... I get the "groan"now and then moving the bike in the garage more than on the road now since pads and rotors replaced. I haven't gotten a reasonable explanation as to why it happens.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Like they said about Brylcreem....."a little dab will do ya".
LOL. Very few young enough to ride and old enough to get that reference. Nicely played.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Exactly..... I get the "groan"now and then moving the bike in the garage more than on the road now since pads and rotors replaced. I haven't gotten a reasonable explanation as to why it happens.
Any advice on how to get them to replace the rotors?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Jumping in here, had an old account/old email but could not get it to work so created a new.. 2019 1260S, 3k miles. I have the same squeal issue, slow speed push around, honk, honk, honk from the front brakes and the same sound with significant pulsation coming up to a slow speed stop. It's equivalent to GRAB, release, GRAB, release, it's unnerving and dangerous in some respects to the point I'd just rather ride my Indians. 850lb+bikes which stop on a dime compared to this Ducati and no brake fade and no rotors warping! This issue started just after my initial service at 800 miles, dealer is 2hrs away so I've been holding off until another service.

Took it in early last week for an annual, really wanting the brakes looked at and fixed, I had already put a runout gauge on them and they are off by .20+. It's been a week and outside of some alien speak (about not being able to capture the info from the tech) they are not giving the impression it will be warranty. The bike has been ridden mildly and there is no reason the rotors should be warped.

There are many complaints about this problem on this forum, some get warranty coverage...more than once...some get hosed. Looks like the OEM rotors are over a grand for the pair plus pads and labor. I will not go for that if they are going to warp again.

Has anyone replaced the stock rotors and pads with something else? I see Brembo has them for around $500 but they appear similar or same as what Ducati is selling.

I'll provide an update once I get more info from the dealer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have an appointment in June to go over the problem (3rd time). I got Ducati North America involved and they said that they dealerships would have to go through the escalation process for them to do anything about it. My guess is that the dealers didn't want to put in the work the first two times. We'll see how it goes.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts