Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Their reviews (generally) suck. I don't like their personalities or their smugness. It's Man-bun and Skinny Jeans blabbering for frikken 21min~?!?! Less is more jacka$$, ever heard of editing? Rant over. ;)

Funny that they still like the Original better. :nerd:

·
Premium Member
3,327 Posts
Their reviews (generally) suck. I don't like their personalities or their smugness. It's Man-bun and Skinny Jeans blabbering for frikken 21min~?!?! Less is more jacka$$, ever heard of editing? Rant over. ;)

Funny that they still like the Original better. :nerd:
I've liked most of their reviews... and his concern regarding the lengthening of the bike mirrored my feelings pretty accurately. I guess I see more enthusiasm from them then smugness... that giggle when he rides a fast bike is pretty funny (I do the same thing).

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
^^^^^^ That's ok Dave, don't be too hard on yourself. No one is perfect. ;)

Thinking about it more, it's what they didn't say that's the issue imo.

The engine! They shoulda been talking up that engine like mad but it's surprising they didn't. Maybe they forgot b/c it was underwhelming or...(insert theory here)?

The BIG diff btwn last yrs multi and this one is the ENGINE and they really didn't emphasize it as much as I would have thought. Or how if any different the bike performs with the new more powerful engine.

They didn't talk about service intervals, if the TKC 80's fit w/the new swingarm, seat hights etc... They basically turned OFF the rear abs, backed it in corners and popped wheelies for 20min. Shit they didn't even mention how it compares to it's competitors the BMW or KTM. Ever read a review from Performance Bikes magazine. They do an enema on the bike. lol.

To do a 21 min review on a 10 yr old bike and not mention any of those things is ,,,, really just strapping a gopro and fucking around.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
17,914 Posts
I thought that was a great review. I understood better what this bike is all about better than anything I’ve read.

And I was amazed at the great job he did at staying on his side of the road without a painted stripe. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
352 Posts

The engine! They shoulda been talking up that engine like mad but it's surprising they didn't. Maybe they forgot b/c it was underwhelming or...(insert theory here)?

The BIG diff btwn last yrs multi and this one is the ENGINE and they really didn't emphasize it as much as I would have thought. Or how if any different the bike performs with the new more powerful engine.

They didn't talk about service intervals, if the TKC 80's fit w/the new swingarm, seat hights etc... They basically turned OFF the rear abs, backed it in corners and popped wheelies for 20min. Shit they didn't even mention how it compares to it's competitors the BMW or KTM. Ever read a review from Performance Bikes magazine. They do an enema on the bike. lol.

To do a 21 min review on a 10 yr old bike and not mention any of those things is ,,,, really just strapping a gopro and fucking around.
A couple years ago they compared the 2015 DVT to the XR and they did clearly note that there was a hole in the torque curve, etc. Seems like that was something to follow up on in this review. To be fair, it was "man bun" and not "skinny jeans" who was talking about the engine last time.

That said I admired skinny jeans willingness to horse around near the edge of what looked like a nice drop-off. More than I would do.

·
Premium Member
3,327 Posts

Yea that's pretty much what he does in a good chunk of his videos... just hop on the bike and ride to work or ride it somewhere and give immediate impressions. I'm ok with that because it's pretty much what I do when I ride a new bike... this is great, but that sucks...

I guess I didn't expect 'in depth' from him... the European guys do that stuff. The German guys are great (1000ps) - if they'd only switch to English they'd be my go to for online bike reviews.

He did pull a pretty effortless wheelie and commented about how hooligan-able the bike was... it's a pretty big long bike to wheelie that easily.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I won't watch a 21 minute video. They need to have a five minute highlights reel and then link to the full 20 minute one.

I am surprised, based on the comments here, that they did not comment on the new engine and what appears to be a massive improvement in torque. I test rode a 2016 and definitely felt that power drop. That would really sway me to the new 1260 unless I could get a 2016 for $5k off sticker. I'll wait for more feedback, especially from someone here who owns the 1200 and either upgrades or at least rides one long enough to offer an apple to apples comparison.

I can't believe the handling is thrown off as much as some feared and I guess this video reveals but I am a recreational rider not a track guy so maybe I wouldn't notice.

Still can't decide if I want a new MTS at all given the two issues my 2016 Monster has had. It blew oil the first time I rode it and at the first service the head was leaking oil. That doesn't give me a ton of confidence on a new 25k bike but also doesn't mean I won't get a good one or a bad other-brand-of-bike and when it comes to competition for the MTS there is nothing else anyway.

NC

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does any owner of a '15, ' 16, or '17 DVT feel that their bike lacks stability at high speeds? I haven't heard complaints here. I love the agility of my '17 and of the '15 before it. I would not want to lose agility for more stability. I'll need to ride an '18 to know for sure how the changes to the geometry affect the bike in my world.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
17,914 Posts
With that stretched swing arm you shouldn’t need to worry about wheelie control. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
3,327 Posts
Does any owner of a '15, ' 16, or '17 DVT feel that their bike lacks stability at high speeds? I haven't heard complaints here. I love the agility of my '17 and of the '15 before it. I would not want to lose agility for more stability. I'll need to ride an '18 to know for sure how the changes to the geometry affect the bike in my world.
I've had my 15 moving right along a couple times and never felt there was a stability problem. I HAVE felt the front end was too light when I had the bike loaded up but adjusting the suspension helped most of that (though I really need a heavier spring, which afaik nobody makes yet).

·
Registered
193 Posts
But how many of you guys who like your pre-2018 MTS bikes grew up with sport bikes? I grew up off road and still prefer the handling of a 19" or 21" front tire. I love my Monster 821 (apart from two oil leaks that has me partially convinced to NOT chance any new water cooled Ducati) and know that it is a wicked cornering machine compared to anything else I have ridden but can't see the changes made to the MTS being anything but positive for anyone other than a track rider. Now that may be a real issue for some of you but for most riders who want a sport touring bike, the changes may be very worthwhile. If the bikes goes from 90/10 to 85/15 in favor or sport to touring I'll be better off. But if the change is 70/30 or god forbid 60/40 then that is too radical.

Ducati needs to balance this as best they can. If they take away too much performance then buyers will now longer see themselves as getting a really hot bike that happens to do a great job of touring. It is one thing to alienate, say the 5% of the riders who really want max performance but will be okay with just a little bit less. It is another thing altogether to alienate the other 95% like me who still want a sport tourer but if they turn the bike into BMW then there is no reason to buy the Ducati. If Lamborghini or Ferrari start to over emphasize posh appointments, comfort and rear visibility and switch power plants to tuborcharged inline 4's they'll lose not just the hard core race drivers but all the other buyers who want real high performance but still a somewhat radical race car and not a civilized Honda or BMW. We have Japan and Germany for that.

NC

·
Registered
665 Posts
Yep I think the 2016 DVT is less stable than my 2011 with Ohlins SCU. Especially at high speed corners. I did some trackdays on the old one, pretty stable. I did 1 trackday on the new one, scared.... Also on highways never had any problems with panniers mounted, on the 2016 DVT you have to stop at 200km/u because of the wiggle

·
Registered
665 Posts
Yep I think the 2016 DVT is less stable than my 2011 with Ohlins SCU. Especially at high speed corners. I did some trackdays on the old one, pretty stable. I did 1 trackday on the new one, scared.... Also on highways never had any problems with panniers mounted, on the 2016 DVT you have to stop at 200km/u because of the wiggle
btw i bought the new 1260, so I'm very curious to see if the high speed corner handling is better

·
Registered
379 Posts
I’ve been at those speed without issues (not long cruising, though. Only a few minutes at a time) What tires were you running? I stick to Pirelli angel GT’s
As long as no one's looking, I’ll add, “Me too.” My Ducati Link app shows a highest recorded speed a little north of 120mph, hit on a long straight section in one of the valleys east of here. Don’t recall any particular twitchiness. 10/10, would do again.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
How come the hp and torque are less on the new one but cc displacement is bigger? Will fuel economy be less as well?

1 - 20 of 79 Posts