Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my 2018 Multi 1260 S will be about a year old this August and with only 2 K miles on her, about 3 months ago, I started experiencing a very obvious cold start tapping/knocking issue that would go away when it warmed up. I finally decided to bring it to the dealer and they agreed it was not normal. They did some basic troubleshooting including removing the clutch components but no luck. Initially, Ducati said it was "normal" which was complete BS but after taking a good video and sending it to the mother ship, they finally authorized a tear down to see what's up. The dealer seems to think (and I agree) that either the piston, piston pin or cylinder is out of spec on the vertical cylinder. I will hopefully know whats up this week and I pray I get the dang thing back before the end of August, lol. Thankfully I have my Super Duke R to ride or I would be pretty pissed.....:frown2:

Stay tuned.....

·
North Carolina, USA
3,303 Posts
Good thing you've got the super duke. My '10 multi was down for over two months several years ago waiting on backordered engine parts. It was during my prime riding season as well. I was not fun to live with.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yeah Ducati parts is the worst, basically 2-3 weeks is the norm, i ended up buying a KTM ENDURO 690R as a backup bike.

Ducati need to get their shit together in this department or have a couple of loaner bikes at each location.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Yeah Ducati parts is the worst, basically 2-3 weeks is the norm, i ended up buying a KTM ENDURO 690R as a backup bike.

Ducati need to get their shit together in this department or have a couple of loaner bikes at each location.
I waited six weeks for a replacement for a cracked coolant expansion tank this past spring. I gotta say having a KTM as a backup is a bold move as I had a 690SMC that was down most of a summer waiting on a fuel pump and some other parts. I finally made my own out of a California Cycleworks Ducati part.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL....honestly, I am hoping they just ship in a new motor.....It will be quicker and easier but I guess we will see, lol.

I also just took delivery of a very nice 1990 NSR250R that I am having a ball riding so for now my mind is occupied on other stuff. However, I may make Ducati add to my warranty for time without the bike!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
These are the threads that get me thinking I don't want to buy another Ducati. Bummer.
From all I can see, this is truly a fluke and the Multi as a whole seems very reliable. That being said, how they fix it will determine whether I keep it or not, lol. :|

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, my 2018 Multi 1260 S will be about a year old this August and with only 2 K miles on her, about 3 months ago, I started experiencing a very obvious cold start tapping/knocking issue that would go away when it warmed up. I finally decided to bring it to the dealer and they agreed it was not normal. They did some basic troubleshooting including removing the clutch components but no luck. Initially, Ducati said it was "normal" which was complete BS but after taking a good video and sending it to the mother ship, they finally authorized a tear down to see what's up. The dealer seems to think (and I agree) that either the piston, piston pin or cylinder is out of spec on the vertical cylinder. I will hopefully know whats up this week and I pray I get the dang thing back before the end of August, lol. Thankfully I have my Super Duke R to ride or I would be pretty pissed.....:frown2:

Stay tuned.....
Sorry to hear about that! I have noticed something similar on my '16 1200 S when it is really cold out. Like a clacking or knocking sound until it warms up. Any chance you could post that video to compare notes?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry to hear about that! I have noticed something similar on my '16 1200 S when it is really cold out. Like a clacking or knocking sound until it warms up. Any chance you could post that video to compare notes?
Dealer took the vid...I don't have it unfortunately. But this did start happening over the winter in colder weather as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
These are the threads that get me thinking I don't want to buy another Ducati. Bummer.
tell me about it. I bought a new Diavel 1260S in May and it's been in the shop since early June. Ducati is refunding me this week in compliance with CA lemon law. Just signed the settlement.

Now I'm trying to decide if I should buy another Diavel 1260s or an MTS Pikes.

I'm a bit gun shy on buying any Ducati after this nightmare tough. Really not sure what to do....

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I see. I sure hope you get it a satisfactory resolution soon...and please keep us posted!
I will for sure.....they are starting tear down today after Ducati wanted them to verify a few things like belt tensioners, etc. It is definitely something in the motor and I will be very curious what they find.:|

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
tell me about it. I bought a new Diavel 1260S in May and it's been in the shop since early June. Ducati is refunding me this week in compliance with CA lemon law. Just signed the settlement.

Now I'm trying to decide if I should buy another Diavel 1260s or an MTS Pikes.

I'm a bit gun shy on buying any Ducati after this nightmare tough. Really not sure what to do....
What went wrong? Similar stories are why I went with a nice used low mile bike from an enthusiast. That has it own set of headaches, but it leaves a lot of $$ on the table.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What went wrong? Similar stories are why I went with a nice used low mile bike from an enthusiast. That has it own set of headaches, but it leaves a lot of $$ on the table.
It started leaking oil from the airbox vent tube around 400 miles. After 2 trips to the dealership, Ducati north america wanted to replace the cylinders, pistons, and rings. Basically a blow-by problem. But by the time the engine kit came in and the time it would take to do the work I was over 30 days out of service which is the cutoff for California lemon law. So I told them I want a new bike and they agreed to refund my purchase price with tax title reg etc.

They tried to convince me to take the bike back with the fix and offered an extended warranty but I declined. I paid top dollar for a brand new bike and didn't want it to turn into top dollar for a bike with a rebuilt engine.

I had a 2015 Diavel carbon that I loved but the damn key fob never worked and the gas gauge broke 5 times. I ended up just getting rid of it.

Really starting to wonder if Ducati is even remotely capable of producing a fully functioning motorcycle. Yet, I still want one......bc I'm stupid and don't learn my lesson.

I'm 50/50 between another diavel or MTS Pikes. Nothing out of Japan does anything for me and I read BMWs are even less reliable than Ducs. Nothing from Triumph excites me, and something too exotic like MV Agusta would just be annoying to deal with such a tiny dealer footprint.

I test rode a 2019 Pikes Peak and liked it a lot. Though the gearing is way too tall. Would put a 14 tooth front sprocket on immediately. It's really hard to understand why Ducati would gear the MTS so objectively stupid.

·
Registered
338 Posts
It started leaking oil from the airbox vent tube around 400 miles. After 2 trips to the dealership, Ducati north america wanted to replace the cylinders, pistons, and rings. Basically a blow-by problem. But by the time the engine kit came in and the time it would take to do the work I was over 30 days out of service which is the cutoff for California lemon law. So I told them I want a new bike and they agreed to refund my purchase price with tax title reg etc.

They tried to convince me to take the bike back with the fix and offered an extended warranty but I declined. I paid top dollar for a brand new bike and didn't want it to turn into top dollar for a bike with a rebuilt engine.

I had a 2015 Diavel carbon that I loved but the damn key fob never worked and the gas gauge broke 5 times. I ended up just getting rid of it.

Really starting to wonder if Ducati is even remotely capable of producing a fully functioning motorcycle. Yet, I still want one......bc I'm stupid and don't learn my lesson.

I'm 50/50 between another diavel or MTS Pikes. Nothing out of Japan does anything for me and I read BMWs are even less reliable than Ducs. Nothing from Triumph excites me, and something too exotic like MV Agusta would just be annoying to deal with such a tiny dealer footprint.

I test rode a 2019 Pikes Peak and liked it a lot. Though the gearing is way too tall. Would put a 14 tooth front sprocket on immediately. It's really hard to understand why Ducati would gear the MTS so objectively stupid.

Why do cars have such superior reliability to motorcycles? BMW cars work, why not their bikes?

I have owned two Ducatis and they both had obvious quality assurance or poorly speced out components that would be easy enough to get right if the motivation was there. Very frustrating indeed.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I am in a similar dilemna....I paid big money for this bike even with a 5 year warranty and the full termi/map. I am not going to settle for a repair...if they find something I want a new motor or the bike is gonna be sold or traded. This really sucks quite honestly and if I didn't have another bike I would be supremely pissed!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts