Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people.

I have a 2018 Multistrada 1260 and want to know how to take out the tail light. Does anybody know how this comes out? I bought a new tail light that has the turn signals intergraded in it but I can't seem to figure out how to get the light out. All these screws under the tail are out, but the light won't come out. Your help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I believe you also have to remove the four screws that are in the storage area under the pillion seat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Jason!
This is the drawing the dealer showed me. Getting to the light is a pain. I removed all the bolts under the passenger seat and nothing moved. I removed all the bolts under the tail section too and that did nothing. I'll try again.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thanks, Jason!
This is the drawing the dealer showed me. Getting to the light is a pain. I removed all the bolts under the passenger seat and nothing moved. I removed all the bolts under the tail section too and that did nothing. I'll try again.

Looks like the screws (3) that hold the tail light secure into the plastic fender under-section might not be accessible from under the passenger seat as indicated in these drawings - Star Twin: the online shop for Ducati OEM spare parts and accessories.
Star Twin: the online shop for Ducati OEM spare parts and accessories.

The entire fender/plate-holder may need to come down before you can get to the tail light mount screws. Also the posts that the tail light screws go into appear to go through rubber dampeners so the tail light would need to slide straight back about a 1/2 inch and out of those rubber dampeners before it can be removed. It's probably a tight fit and there might be some resistance as the posts slide out.

If you can in fact access the screws from under the seat (hard to tell from these drawings, photos of the bike would help). you could back them out until almost all the way out and then push on the head of the screw to help slide the posts out of the rubber dampener.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, hard to explain in typed word.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
That's what I was thinking too. I have a whole new tail light with turn signals in it, so I don't need the turn signals. Would love it if that whole piece came off and the bike still looked good. I can't access the tail light screws from under the passenger seat. You can tell for the "plate holder" drawing, that it's impossible to get to the tail light itself. What you said about removing the fender/plate holder first might have to happen first. That is going away too, so I can try taking if off to see if I can get to the screws.

Just wish it was easier to get to the tail light screws. Not sure why Ducati put that whole ugly fender/plate holder piece on there anyway. It would be better if it was just the tail light and the plate was under the tail. Thanks for your help, Jason.

Wondering if the Rear Frame Comp has to come off.

·
Registered
138 Posts
It looks like all the screws that hold the fender assembly onto the bike are forward (or towards the front of the bike) of the tail light, look at the screws labeled #1 in this drawing - Star Twin: the online shop for Ducati OEM spare parts and accessories.

Now they only show you two places but you can see there are at least 4 going down from the top (with rubber dampeners) and then at least 2, probably 4 from underneath (with spacers). Maybe with those out the fender assembly will drop down and you can access the tail light mounting screws.

Ok just found another reference - https://issuu.com/ducatiomaha/docs/ducatiomaha_2018_multistrada1260?e=1222863/59412846 and there are 6 of the #1 screws listed

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes. I took out all the screws under the tail. It's just wedged in there. I have to be delicate and make sure that I don't break it. I'm going to work on it tonight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you resolve the puzzle, if not I took my 2018 Multistrada 1260 S tail section apart to get the the wiring and expose the tail light.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts