Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang,

I have a leak coming out of my oil filter cover...see pic below. I checked the 3 bolts, they are snug. I loosened them and re-tightened evenly and it's still seeping out of one side. Not sure what I should do next. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Well I would take the cover off and see if there is gasket or o-ring and if they are ok condition. Or if the cover is only put in place with some sealer? Then clean it and put back like the factory meant it to be.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think there is a gasket in there..just the two o-rings on the inside of the cover.

I am assuming if I pull the cover off to inspect, I will lose a good amount of oil?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As I am doing my research I noticed ducati replaced that oil cover from part number:

247P5861A - COVER, OIL ELEMENT

(which is no longer available) to the part number below...anybody know why?

247P5862A - COVER, OIL

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
As I am doing my research I noticed ducati replaced that oil cover from part number:

247P5861A - COVER, OIL ELEMENT

(which is no longer available) to the part number below...anybody know why?

247P5862A - COVER, OIL
A couple of things. With regards to the cover, what's going on here is a typical example of a design revision for that part. Here's the scenario... We release vehicle X in a specific model year. All of the parts which comprise the vehicle have a part number and typically a revision, e.g. 247P5861A. In this example, the letter "A" at the end of the PN is most likely the revision.

Let's say over the course of that model year, as we start to compile user/maintenance data, we find that there is a problem with the oil cover... it leaks on a fairly regular basis. We evaluate the design, correct for any deficiencies found, and the updated part is now saved as 247P5861B. If the problem is bad enough, and could potentially lead to a larger or dangerous failure, a bulletin is issued to service centers to replace the original cover with the updated one.

Fast forward a couple of years. We have a new vehicle model, and the chassis, engine, induction system, etc. etc. are all based on the model from the previous model year, e.g., the 2015 899 begat the 2016 959. The oil cover for the new engine has been a persistent issue, so it is addressed again, only this time, it's for a new vehicle, so we create a new version of the cover, which gets a new vehicle specific part number, e.g., 247P5862A.

As the engine cases are pretty much identical, and no changes were made to the physical configuration of the oil filter receptacle on the case, the new cover can be retrofitted on the old vehicle. At this point, a service bulletin is issued which is a notification that part number(s) 247P5861A and 247P5861B have been superseded by 247P5862A.

A rather long winded explanation, but having dealt with this at work for, well, forever, it's a subject near and dear to my heart.

As far as why the cover would still be leaking, there could be several issues. First thing you should do is drain the oil, then remove the cover and clean the mating/sealing faces. Depending on the age and condition of the o-ring a replacement may be called for. Depending on how many times the fasteners which hold the cover on have been cycled, e.g., torqued, un-torqued, they may need to be replaced. Regardless, when reassembling, make sure to hand tighten the cover in a diagonal pattern across the fasteners, and then torque to the specified value. It is important not to over-tighten.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Also when you take the cover off, check the threads of the mating surface in the engine side. Sometimes thread part kind of rises from surface when tightened too much. Would be good to countersunk those little.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Found the culprit...looks like someone wedged or banged on the cover to get it off initially...I put some liquid gasket on the gouge spot...it's now barely barely leaking...so I will just buy a new cover. Dealer did the first oil change on the bike before I bought it...another reason to do your own service!

Here is a pic...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts