Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Well I have had two BMW motorcycles 1200KRS and 1200RT with absolutely no trouble with either in over 22K miles on both. I've been thinking about an MTS for something a little different but after reading all the problems these bikes have I may rethink my decision.
It's the Internet. Nobody posts when everything is working fine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's the Internet. Nobody posts when everything is working fine.
True. I'm not pissed off or anything about my bike being in the shop. Some parts come from Italy, hence the delay. And I had bad luck with tech availability. My bike is a 2017 that sat around for about 2 years unused (not by me) and that might have caused issues.

·
Registered
398 Posts
True. I'm not pissed off or anything about my bike being in the shop. Some parts come from Italy, hence the delay. And I had bad luck with tech availability. My bike is a 2017 that sat around for about 2 years unused (not by me) and that might have caused issues.
If it makes you feel any better, my '16 was in the shop for a little over six weeks thanks to a cracked coolant tank. I guess they were revising the part after a spate of failures and I got caught in he changeover window.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Update.....

So my delaer got the new parts in from Ducati (wrist pin, piston etc.) and the new wrist pin is right at the minimum spec called for in the service manual so yes, it is a sloppy fit. My dealer is perplexed and called called Ducati about it who shrugged and said it is within spec. Dealer says they are getting a proper wrist pin MADE on their dime by a local machine shop. This is nuts. I called Ducati NA and let em have it. My bike has been gone 6 weeks going on 7 and not sure when it will be back. I told Ducati 2 options....new motor or they buy the bike back. Needless to say they are taking my claim serious and it was on their weekly meeting agenda yesterday witheir reps. They actually called me back and said after discussions, I will be receiving a call from the dealer and the regional rep to discuss "options"...whatever that means.

This is absolutely rediciulous. I am sure in the end the bike will be fixed but I am not sure I will keep it. It's just one bad part...if left alone over many miles it would wear the piston and small end of the connecting rod. I went and looked at all the pieces as it's apart and everything, including the piston look new...not s scuff or mark on anything which is impressive. I am hoping Ducati does the right thing here........

·
Registered
79 Posts
This is absolutely rediciulous. I am sure in the end the bike will be fixed but I am not sure I will keep it.
If this is the case...

I skimmed over the rest of the forum so I'm not sure if this has been ruled out, but the only way id see you NOT losing money is a Lemon Law claim with new bikes losing value so quickly. If its fixed, you'd have to sell it as used and lose a couple thousand where if you had a Lemon law claim all financing fees (If applicable), taxes, dealer fees etc. would be refunded.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong by all means.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,303 Posts
Lemon law is based upon where you registered the bike, not where you bought it.

If you haven't personally engaged with Ducati North America yet, I would suggest you do so. I don't mean through the dealership, call them directly, leave a message, tell them you're not happy and explain why. I can't promise you they will make it right to your satisfaction, but they do care about stuff like this. If all your communications are going through the dealer, though, it's unlikely that DNA knows you are upset. I dealt with a similar situation earlier this year and once I made that phone call, things started to happen.
Maybe DNA has stepped up their customer service over the last few years. I never even got a return call from them after leaving several voicemails back when my '10 multi was DOA for 2 months from antifreeze erosion.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Ducati is in many ways a different company today than they were back then. I've bought two new bikes from them since 2014, and seen the change in that time-frame, but it started when Audi bought the company in 2012.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
So far, DNA has been pleasant to deal with...they have listened and taken my case seriously which is impressive. Amazingly, they have called me back on 2 occasions and I have spoken with the same rep every time. I have kept a cool head and talked respectfully but made my stance known. I did not yell and I made them understand I own a top tier Ducati motorcycle and I expect this to be handled correctly. That being said, how resolution is handled in the end will determine if I ever buy another Ducati again (or keep this one). We will see.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
80,000 plus KMs on my Multi (2010) and not one single issue, PS i have 2 KTMs for back up, just in case.:wink2:
Yeah, my back up is a 2016 SDR special edition, lol. I know these are good bikes....I just got a bad one. My luck.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If this is the case...

I skimmed over the rest of the forum so I'm not sure if this has been ruled out, but the only way id see you NOT losing money is a Lemon Law claim with new bikes losing value so quickly. If its fixed, you'd have to sell it as used and lose a couple thousand where if you had a Lemon law claim all financing fees (If applicable), taxes, dealer fees etc. would be refunded.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong by all means.
In most states, the only way a lemon law can be enacted is that there be a substantial defect and that it happens more than a few times after being repaired. One thing that generally doesn't affect lemon laws are timeframe of the repairs. Your bike could be in the shop for a year and it's not going to matter.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
In most states, the only way a lemon law can be enacted is that there be a substantial defect and that it happens more than a few times after being repaired. One thing that generally doesn't affect lemon laws are timeframe of the repairs. Your bike could be in the shop for a year and it's not going to matter.
That is not true at all.....most laws have a clause that relates to it being in the shop for 30 consecutive days or more.....

"To qualify for relief, you must only report a defect or non-conformity in your automobile to the manufacturer, by and through its authorized dealers, within eighteen (18) months after the date of delivery or eighteen thousand (18,000) miles driven on the vehicle, whichever occurs first. I.C. § 24-5-13-7. While the Indiana Lemon Law requires a consumer to provide a vehicle manufacturer with a total of four (4) attempts or thirty (30) days to repair a defect or non-conformity that substantially impairs the use, value, or safety of the vehicle, the repair attempts may occur throughout the lifetime of the vehicle. I.C. § 24-5-13-8. Therefore, even if you first reported your problems to the dealer at 17,999 miles or at seventeen (17) months and twenty (20) days after your purchase, you may qualify for relief under the Indiana Lemon Law".

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hmmm. So it's substantial defect and (not an OR) multiple repair attempts, unless the repair blows past 30 days? My mistake if that's true. I had a potential lemon issue with a new car years ago and the time issue never came up, just the number of times it was in the shop for the same thing. And damn - over the course of a year I had to be close to the 30 days.

Maybe you have more lemon power than I thought you have. With your bike I'd probably invoke the lemon law and start arbitration. You'd think they would have been in a rush to get your bike fixed knowing time was running out.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Hmmm. So it's substantial defect and (not an OR) multiple repair attempts, unless the repair blows past 30 days? My mistake if that's true. I had a potential lemon issue with a new car years ago and the time issue never came up, just the number of times it was in the shop for the same thing. And damn - over the course of a year I had to be close to the 30 days.

Maybe you have more lemon power than I thought you have. With your bike I'd probably invoke the lemon law and start arbitration. You'd think they would have been in a rush to get your bike fixed knowing time was running out.
Looks like a resolution will be found on Tuesday...and that is, Ducati is going to give me an allowance above and beyond trade in value. Waiting to see what that "allowance" will be. I know at this point I do not want the bike back. :frown2:

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 2006 Multi has been great all these years. I really hope your situation gets resolved soon because the Multi really is a great model. Hoping what you have is a fluke and you get to enjoy it soon enough

41 - 56 of 56 Posts